What's up with all the dengue cases?

Feb 7, 2007
My lil'one had dengue last December. Also anotehr lil kid I know had dengue, in SD. Both were treated with lots of liquids and support therapy. There is actually no medicine for dengue, only support treatment.

People (especially little children) have to drink lots of liquids, this is important. With fever onset drink lots and lots of Gatorade, to rehydrate.
As with any fever, your blood platelets will decrease, but the decrease with dengue is significant. With dengue, it is important to make platelets tests every 2 days (they are cheap, anyway, even for poor people without insurance - $150 pesos a pop). The decrease may not show up until after 3-4 days after the dengue fever onset.

You can go to doctor but there is NO MEDICATION, they will prescribe observation and support therapy (rest and liquids).

If the blood platelets drop significantly the hemoragic version of dengue fever may appear. This is usually caused by dehydratation and a good percentage of hemoragic dengue fever patients go into shock, and as mentioned, stats are black for those that go into shock.

To increase blood platelets:
A blended juice (just use your blender)
- GUAYABA (guava) -- this is the primary and most important ingredient, you can do without others, but this one is the must!
- CEREZA (cherry)
- REMOLACHA (beet root)
and some water and sugar.
The effect on blood platelets increase is almost immediate.

Remember to keep drinking lots of liquids, especially Gatorade, this is even what doctors say, it helps you increase chemical balance within your blood.

Reactions: mountainannie

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
My lil'one had dengue last December. Also anotehr lil kid I know had dengue, in SD. Both were treated with lots of liquids and support therapy. There is actually no medicine for dengue, only support treatment.

People (especially little children) have to drink lots of liquids, this is important. With fever onset drink lots and lots of Gatorade, to rehydrate.
As with any fever, your blood platelets will decrease, but the decrease with dengue is significant. With dengue, it is important to make platelets tests every 2 days (they are cheap, anyway, even for poor people without insurance - $150 pesos a pop). The decrease may not show up until after 3-4 days after the dengue fever onset.

You can go to doctor but there is NO MEDICATION, they will prescribe observation and support therapy (rest and liquids).

If the blood platelets drop significantly the hemoragic version of dengue fever may appear. This is usually caused by dehydratation and a good percentage of hemoragic dengue fever patients go into shock, and as mentioned, stats are black for those that go into shock.

To increase blood platelets:
A blended juice (just use your blender)
- GUAYABA (guava) -- this is the primary and most important ingredient, you can do without others, but this one is the must!
- CEREZA (cherry)
- REMOLACHA (beet root)
and some water and sugar.
The effect on blood platelets increase is almost immediate.

Remember to keep drinking lots of liquids, especially Gatorade, this is even what doctors say, it helps you increase chemical balance within your blood.

Another thing to drink is Pedisol. It is usually taken as a drip and tastes nasty but has Potassium and Sodium and all the other goodies the body craves when under pressure.

Feb 7, 2007
Another thing to drink is Pedisol. It is usually taken as a drip and tastes nasty but has Potassium and Sodium and all the other goodies the body craves when under pressure.

Yes, I think this is called the "suero" it comes in 0.5 lts bottles, and comes with various flavors (that do not make any big difference in bland taste, though). Can be bought OTC in most pharmacies and many supermarkets.

May 29, 2006
I have a stagnant swimming pool next door- any ideas about what to throw in the water that might help - such as oil or petrol- the water is completely black and the pool is full

A couple cups of vegetable oil should do the trick. Petrol will likely evaporate in a few days; maybe that would be better? You could also use a chlorine pool shock, but that would prob be expensive down there.

bns

Nov 24, 2009
Both myself and my partner were hospitalized for dengue a couple of weeks ago.

It was not pleasant for sure but kudo's to the staff at the hospital in Sosua.

The 1st time is kind of safe regarding mortality but as we live here we are terrified of mosquitos now.

I have since learned legions about mosquito control mostly from Judy at the pet lodge. If you want to know what she suggested please PM me as I am not sure about commercial endorsements on this site.

Raquel

Feb 1, 2003
had it

Had dengue in puerto plata, it was a nasty combination with samonell food posioning, I was so sick i dont want to remember the pain. I hope i never get it again. though u cant do much to prevent it .

DRinvestor785

Dec 13, 2009
Clorox

This is a danger to the health of your family. I would buy a couple of bottles of chlorine bleach and add them directly to the pool. This is a contained swimming pool so by doing this you are not contaminating the environment, but you will kill any mosquito larva.

Good Luck!

A couple cups of vegetable oil should do the trick. Petrol will likely evaporate in a few days; maybe that would be better? You could also use a chlorine pool shock, but that would prob be expensive down there.

miozio

May 23, 2009
I'm living in Sosua and my friend down the street has dengue. She has been very sick so it is here for sure. shouldn't they fumigate? What is done to control it?

two of my friend had it 3 weeks ago, both had spent more than a week in a local hospital in Sosua!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I'm living in Sosua and my friend down the street has dengue. She has been very sick so it is here for sure. shouldn't they fumigate? What is done to control it?

Note that wendy was writing about last novembers outbreak

but yes

the government should fumigate

do you have any sort of government up there in the North Coast?

Oh,, I know that POP has a government.. but what about Sosua?

Can you get to the alcade?