What's the Difference between Americans and Dominicans?

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
I am writing a script on the cultural differences between Dominicans and Americans. What are some of the big differences that you have noticed?

So far I am notating that:
* Americans are more polite (like always saying "please, thank you, may I, etc.) Dominicans are more outgoing
* Americans always plan, Dominicans live in the present
* There's more socializing in Dominican communities
* Dominicans are more straight forward, Americans tend to us euphemisms a lot more (especially for sex and dating)
* Dominicans tend to be more traditional Catholics in that they don't like relics or images of non Christian religions. America is becoming more secular.
* Family is much more important to Dominicans
* Americans care more about careers and wealth, whereas Dominicans care more about relationships and family
* Americans rely on the internet way more than Dominicans

Any other major differences that I forgot? Any points that I got completley wrong? Thanks in Advance.

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
can't see why it's important, and by the way their are many latino Americans.
It's important to those who are curious about culture. Yes, I am very aware there are Latino Americans, I have some in my family and I grew up with many more. I don't see how that is relevant as Latino Americans =/=Dominicans. It would be like saying I want to learn about the French, and you reply with "there are many Cajuns."

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I am writing a script on the cultural differences between Dominicans and Americans. What are some of the big differences that you have noticed?

* Americans are more polite (like always saying "please, thank you, may I, etc.) Dominicans are more outgoing
* Dominicans are more straight forward, Americans tend to us euphemisms a lot more (especially for sex and dating)
* Dominicans tend to be more traditional Catholics in that they don't like relics or images of non Christian religions. America is becoming more secular.
* Americans care more about careers and wealth, whereas Dominicans care more about relationships and family

Any other major differences that I forgot? Any points that I got completley wrong? Thanks in Advance.

Possibly related to your second to last point is the focus on education.

Reactions: A.P.Colorado

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I don’t think you are necessarily wrong, but here are some considerations that came to my mind as I read your post:

* Dominicans are more straight forward, Americans tend to us euphemisms a lot more (especially for sex and dating). Dominicans use euphemisms, but maybe in different ways.

* Americans care more about careers and wealth, whereas Dominicans care more about relationships and family.
Careers yes, wealth no. Maybe the older generation of Dominicans care more about family. But this is changing. Watch how Dominicans living abroad flaunt “wealth” to their countrymen.
Younger Dominicans, particularly women, are also slowly making advances in careers.
On that note, relationships in the DR are often complex and can be polygamous and dysfunctional.

I think this is true for the older generation, but not the younger.

Traditional Catholics exist in the DR, but like anywhere else, many people follow the rules of the church if and when they see fit.

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
I don’t think you are necessarily wrong, but here are some considerations that came to my mind as I read your post:

* Dominicans are more straight forward, Americans tend to us euphemisms a lot more (especially for sex and dating). Dominicans use euphemisms, but maybe in different ways.

* Americans care more about careers and wealth, whereas Dominicans care more about relationships and family.
Careers yes, wealth no. Maybe the older generation of Dominicans care more about family. But this is changing. Watch how Dominicans living abroad flaunt “wealth” to their countrymen.
Younger Dominicans, particularly women, are also slowly making advances in careers.
On that note, relationships in the DR are often complex and can be polygamous and dysfunctional.

I think this is true for the older generation, but not the younger.

Traditional Catholics exist in the DR, but like anywhere else, many people follow the rules of the church if and when they see fit.
Awesome Thank you!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think it is always dangerous to make such generalizations.

I agree, I am sure Upper class Dominicans are as worried about education and the likes than many Americans.

People who are poor live in the present, they don't have any other choices, it's not cultural i.e many traits that seem to fascinate Gringos about Dominicans are linked to poverty and can't be find anywhere poor.

I don't find Dominicans straightforward at all, yeah they tell you you are fat or skinny but in many other instances, they are not at all as they tend to be non-confrontational.

Dominicans don't care about wealth ? You gotta be kidding me.

Americans rely on the internet way more than Dominicans ? Give your contrasena to Dominicans so that they don't have to rely on paqueticos and let's see.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

May I be so forward as to ask your age range, and that of the targeted group/audience you intend on writing for?

• Haha
Reactions: Africaida

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
Dominicans don't care about wealth ? You gotta be kidding me.

Americans rely on the internet way more than Dominicans ? Give your contrasena to Dominicans so that they don't have to rely on paqueticos and let's see.
I think you are miss reading me. I did not say "Dominicans do not care about wealth", but rather it is not as prioritized as much as it is by Americans. I don't see that as negative, as from my observations Dominicans value family over greed.

I stand by my statement that Americans rely more on the internet more than Dominicans. I have come across many local business and organizations that do not have a website or even a Facebook page; that is extremely rare in the US. I am not trying to portray that as a good or bad thing, more so just as a matter of fact.

I am not trying to disparage either group. Everyone can learn more about themselves when observed by an outsider. I don't want the writing to be mean; I want it to be lighthearted and insightful.

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
May I be so forward as to ask your age range, and that of the targeted group/audience you intend on writing for?
Sure! I am in my mid-30s. Ideally, the writing will be as universal as possible. Granted that it is nearly impossible, so I'll tilt it towards the current audience demographics which are:

69% US or Canadian
9% Dominican
1% European
21% other/unknown

Age group: 25-44 years

88% male / 12% female

One of the goals is to keep it lighthearted, fun, and insightful. I know internet flame wars get a lot of clicks and interactions, but that's not what I'm going for. This is the last video we uploaded and want to keep the same tone; Positive and lighthearted.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think you are miss reading me. I did not say "Dominicans do not care about wealth", but rather it is not as prioritized as much as it is by Americans. I don't see that as negative, as from my observations Dominicans value family over greed.

I stand by my statement that Americans rely more on the internet more than Dominicans. I have come across many local business and organizations that do not have a website or even a Facebook page; that is extremely rare in the US. I am not trying to portray that as a good or bad thing, more so just as a matter of fact.

I am not trying to disparage either group. Everyone can learn more about themselves when observed by an outsider. I don't want the writing to be mean; I want it to be lighthearted and insightful.

OK, understood. I didn't mean to imply that you were disparaging a group over the other. I also believe that some of the traits are not necessarily cultural but out of necessity.

Regarding internet, in that sense I agree with you business wise. It may change with times as younger generations are so much more into it.

I don't disagree that Dominicans value family more. However, many Dominicans could tell you a story where a family member value greed over family. It s actually quite common, but greed is universal.

Reactions: ramesses

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I agree, I am sure Upper class Dominicans are as worried about education and the likes than many Americans.
Hey, is that passive/aggressive post aimed at me?? 😄

To be clear, I was referring more to the culture at large as most Dominicans are not upper class. As an example, education beyond elementary school is not mandatory in the D.R. while in the U.S., people will go into debt to get a worthless degree from a non-competitive college.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If you put attention you will notice Christian crosses, statues of saints and virgins (most created and placed there by the government), quotes referring to the coming of Christ and other religious quotes on vehicles and on walls, etc all over the place. Santo Domingo is actually the city with the most buildings and monuments/parks that from the sky make the sign of the cross in all of the Americas. In fact, Plaza de la Bandera has to be the largest Christian cross in the hemisphere. Most holidays and official non-workable/non-school days are religious in nature. Jesus Christ is present even on the main desk of the judges at the Supreme Court. There is a large Christian cross on the auditorium of the Central Bank. Major meetings such as those done by the Central Bank once a year to go over how the economy did starts with a prayer. Inaugurations from the government and many private ones includes a short sermon from a priest, a short prayer, and the spread of Holy Water. The national flag has a Christian cross (and its not the white one that divides it into four cuadrants, that actually means the uniting of all the colors and races that make up the Dominican people) and its the only flag with a Christian cross. In addition, right underneath the cross is a Bible, the only flag with that too. Its very common for Dominicans to have a Christian cross or a painting of Jesus Christ or of the virgin in their homes. Believe it or not, its very common in upper class homes to have a Christian cross with Jesus Christ hanging on the wall behind the main bed of the husband/wife. You will see stickers of the virgin on many windshields and/or rosaries hanging from the rearview mirrors of many vehicles. That is only the tip of the iceberg regarding this topic.

In the USA, other than the quote "In God We Trust" which is on every dollar bill and that every president is sworn into power by putting his hand on the Bible, religion is actually not as ubiquous. One thing that will never happen is the US government putting statues of religious figures all over the place. The division of church and state is a long held belief by Americans and it shows, even though it is the most religious country in the developed world.

Last edited:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sure! I am in my mid-30s. Ideally, the writing will be as universal as possible. Granted that it is nearly impossible, so I'll tilt it towards the current audience demographics which are:

69% US or Canadian
9% Dominican
1% European
21% other/unknown

Age group: 25-44 years

88% male / 12% female

One of the goals is to keep it lighthearted, fun, and insightful. I know internet flame wars get a lot of clicks and interactions, but that's not what I'm going for. This is the last video we uploaded and want to keep the same tone; Positive and lighthearted.

Much success to you, and all you endeavour to achieve with/or from this project of yours.

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
OK, understood. I didn't mean to imply that you were disparaging a group over the other. I also believe that some of the traits are not necessarily cultural but out of necessity.

Regarding internet, in that sense I agree with you business wise. It may change with times as younger generations are so much more into it.

I don't disagree that Dominicans value family more. However, many Dominicans could tell you a story where a family member value greed over family. It s actually quite common, but greed is universal.
Excellent. It seems like we are understanding each other better. That's part of my intent. I want to bring people closer together, not drive them apart. ☮️

Reactions: CristoRey