whats going on in La Ciénaga today???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Removing only 200 homes is the proverbial "drop in the ocean" compared to the number of shacks left on the public park wetland area in La Cienaga.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Many of the houses in both the Callejon and La Cienaga, which may or may not be built of public wetlands, do not have deslindes. Most people there cannot afford one. However, some of the nicer houses and businesses, and there are surprisingly some very nice houses in those barrios, are having deslindes done. A lot of questionable titles in those barrios.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Many of the houses in both the Callejon and La Cienaga, which may or may not be built of public wetlands, do not have deslindes. Most people there cannot afford one. However, some of the nicer houses and businesses, and there are surprisingly some very nice houses in those barrios, are having deslindes done. A lot of questionable titles in those barrios.
There were a lot of nice houses destroyed in one day along the beach as well a number of years ago. I had to go to Sosua to avoid the teargas smell.
Deslindas are really hard to get in public park protected wetlands like La Cienaga.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There were a lot of nice houses destroyed in one day along the beach as well a number of years ago. I had to go to Sosua to avoid the teargas smell.
Deslindas are really hard to get in public park protected wetlands like La Cienaga.
When I say nice houses, I'm talking about some that are probably worth $150K or more. The colmadon was one of the business I saw doing a deslinde. Most of the ones I saw were relatively close to the main highway. Official signs were posted around the properties as requied. I have never seen a map delineating exactly where the boundary of the protected wetland area is.

Where were these nice houses that you saw bulldozed down?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
No. La Cienaga is in back of Costa Azul immediately south of where the 9 hole golf course used to be.
(There are also problem in Callejon de la Loma which is down the road from the Ocean Dream Plaza, but that is not the subject of this thread.)

Thousands of people are still going to have their sewage go into the public wetlands filled in by the former mayor. Unless of course this really is just the start and they evict all of them. I am doubtful of that since all of them is in the thousands now.
Oh joy! Hepatitis A, E.coli, dysentery cocktail

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
So, you are saying this is just a start with the first 200 places? And all the rest will have to go as well? We are talking thousands of people if that is true.
I guess anyone living in Costa Azul should also be worried - who knows what the "protected wetland" will eventually turn out to be, in this country

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I say nice houses, I'm talking about some that are probably worth $150K or more. The colmadon was one of the business I saw doing a deslinde. Most of the ones I saw were relatively close to the main highway. Official signs were posted around the properties as requied. I have never seen a map delineating exactly where the boundary of the protected wetland area is.

Where were these nice houses that you saw bulldozed down?
The houses that were taken down a number of years ago ran along the edge of the ocean from the west end of kite beach up to almost where El Rocon used to be with the exception of the few large ocean front houses (one of those remaining homes that was not taken down was owned by the owners of Cabarete East and Taco Tuesdays) that still remain on the road that goes to where El Rocon used to be. A wall was put up blocking the view of the ocean along the main highway, but the houses taken down ran all the way to across from Costa Azul.

As for the boundaries of the El Choco Park, I suspect those boundaries are, how would I say it, a bit "fluid". Especially when it comes to La Cienaga.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I guess anyone living in Costa Azul should also be worried - who knows what the "protected wetland" will eventually turn out to be, in this country
No, worries from the protected wetland situation. Deslindas are not a problem in Costa Azul.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I can't help thinking of the double standards of some people who believe that it's fine to stay forever on a 30-day tourist card and "how dare the government think of enforcing the rules" but when it comes to local living illegally on someone else's land they are practically driving the bulldozers.

Reactions: Africaida

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There's a reason the barrio is called
The houses that were taken down a number of years ago ran along the edge of the ocean from the west end of kite beach up to almost where El Rocon used to be with the exception of the few large ocean front houses (one of those remaining homes that was not taken down was owned by the owners of Cabarete East and Taco Tuesdays) that still remain on the road that goes to where El Rocon used to be. A wall was put up blocking the view of the ocean along the main highway, but the houses taken down ran all the way to across from Costa Azul.

As for the boundaries of the El Choco Park, I suspect those boundaries are, how would I say it, a bit "fluid". Especially when it comes to La Cienaga.
In that particular case, the houses were built within the 60m setback, no?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I can't help thinking of the double standards of some people who believe that it's fine to stay forever on a 30-day tourist card and "how dare the government think of enforcing the rules" but when it comes to local living illegally on someone else's land they are practically driving the bulldozers.
Don't know who you're speaking of, but I am totally legal and support the removal of squatters. Two totally different topics. Squatting is stealing. They offer nothing and contribute nothing to the community. As one poster accuratly stated it is indeed sad for the children but the parents are irresponsible to put put in nicely.

Reactions: JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Didn't you say you were in the hotel business? Surely you don't mind if they set up a few cardboard houses on your lot and let them use the lobby restroom and pool

m555

Mar 2, 2004
Someone showed me a "casa" for sale there in 2004, 2500$. I declined... I had some great nights in the colmado there !

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
"Although it's quite obvious what is going on, I still can understand, because many have lived on other's property for decades without any issues at all. So why all of a sudden does an unknown owner appear out of nowhere, when they have let this go on for decades?"

Are you saying that because the "lawful owner" decides one day after years that he/she is going to do something with their land after letting it sit, that they have somehow forfeited their rights and ownership?
Exactly. If these owners pretend they had no knowledge then they should be arrested or have charges brought against them for being complicit in illegal building. Of course they knew. If you haven't visited your property in 20 years nor had someone watching for you, or you did but allowed poor people to squat, or more likely scammed, then you should no longer have rights to the land. You were a delinquent owner.
It's a scam as real owners wait then swoop in and claim structures as their own and sell the better ones or charge the residents outrageous prices for lots they built a house on.
It's a repeated scam but there is a lot of this scamming being done now on the North Coast right now.
Not sure what roll Abinader's government plays?