WhatsApp

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I walk out my apartment I no longer have Wi-Fi. If I want to use WhatsApp i need a data connection. Si?

Yes, but you are not getting my point. No need to use data when you are in a Wifi zone. And if you don't turn off the data it will charge you when you can just use your Wifi.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes, but you are not getting my point. No need to use data when you are in a Wifi zone. And if you don't turn off the data it will charge you when you can just use your Wifi.

you don't get my point. when i am in a wi-fi zone my phone does not use data but automatically switches to wi-fi.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
you don't get my point. when i am in a wi-fi zone my phone does not use data but automatically switches to wi-fi.

Good, that is what it does on post paid. So you need to do nothing further. No need for airplane mode.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
when in my apartment i am on wi-fi and do not use data for anything. as soon as i walk off the property it switches to Claro data. when i return as soon as i hit the front entrance my phone chirp, chirp, chirp and i am back on wi-fi. no need to go into settings and do a manual on/off as it is all done automatically

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
when in my apartment i am on wi-fi and do not use data for anything. as soon as i walk off the property it switches to Claro data. when i return as soon as i hit the front entrance my phone chirp, chirp, chirp and i am back on wi-fi. no need to go into settings and do a manual on/off as it is all done automatically

So why talk about airplane mode. I assume you have post paid data plan? And if you do have it you can use your phone in the US and Latin America with free roaming. But you need to set it up.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
So why talk about airplane mode. I assume you have post paid data plan? And if you do have it you can use your phone in the US and Latin America with free roaming. But you need to set it up.

If you go back I was NOT the one who mentioned going into airplane mode..........

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
OK. Then you need to be careful with the auto switching. Make sure the switching works by checking the data pin when it should be off.

I know the switching works. I check how much data I use. The automatic switching works just fine in la rep dom and stateside.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You should look into the post paid plans. You can never run out of calls or data. The minutes and data roll over to the next month. And all calls to Claro lines are free all the time. Along with free roaming in the US and Latin America.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You should look into the post paid plans. You can never run out of calls or data. The minutes and data roll over to the next month. And all calls to Claro lines are free all the time.

Post paid plans are not for everyone. first off i doubt if i spend 10 minutes a month talking on the phone. As long as I have a Wi-Fi connection or data I am good to go. On prepaid I doubt if I am spending $20 USD a month.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for the replies regarding my problem of needing a factory reset and the SIM card not being available.

As some mentioned you don't need the SIM card associated with your WhatsApp in your phone, they just send you a normal text message to verify once, unfortunately I left that SIM in another country, so no access to try it in roaming mode etc.

I think this Desktop version may allow me to have access to my old account, while I start a new account on WhatsApp after a factory reset (or change number).

It is a bit annoying, but WhatsApp had a beta version (developer trial sort of thing) that you could change your number and it would automatically inform and transfer your chats on all your contacts to the new number, but that is no longer available now.

This is what they really need to roll out, as it is now, I can change my number on WhatsApp before factory reset, but then none of my contacts know about this until I message them - good if you want to get away from a feme fatal, but not practical as you may miss a message you really need ... (the Desktop version might help in that, not sure... !? Maybe after number change the Desktop also stops working... !?)

Anyway, I might just wait till I get to my SIM...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I doubt that the desktop app will work for you. You need your cell open and operating near it. No cell, the app won't work.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
From what I've read, all information sent/ received direct via no
3rd party on Whatsappppp is encrypted...
Makes it more difficult for those kfcus to keep tabs
on people's movements. Nice.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Added WhatsApp bonus. Flying on Southwest you can message for free, including voice, fotos, and videos.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
From what I've read, all information sent/ received direct via no
3rd party on Whatsappppp is encrypted...
Makes it more difficult for those kfcus to keep tabs
on people's movements. Nice.

That is only when you download the original Whatsapp, in android there are so many whatsapp versions, whatsapp gold, whatsapp blue, etc that has installed bugs from hackers that use mirrow hacking where they can see everything you write on whatsapp like pictures, banck accounts numbers, passwords, etc.

You must be sure that you are downloading the correct whatsapp version and select in security option tow step verification on.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
It would be interesting to know if the connected phone needs to be on the same network or if the phone can be located else where then where the computer is located.

It does not, the phone just needs to be online, even the telco data network is sufficient.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I've started using my Google Voice number for WhatsApp for just this reason. I can always get the SMS code and I can swap phones at will. A Skype or Magic Jack number will probably work just as well.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Magic Jack has an app for Android that works the same as your phone at home with MJ. Don't know about IOS though.