WhatsApp

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Or backup the phone completely and restore WhatsApp after the reset.

I looked into this option, restoring WhatsApp from a backup does not do it, that is just the historic chat data backed up, useful after activating and verifying WhatsApp first.... (you can backup WhatsApp to Google Drive too for this).

But there is a little file that is deep into Android system folders that tells WhatsApp if it is verified and with what number etc., the key file, need to root phone to get to it, and they say it does not always work to copy that after a factory reset....(I think they say they prevent this in newer versions).

As for having a cloud-based number, I do have a UK Skype number, but it acts as a normal landline number, it can not receive SMS (as landline numbers can not), so that does not help. Interestingly I can send SMS using Skype credit, but not receive one.

Not sure about Magic Jack or Google Voice, I guess they can receive SMS... !

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I looked into this option, restoring WhatsApp from a backup does not do it, that is just the historic chat data backed up, useful after activating and verifying WhatsApp first.... (you can backup WhatsApp to Google Drive too for this).

But there is a little file that is deep into Android system folders that tells WhatsApp if it is verified and with what number etc., the key file, need to root phone to get to it, and they say it does not always work to copy that after a factory reset....(I think they say they prevent this in newer versions).

As for having a cloud-based number, I do have a UK Skype number, but it acts as a normal landline number, it can not receive SMS (as landline numbers can not), so that does not help. Interestingly I can send SMS using Skype credit, but not receive one.

Not sure about Magic Jack or Google Voice, I guess they can receive SMS... !

Google Voice receives SMS. My Whatsapp is to my Google Voice number. I've changed phones twice since then and everything comes over once the number is confirmed. You can even confirm the number on a tablet or an Android emulator for Windows this way.

When I say "backup completely" you need to be rooted and use what's called a NANDROID backup, like Titanium Backup. That takes a full backup of the phone, and can restore applications fully, including their hidden files. I've used this method to xfer Whatsapp to other phones when I didn't have the SIM card, and I just had to upgrade the Whatsapp software via the Play store later.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Google Voice receives SMS. My Whatsapp is to my Google Voice number. I've changed phones twice since then and everything comes over once the number is confirmed. You can even confirm the number on a tablet or an Android emulator for Windows this way.

When I say "backup completely" you need to be rooted and use what's called a NANDROID backup, like Titanium Backup. That takes a full backup of the phone, and can restore applications fully, including their hidden files. I've used this method to xfer Whatsapp to other phones when I didn't have the SIM card, and I just had to upgrade the Whatsapp software via the Play store later.

Yes, a rooted phone with Titanium Backup might work, it's that key file which is important, although I have no experience with doing this and not sure if it still works in the new versions. I am going to wait a few more months and get to my SIM and then can sort it out.

WhatsApp has the change your number option, but this only works halfway, after number change if anyone sends me messages it will not be delivered, so it is my responsibility to let everyone know of my new number on WhatsApp.

I think they experimented with a beta version to do this automatically but it never went to production. It's a bit annoying really, I wish they could come up with a multiple number option (so you have a current and many historic numbers, all under a same WhatsApp account). If you have used something like Google Voice from day one, then you are okay...