What's the Difference between Americans and Dominicans?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I'm not sure if these have been mentioned so far, but Trust and Compassion are key differences I have noted. Dominicans tend not to trust anyone until they really really know them. So on first meeting the guard is usually up and you often get a strong "don't mess with me" vibe. To get a good example of this, just try returning something to a store. In the US you'll get an apology, sorry it didn't work out, how can we make things better. In DR you'll immediately get that look that says "I know you are trying to trick me and it's not going to work" followed by hours of inspections and papers to sign and refusals to help. And compassion. In first-world countries I think people, generally, are keen to help each other. If someone has an accident, usually people will rush to help. In DR outside of close friends this compassion just doesn't exist. And often there is a sense of Schadenfreude (gaining pleasure from someone else's misfortune). When areas get flooded for example, I just hear "well they are stupid for living there" from everyone I know. And when there's a car accident in DR it is common for people to rush to see what they can steal from the car or its occupants.

Reactions: rfp and nanita

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
These types of projects tend to evolve while they are being created, but that is the direction I am leaning towards right now. Do you have any suggestions? It is tough to balance being entertaining while also being tasteful; I am certainly open to input and ideas.
I'm having difficulty with this statement. I think the "difficulty" is within you and your idea as to how to monetize the subject matter. The subject matter, if in fact there is one here, is super complex and is not going to be answered (IMHO) in the manner you have taken. And, "it is tough to balance being entertaining while also being tasteful". . .means what? You don't know how to address the issues of poverty and make the DR fit with the glossy pictures of beaches? You are troubled because there is really no fit here and it is coming off as yet another piece of "creative" work by using Youtube to generate a few centavos?
You did ask for opinions on a public forum board. These are only my opinions since you asked. I wish you good luck with this project especially since you are new to this country . Perhaps you will see something thru your camera lens that can help this country with its' many problems.

Reactions: Russell and Caonabo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'm not sure if these have been mentioned so far, but Trust and Compassion are key differences I have noted. Dominicans tend not to trust anyone until they really really know them. So on first meeting the guard is usually up and you often get a strong "don't mess with me" vibe. To get a good example of this, just try returning something to a store. In the US you'll get an apology, sorry it didn't work out, how can we make things better. In DR you'll immediately get that look that says "I know you are trying to trick me and it's not going to work" followed by hours of inspections and papers to sign and refusals to help. And compassion. In first-world countries I think people, generally, are keen to help each other. If someone has an accident, usually people will rush to help. In DR outside of close friends this compassion just doesn't exist. And often there is a sense of Schadenfreude (gaining pleasure from someone else's misfortune). When areas get flooded for example, I just hear "well they are stupid for living there" from everyone I know. And when there's a car accident in DR it is common for people to rush to see what they can steal from the car or its occupants.
Sounds like a miserable place to be.
I can't imagine why anyone would want
to live in a country like the Dominican Republic.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds like a miserable place to be.
I can't imagine why anyone would want
to live in a country like the Dominican Republic.
I was scrapping a old marbete sticker off my Santa Fe on friday and I guy stopped and told me gas would take it right off, open his moto tank , and dip a rag in and gavexit to me. Sure enough it worked great. A smile and a wave is what it cost. Yesterday our contactor ran out of gas in front of our house. A guy from our street stopped on a motorcycle and gave him a ride to get gas and brought him back. I have no idea if he gave him anything, but the fact his he offered to help. I see examples of this stuff daily. Dominicans are helpful, but yes many will rob you blind if given the opportunity

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was scrapping a old marbete sticker off my Santa Fe on friday and I guy stopped and told me gas would take it right off, open his moto tank , and dip a rag in and gavexit to me. Sure enough it worked great. A smile and a wave is what it cost. Yesterday our contactor ran out of gas in front of our house. A guy from our street stopped on a motorcycle and gave him a ride to get gas and brought him back. I have no idea if he gave him anything, but the fact his he offered to help. I see examples of this stuff daily. Dominicans are helpful, but yes many will rob you blind if given the opportunity
I see people helping each other all the time where I live, myself included. Example: i knocked on my neighbors door this morning to let him know his keys were still in the door lock from last night. No biggie. He's had to knock on my door a few times to let me know mine were still in the lock from the night before as well. Glass is always half full around here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Vinegar will help peel a sticker off your windshield also. Not as fast as Bob said gas does though.

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think someone living in a tourist area will have experiences somewhat different from most of the DR. People that usually move to certain parts of the coast are of a different kind.

As for the flooding example, often case people build houses in flooding areas and next to a river that overflows everytime there is a storm. This is despite that its flooding tendencies are well known, including the people that build houses in a constant flooding area. Compassion for stupidity has a limit. Its like people that build a house next to a volcano and then wonder why they have lava in the living room. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I think someone living in a touist area will have experiences somewhat different from most of the DR. People that usually move to certain parts of the coast are of a different kind.

As for the flooding example, often case people build houses in flooding areas and next to a river that overflows everytime there is a storm. This is despite that its flooding tendencies are well known, including the people thst build houses in a constant flooding area. Compassion for stupidity has a limit. Its like people that build a house next to a volcano and then wonder why they have lava in the living room. :rolleyes:

Same thing in USA. Build in a flood plain and whine for the taxpayers to bail you out.

Reactions: bienamor

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
This is a bit of a derailment. I highly doubt the Dominicans/Haitians who live in flood prone areas are property owners investing with any insurance expectations in the same way it happens abroad.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
These types of projects tend to evolve while they are being created, but that is the direction I am leaning towards right now. Do you have any suggestions? It is tough to balance being entertaining while also being tasteful; I am certainly open to input and ideas.

Why limit yourself to one project? You can't be all things to all people, and neither can your video. If you're looking to make money put a couple of them out there, see which one succeeds, and then follow up accordingly. I believe it was Shakespeare who once famously said: "throweth them in totality aforward thine wall, and seeth which one sticks".

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
I'm having difficulty with this statement. I think the "difficulty" is within you and your idea as to how to monetize the subject matter. The subject matter, if in fact there is one here, is super complex and is not going to be answered (IMHO) in the manner you have taken. And, "it is tough to balance being entertaining while also being tasteful". . .means what? You don't know how to address the issues of poverty and make the DR fit with the glossy pictures of beaches? You are troubled because there is really no fit here and it is coming off as yet another piece of "creative" work by using Youtube to generate a few centavos?
You did ask for opinions on a public forum board. These are only my opinions since you asked. I wish you good luck with this project especially since you are new to this country . Perhaps you will see something thru your camera lens that can help this country with its' many problems.
Not so much the glossy picture of the beeches, but balancing being truthful without sounding like an elitist. America doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation of being respectful when describing third world countries (eg Donald Trumps "shithole countries"). The challenge is describing the poverty without having the "I'm better than you" undertones. Trying to avoid the "White Man's Burden" type of thinking if possible.
And yes monetization and entertainment value are important haha. I got to eat too. I appreciate your opinion; straightforward but not harsh just for the sake of being harsh.

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
I think someone living in a tourist area will have experiences somewhat different from most of the DR. People that usually move to certain parts of the coast are of a different kind.
Very true! I thought of using the line "Judging the DR from only living in Sosua would be like judging the US from only living in Las Vegas." Ended up using a different caveat since most of the audience won't know anything about Sosua.

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
Why limit yourself to one project? You can't be all things to all people, and neither can your video. If you're looking to make money put a couple of them out there, see which one succeeds, and then follow up accordingly. I believe it was Shakespeare who once famously said: "throweth them in totality aforward thine wall, and seeth which one sticks".
100% agree. Was that really a Shakespeare quote ??!!?? Haha I've heard it before didn't know it was attributed to Shakespeare

Challenger007

Nov 2, 2020
Springfield, Illinois
The main difference in mentality, attitude to work, to society. In general, people are different in every country. This is due to the conditions of life in the past, cultural heritage. In general, this is all a complex issue. Well, plus it all depends on the person. There are people who think they owe everything.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I am still baffled concerning this request to determine the difference between Dominicans and Americans.
I know who Dominicans are ; they are a single culture which in some cases have other traces of different cultural blood in their veins, but most are Dominicans.
What Americans?
The Tourists? the population of America? Native Americans? Jewish Americans,? Italian Americans ? Canadian Americans?????etc etc etc
I don't get it, America is a nation of multi-cultural peoples including the Original Indigenous peoples.
How in the name of all common sense can you ask a multi-cultural forum like dr1 to judge the differences between Americans and Dominicans when the cultural criteria was not provided?
Sorry I cannot contribute more than an expression of my total ignorance about characteristics of Americans...except one who rooked our investors out of several hundred thousands of dollars here in the DR. no Dominican did that.
A moot thread in my opinion for what it is worth.
Let the crap roll!!

Reactions: johne and monfongo