When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
austriaco said:

Maybe because residency requieres to be in RD at least 180 days a year? 90% of the foreigners I know with properties are in RD maximum one month a year and none has a residency. None of them has the desire to come right now to RD anyway.

Reading here you cant enter RD even with residency - different to most other countries rules - is not motivating anyone to get one.
==================================================================================================
Austriaco....

That is dead flat wrong... you need to brush up

The Residency Rule is that you are not to be ABSENT for more than 6 months
As far as I know - not enforced\

If you want to overstay legally, drive legally and many more things
Last time I checked a year had 12 month 😊

Therefore based on mathematics can't be so wrong saying you have to be in country 6 month. About not enforced: yes but its still illegal. Overstay is less illegal compared to understay residency as there Is a procedure for overstay but not for understay.

as I said most owners I know are staying only a month and thats legal. Looking forcresidency would be illegal for them.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
as early as 5-6 days - up to 14......

I am in school
As early as 2 days average 4-5 with bad luck 15 days.

The 2 days are solid result of contact tracing and happen often. 14 days are very rare. For that uneven distribution the average of 2 and 14 is 4.5 days

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
GREECE
My friend is a Greek - a returning citizen - he tested negative going into Greece and was quarantined for 14 days

the only testing done was Greece

The EU/UK/USA countries are not being very diligent
Yes you are right about greece. Testing and 14 days. Does not make sense to do both but they do...

I confused Greece with Austria where its test or 14 days.

EU can only harmonise air travell rules but not individual country health entry rules. Thats how the law is made. Some stuff is national only.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
I have never heard of anyone one with DR residency being denied reentry to the country because they were out of the DR for an extended period of time. Even people that did not renew residency for many years just paid the fees and fines for not renewing on time to become current residents again.
Yes I know, but beeing DR results that could change tomorrow.
Same way the overstay enforcement could change of which many are scared.

Same story about the "you cant drive a car" if you overstay. Not enforced. Could get an insurance and a registration for my car without Residency. No one even asked...

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
International travel to the DR will without question massively blow up covid cases here. Hospitals are currently at 38% of capacity and daily case rates are peaking with no respite.

We are entering the most dangerous part of this pandemic. We are all tired of physical isolation.

The virus never tires.
Why would travell increase case numbers? Choose only tourists from countries with less cases then DR and you actually reduce the average cases per 100000.

This is crazy UK starting quarantena for incoming now as the UK has the highest numbers of Europe or the US not allowing anyone in with numbers higher then 90% of other countries. Both should be very thankfull to mix the numbers down with allowing people from healthier countries in. Its statistics. You mix with healthy tourists your average Of cases per capita goes down.

When opening and interested in health only open to countries with less or the same caseloads. Its simple. Dont open DR to US if you are interested in the health of the pueblo. If you interested only in money open to US...

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Very bad news for DR tourism:

Condor canceled all flights To DR till September. They are responsible for transporting a large part of continental European tourists to DR, main carrier for a lot of European countries without an alternative airline to use. On any given day you could see more then one condor plane in Punta Cana outnumbering for example jetblue. Effects of course also the still stuck tourists.

they gave up on DR

Mr Deal HD

Sep 11, 2019
Last time I checked a year had 12 month 😊

Therefore based on mathematics can't be so wrong saying you have to be in country 6 month. About not enforced: yes but its still illegal. Overstay is less illegal compared to understay residency as there Is a procedure for overstay but not for understay.

as I said most owners I know are staying only a month and thats legal. Looking forcresidency would be illegal for them.

Your comprehension is off or you’re trying to save face.

ABSENT - you can stay for one day, leave for 179 days and come back for another day. Leave again for another 179 days and come back for one day. Two to three days a year and you can still be considered legal for residency.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

Condor canceled all flights To DR till September.

they gave up on DR
Tell the forum exactly what this means. "They gave up", Do you know what the underlying reasons are? Financial? Regulatory?. Have chosen other route.? I know this board is opinion based, but this is a "statement" which needs clarification to be even considered. IMHO.

Reactions: Caonabo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes I know, but beeing DR results that could change tomorrow.
Same way the overstay enforcement could change of which many are scared.

Same story about the "you cant drive a car" if you overstay. Not enforced. Could get an insurance and a registration for my car without Residency. No one even asked...
very true....insured & reg'd

the trouble comes if/when you have an accident after the 60/90 day period of your visit
insurance won't pay
furthermore.... that's when it gets enforced... w/ an accident
the police declare you illegal.... and the trouble starts
Don't stay that long (as a visitor) and you have no problems

The point of all this is that residency eliminates virtually all of the problems....
overstaying visitors are walking a minefield - their choice & they're welcome to it

Reactions: austriaco

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

ABSENT - you can stay for one day, leave for 179 days and come back for another day. Leave again for another 179 days and come back for one day. Two to three days a year and you can still be considered legal for residency.
yes - that's how it works... precisely that way

Reactions: Mr Deal HD

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Tell the forum exactly what this means. "They gave up", Do you know what the underlying reasons are? Financial? Regulatory?. Have chosen other route.? I know this board is opinion based, but this is a "statement" which needs clarification to be even considered. IMHO.
Untill two days ago they had a reasonable flight plan with 35% capacity and a reasonable additional covit-service charge for the ticket. Starting july. I got a reservation for july 17 so I know.

This was obviously a serious and thoughtfull plan with realistic prices and capacity from july onwards. they had before june the same bull-shit phantom flights like other airlines to get customers money.

something happened as they dumped all flights till September. I know more pepole with ticket who all got canceled.

My guess is they did not get confirmation from DR they can fly and got confirmation from other countries and that where those airplanes will fly to. Pure speculation. Could be they got a hint from the german government they will not allow tourist to/from DR. It has to be something serious because that was radical move. Not a single flight the next 2 ½ month.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020

That cant be real??
I was resident in another country before, its 180 days within 365 in about any other country. The word resident indicates its not someone staying 2 days a year....isnt it...

But then again its DR so I believe you, just another one of the incomprensible rules of DR...I would not in my wildest dreams read 6 month absence as per stay but of course as per year....and I did have the residency solicitud papers in my hand before including explanations- obviously did not understand the way DR interprets them...

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
July and August are school vaccations in Europe and thats the complete DR-summer tourist saison for half of Europe they canceled. If its financial they will not fly September as thats dead season. Maybe its till November.

Likely regulatory reasons, as they could have just one flight per week if its a demand problem. They did other destinations one time a week before, can be done if wanted.

Dumping the summer season which is the European high season is really giving up. Thats why I used those words.
I can find my way arround like via Spain but Otto from Germany does not do that.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That cant be real??
I was resident in another country before, its 180 days within 365 in about any other country. The word resident indicates its not someone staying 2 days a year....isnt it...

But then again its DR so I believe you, just another one of the incomprensible rules of DR...I would not in my wildest dreams read 6 month absence as per stay but of course as per year....and I did have the residency solicitud papers in my hand before including explanations- obviously did not understand the way DR interprets them...

I have said before that this factored in to my choosing the DR as a residence

1/ ease of residency (2008)
2/ no minimum stay requirement
plus all sorts of things like accessibility , affordablility...climate

I don't regret it

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
One Canadian airline, Air Transat, is not flying here until November. I expect others to push back their dates.

Feb 7, 2007

Condor canceled all flights To DR till September. They are responsible for transporting a large part of continental European tourists to DR, main carrier for a lot of European countries without an alternative airline to use. On any given day you could see more then one condor plane in Punta Cana outnumbering for example jetblue. Effects of course also the still stuck tourists.

they gave up on DR

They are playing it safe. As they can cancel, they can reinstate.

Reactions: johne

habi

Oct 17, 2015

they gave up on DR

BTW Condor is also not flying to Cancun or Havana before September... So it looks like it has nothing to do with "they gave up on DR"...

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I think there are no flights to DR from UK till November- It does seem confusing what will be needed to get into DR first they were saying you need an affidavit of good health in order to enter a resort now it seems its an app or possibly both they really need to get there act together because people are not gonna book if it is unclear what you need to enter a resort. The hotels association say we will need to wear masks in the lobby, restaurants and public spaces in the resorts. Dominican Republic have been very unclear on the reopening strategy and you also keep extending the state of emergency that does't give the tourist confidence to book.

Status
Not open for further replies.