When hustled by the police

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Mr. AE's brother - Dominican - was pulled over a couple of days ago by AMET. They said he ran a red light, which he says he didn't. They impounded his vehicle, and he had to go watch a 20 minute video about safety, then pay a 1600 peso fine, then go to Km 12 to pick up his truck. When he got there the guy asked for permission to search his vehicle. BIL asked if he had an order from the fiscal, guy said no, BIL said 'in that case, no'. Guy asked if he had a gun in there, BIL said no, guy said, 'okay, go'.
There was an article in the newspaper last week stating that lately AMET is abusively impounding vehicles, which by law is only allowed when an accident happened, or when you don't have the papers to show the car is yours. For running a red light they are not supposed to impound it. In cases like that it comes in handy to know someone in the amet organization you can call.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There was an article in the newspaper last week stating that lately AMET is abusively impounding vehicles, which by law is only allowed when an accident happened, or when you don't have the papers to show the car is yours. For running a red light they are not supposed to impound it. In cases like that it comes in handy to know someone in the amet organization you can call.

I guess they're getting tough. I'm sure all his paperwork was in order. This was in Santo Domingo, and let me tell you, this BIL knows all about propinas. He's the one we always ask to get things done [land titles, etc.] because he knows how to schmooze and palm the right hands. All the right 'connections', including two close cousins who are generals. I'm still trying to picture him sitting through the 20 minute video explaining to him why he shouldn't go through a red light. I can't help smiling, even though it's not funny.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mr. AE's brother - Dominican - was pulled over a couple of days ago by AMET. They said he ran a red light, which he says he didn't. They impounded his vehicle, and he had to go watch a 20 minute video about safety, then pay a 1600 peso fine, then go to Km 12 to pick up his truck. When he got there the guy asked for permission to search his vehicle. BIL asked if he had an order from the fiscal, guy said no, BIL said 'in that case, no'. Guy asked if he had a gun in there, BIL said no, guy said, 'okay, go'.

I know that red light deal.... yes, they wanted the car - I got off for 1000 pesos --

Somebody here said they can't take the car for a red light ------ I'm not so sure

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Btw I'm prepared when they want to stop me and I don't, and later they catch me, I'll say that I was scared that they were imposters. Might help or not but that would be my excuse.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
HOW ABOUT YOU PEOPLE JUST DON'T BREAK THE LAW!

try to do this bs in the states! i bet you you wouldn't do it there, so why do it here?

+ the amount of money you pay here is nothing compared to where you guys came from!

i know this is paradise, and to keep it that way you have to play your part as well!

Dude I get pulled over all the time and have only been pulled over once for doing a U-Turn which Amet told me was illegal but others say it is legal. Getting pulled over in the DR has nothing to do with breaking any laws most of the time!!

It sounds like you don't live in the DR and/or you certainly don't drive in the DR!

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I have a principle of never driving in a foreign country..i figure if i get in an accident with a local i am totally screwed. I take taxis all over the place and never once saw the police stop my taxi driver. I guess the police know they ain't getting any bribes from the taxistas.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
Dude I get pulled over all the time and have only been pulled over once for doing a U-Turn which Amet told me was illegal but others say it is legal. Getting pulled over in the DR has nothing to do with breaking any laws most of the time!!

It sounds like you don't live in the DR and/or you certainly don't drive in the DR!

my point exactly! who are others?

maybe that sign wasn't there but in a lot of cases you can't do an u-turn.

i don't live here, i've only been here since june. i don't drive neither.

a lot of locals i hang with do drive, and there were 5+ occasions we've been stopped for things we (the driver) did do wrong.

the highest bribe was 500 peso = 12 usd??

The point I think you are missing is that it is not safe sometimes to stop at roadblocks in the middle of no where or late an night with no one else around.

If i wanted to live in the US/Canada where there are strict laws etc. I would live there! Couldn't stand being back in Canada not being able to bribe people!

The others were people on Dr1 who have lived here for a while.

If you lived here a while and drove you would start to understand. Very easy to not live here and talk about this kinda stuff. It is a whole different world to ACTUALLY live in the DR!!

sweetP

Sep 3, 2013
If you feel strongly about your position and you did nothing wrong, what usually works for me is to say that you speak no Spanish, and ask for their supervisor to come to the scene. 100% of the time, they'll usually tell you to "GO"

uncle larry

Sep 3, 2013
I had two officers in Sosua question me as I stood on the sidewalk, texting my friend. I was walking from a bar where I just ate a meal and stopped to reply to a friend. I was listening to music in my earbuds and was in "my own world" not bothering anybody when two officers pulled up and started grilling me with questions...about what I was doing...where I was staying...why was I standing around... Once I explained to them that I was living in the town and volunteering, they left me alone, but they definitely made it uncomfortable and seemed to be up to no good.

Waber

Sep 2, 2013
Thanks for all of the responses, I love hearing everyone's opinions and experiences. That is what makes DR1 great.

I already feel a Little bit better about driving.

Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for all of the responses, I love hearing everyone's opinions and experiences. That is what makes DR1 great.

I already feel a Little bit better about driving.

Till a motoconcho runs straight into you :) just kidding. Be safe and drive defensively at all times.