Motorcycle Registration

arete92

Jul 5, 2018

Apparently motorcycles need to be registered here now? Also they had the online service available but closed it for w/e reason I dont know so now you have to stand in line? is this one of those things that I can just pay 500 pesos for as a "ticket" once a year or waste 2 hours in a line up only to to have the paper rejected cause it has a crease in it?

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fines begin this week , I understand....$1,000 pesos....... moto confiscation is the next step for those not reg'd

Lots of articles on it.....

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Fines begin this week , I understand....$1,000 pesos....... moto confiscation is the next step for those not reg'd

Lots of articles on it.....
They had a big operative here in the park a few weeks ago, registering. Yep, it's coming - no more joyriding if you don't have a license and ceddie.
And adding: matricula

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Reactions: 2020 and cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They will never enforce it. Digesett are Paper Tigers.
No helmet, no lights, a strobe headlight, no papers, no problem.
Intentionally running red lights - "I See Nothing" - everyone in Digesett is Sgt. Schultz.
Insurance? - now that's funny...

• Haha
Reactions: 2020 and windeguy

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
They will never enforce it. Digesett are Paper Tigers.
No helmet, no lights, a strobe headlight, no papers, no problem.
Intentionally running red lights - "I See Nothing" - everyone in Digesett is Sgt. Schultz.
Insurance? - now that's funny...
They are registering bikes, not too unlike before, but now directly as opposed to putting it in the hands of the agent. Eventually, if you're not in the registry, the bike is confiscated, as W² mentioned. The licence will have to match the matricula owner. I agree with W, they mean business

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Watch what happens tomorrow (monday July 18)..... if the fines start piling up..........

8 of 10 traffic deaths are motos.....

If your wife/child was one - you'd want to know the owner of the moto

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Watch what happens tomorrow (monday July 18)..... if the fines start piling up..........

8 of 10 traffic deaths are motos.....

If your wife/child was one - you'd want to know the owner of the moto
The Motos are the worst. Especially the drug and alcohol induced wheelie rage. Next hopefully some regulation as to the noise level they produce. No one should be allowed to ride on a 100 dollar bike. One of the most ghetto components of this culture. The passing on the sidewalk, wrong way in traffic, loud mufflers so they think their 50 dollar bike is a 1800cc HD. No headlight, no tail light. Horns that distract traffic. It's a national embarrassment, but i guess one day at a time!

Adding: not to mention illegal racing on main public roads.

Reactions: 2020

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The reg'n process seems to be a roll out one.... the big cities are the current targets

Emphasis (and fines) will spread as time progresses.... the north coast will feel it eventually

Interesting to follow

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I have the authentic papers for mine but I do not have a license ( using an expired Canadian license since June ) can i still register? and is there anyway to do this online instead of doing the 3 hour line thing here?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have the authentic papers for mine but I do not have a license ( using an expired Canadian license since June ) can i still register? and is there anyway to do this online instead of doing the 3 hour line thing here?
This is the link on getting a DR class 01 motorcycle license. I was with my wife when she did this recently It took half a day at the INTRANT office in Puerto Plata. There was no way she could have done what she did on line, but that might be different than just "registering" a motorcycle.

Since you cannot do the above procedure for licensing and what also seems to be registering unless you have a DR cedula, I would say you absolutely cannot do this if I understand this correctly. See the above link and see if you agree.

It also begs the question that even if someone has a license to drive a car in a foreign country, if you don't have a separate endorsement for driving a motorcycle, could you ever legally drive a motorcycle here at all? And of course how much enforcement will there be on all of this. , etc...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santo Domingo.- The opportunities for motorcyclists in five provinces to register their vehicles have already run out.
Yesterday was the last day that you could ride a motorcycle without registration in the National District, Santo Domingo and San Cristóbal, Santiago, and San Francisco de Macorís.
The National Institute of Traffic and Land Transport (Intrant) did not agree to give another extension, on top of those it had given since June 2021.

Looks like the north coast is not yet a target

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
This is the link on getting a DR class 01 motorcycle license. I was with my wife when she did this recently It took half a day at the INTRANT office in Puerto Plata. There was no way she could have done what she did on line, but that might be different than just "registering" a motorcycle.

Since you cannot do the above procedure for licensing and what also seems to be registering unless you have a DR cedula, I would say you absolutely cannot do this if I understand this correctly. See the above link and see if you agree.

It also begs the question that even if someone has a license to drive a car in a foreign country, if you don't have a separate endorsement for driving a motorcycle, could you ever legally drive a motorcycle here at all? And of course how much enforcement will there be on all of this. , etc...
My Canadian drivers licence is class GM - General Automobile AND MOTORCYCLE ( the M ) Hope they understand this :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My Canadian drivers licence is class GM - General Automobile AND MOTORCYCLE ( the M ) Hope they understand this :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I guess it depends on if INTRANT considers the license valid. When I was in the INTRANT office recently, I was told a foreign license was valid for up to 90 days. :cool:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In Cabrera the 'licensing' part involved a short driving test - weaving thru those orange cones - to prove your skills.
Nothing written, I was told.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Phase 1 is to update the matricula database. I assume you will be ok for now as long as you are the owner and its not an Acta de Venta from the agency. Soon, you will need a license to match name on matricula. Not sure how soon.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
In Cabrera the 'licensing' part involved a short driving test - weaving thru those orange cones - to prove your skills.
Nothing written, I was told.
You heard wrong. The tests involve carting a 7-member family up and down the loma while carrying 2 suitcases and drinking a chatica of rum

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Santo Domingo.- The opportunities for motorcyclists in five provinces to register their vehicles have already run out.
Yesterday was the last day that you could ride a motorcycle without registration in the National District, Santo Domingo and San Cristóbal, Santiago, and San Francisco de Macorís.
The National Institute of Traffic and Land Transport (Intrant) did not agree to give another extension, on top of those it had given since June 2021.

Looks like the north coast is not yet a target
OK so this was only for the target provinces. But I dont understand their logic; let's say the people who live in Santo Domingo ... so they just missed their shot and now they can't register their motorcycle ever? that seems a bit crazy, but I mean i'm not surprised.