WhatsApp

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Get Claro - WhatsApp message are free of data charges
So, you are saying that Claro does not charge for outgoing WhatsApp messages on pre-paid calling,
... and will not charge me if I turn on data?

Can I send you the "bill" Bill if they do?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
So, you are saying that Claro does not charge for outgoing WhatsApp messages on pre-paid calling,

I know a little off topic but what the heck .............. If you turn on Data please be sure to do the following or Claro will dip into your piggy bank of pesos credit without asking.....

I recently got a text from Claro about Navegacion Libre. Here are some details - https://www.claro.com.do/personas/servicios/promociones/220/.

Translated by Google it reads:

Notice of compliance with Resolution No. 069-17 on Free Navigation on Prepaid Cell Phones
Now in your mobile Claro Prepaid you can have control of the Free Navigation service, you can always be connected to the Internet in an easy and simple way, without degrading or blocking your Internet in the network of maximum speed 4.5G. This mode allows you to surf without interruption on your Claro Prepaid mobile when you are not browsing with a Prepaid Internet Package.

Activate your Free Navigation by dialing * 112 # and you can browse without interruptions on your mobile Prepaid at RD $ 1.50 per MB, including taxes.

Steps to follow to activate Free Navigation on mobile Prepaid

Dial * 112 # from your mobile.
Select option 4 - Free Navigation.
Then option 1 - Activate.
Choose option 2 - Prepayment / Control.
Select option 1 - Yes (Confirming that you want to activate the service).
Whenever you surf the Internet free every time you consume 500MB you will be receiving an SMS notifying your consumption during the month, by provisions of Resolution No. 069-17 issued by the Indotel.

If you want to have more information about Free Navigation in your Claro Prepaid you can contact us by dialing * 91 from your mobile, free of charge.

Mine was activated but it can be deactivated by choosing Option 2 in the last step. I have only just deactivated mine, so time will tell if it stops Claro taking all my remaining pesos when my internet package runs out.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Go talk to them. I have a post paid account but they say all WhatsApp messages and all Claro to Claro phone calls are data and talk minutes FREE

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I use it a lot, especially when I need to write a lot or have a longish "conversation". You can access your archived conversations, do group chats, etc. Basically the same as being on your phone.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

It also links up with translate app so you can write in English then it will translate and send in
other languages.

Jul 28, 2014
Just go into Airplane mode on your phone, connect to Wifi, WhatsApp is now free, no hassles, no worries of charges, flip back to regular mode when required...

Jan 17, 2009
That's correct. BUT as I understood the issue here, the phone needs to be reset to factory which requires downloading WhatsApp again. Then you need the original SIM if you want to use the same WhatsApp number you were already using. Otherwise, you need to get a new WhatsApp account with the SIM currently installed to be able to do the verification.

Probably not much help but you don't need the SIM card in the phone that WhatsApp is associated with. I remove my DR Claro WhatsApp card when stateside. With my USA SIM card installed I can still use WhatsApp on my phone and pc.

The catch 22 for you will be as you said the SMS verification.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just go into Airplane mode on your phone, connect to Wifi, WhatsApp is now free, no hassles, no worries of charges, flip back to regular mode when required...

The big downside is you won't be able to receive or make phone calls while in airplane mode. Would not be easier just to buy a 7 day unlimited data package? Me thinks.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's correct. BUT as I understood the issue here, the phone needs to be reset to factory which requires downloading WhatsApp again. Then you need the original SIM if you want to use the same WhatsApp number you were already using. Otherwise, you need to get a new WhatsApp account with the SIM currently installed to be able to do the verification.

Correct, correct, to do factory reset definitely need SIM card installed associated with existing WhatsApp account.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The big downside is you won't be able to receive or make phone calls while in airplane mode. Would not be easier just to buy a 7 day unlimited data package? Me thinks.

Just turn off data when you are using Wifi and you can get and receive calls and use Whatsapp free. Go into settings, it is easy.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just turn off data when you are using Wifi and you can get and receive calls and use Whatsapp free. Go into settings, it is easy.

but I thought in airplane mode sending and receiving phone calls were blocked?

Either way I just buy one week of data. Phone automatically switches from home Wi-Fi to cell Wi-Fi when out of range and automatically switches back. For a couple bucks a week I can't be bothered turning this on and that off. Too much work for me.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
but I thought in airplane mode sending and receiving phone calls were blocked?

Either way I just buy one week of data. Phone automatically switches from home Wi-Fi to cell Wi-Fi when out of range and automatically switches back. For a couple bucks a week I can't be bothered turning this on and that off. Too much work for me.

Airplane mode and data are two separate things. With data off you can make calls, receive calls, and message people using Claro, and of course you can use Wifi in your house or free to use Whatsapp.

With Claro post paid it switches the Wifi and data off and on automatically. With pre paid you need to do it yourself.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Airplane mode and data are two separate things. With data off you can make calls, receive calls, and message people using Claro.

but my reply was to the post about going into airplane mode where I am under the impression you can't make phone calls.

poster said go into airplane mode to use WhatsApp and I am saying doing that you won't be making any Claro phone calls or receiving any. Is this correct?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
but my reply was to the post about going into airplane mode where I am under the impression you can't make phone calls.

That is correct. But you don't need to go into airplane mode, just switch off data. When data is off they cannot charge for internet at all. Only for calls.

This is how you do it on Android.

Swipe down from the top of the screen, select Settings, press Data usage and then flick the Mobile data switch from On to Off - this will completely turn off your mobile data connection. Note: you will still be able to connect to the internet and use apps as normal if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.Apr 20, 2017

And if you are using the latest Pie you only need to swipe down to see the data pin.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That is correct. But you don't need to go into airplane mode, just switch off data. When data is off they cannot charge for internet at all. Only for calls.

This is how you do it on Android.

Swipe down from the top of the screen, select Settings, press Data usage and then flick the Mobile data switch from On to Off - this will completely turn off your mobile data connection. Note: you will still be able to connect to the internet and use apps as normal if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.Apr 20, 2017

but........... switching off data you can't use WhatsApp which is what this is all about

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
but........... switching off data you can't use WhatsApp which is what this is all about

Wrong. You use Whatsapp on your Wifi connection. Try it now and you will see. You can use Whatsapp with no Sim card at all if you have Wifi.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
too much confusion for me. 140 pesos a week and no need to go into settings or toggle switches, everything runs smoothly no matter where i am

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
where do i get Wi-Fi connection if walking down the street?

Of course you can only get Whatsapp with either Wifi or data. That is what I am talking about. If you have no Wifi you can only use it with data. I am trying to save you money on your data by telling you to turn off data when using Wifi. If you have data on you will be charged when you can just use Wifi.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Wrong. You use Whatsapp on your Wifi connection. Try it now and you will see. You can use Whatsapp with no Sim card at all if you have Wifi.

I walk out my apartment I no longer have Wi-Fi. If I want to use WhatsApp i need a data connection. Si?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Of course you can only get Whatsapp with either Wifi or data. That is what I am talking about. If you have no Wifi you can only use it with data. I am trying to save you money on your data by telling you to turn off data when using Wifi.

but my phone automatically switches to Wi-Fi when in range. It goes chirp, chirp, chirp and i know it switched.