When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The recent past was just to PUJ
POP & SDQ have none that I know of
BA Punta Cana - Gatwick is what I am waiting for. So easy. The Bavaro Express from SD directly to the airport in PC mid day. Next morning in Gatwick. Picked up by family at airport and visit my mum in Kent where she goes often. Maybe from there I then travel on to Denmark. Both Punta Cana and Gatwick airport are very easy. It works like a charm. I am not traveling via the US again if I can avoid it.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
What it has to do with Cuba? The same like all the country's which are tourist destination and are strugeling to find out how it will be posible to open for travel again!
Condor moving the flights to September (yes also Cuba, even acording to you they would open 1. of August) is in my opinion not "giving up on the DR"...
The bigger question anyway would be if Condor still is existing in September after LOT did cancel the takeover....
Just my 2 Pesos... ;);)

CONDOR

According to company boss Ralf Teckentrup (62), the holiday plane Condor will cut up to 25 percent of its jobs due to the corona crisis. That would be up to 1000 jobs, said Teckentrup of the "Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung". The airline will reduce its fleet by up to a quarter.

The Condor boss also expressed the assessment that the crisis in the aviation industry caused by the corona pandemic would continue until 2024. Condor is kept alive by the state with around half a billion euros in financial aid.

The manager doesn't see a new buyer for Condor that quickly. "In the current crisis nobody thinks about takeovers. I therefore think that we will start a new sales process at the end of next year at the earliest and be able to present a buyer at the earliest in 2022."

The Polish Lot, which jumped off a few weeks ago, would even "give Teckentrup a second chance". The manager would welcome a takeover by Lufthansa, but it would be less likely in his assessment given the veto by the cartel office.

Condor will resume flight operations during the summer holidays, Tecktrup announced. It will fly from eight German airports to 29 destinations in Europe on the Mediterranean, especially Greece, the Balearic Islands, the Canary Islands and Antalya. "This is about 30 percent of our originally planned flight offer," said Teckentrup.

Reactions: habi

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Any word on when UK to DR flights might actually start up?

Lobo Tropical

Yesterday at 11:07 AM
scot_tosh said:
I think there are no flights to DR from UK till November- It does seem confusing what will be needed to get into DR first they were saying you need an affidavit of good health in order to enter a resort now it seems its an app or possibly both they really need to get there act together because people are not gonna book if it is unclear what you need to enter a resort. The hotels association say we will need to wear masks in the lobby, restaurants and public spaces in the resorts. Dominican Republic have been very unclear on the reopening strategy and you also keep extending the state of emergency that does't give the tourist confidence to book.
BA
'Deep crisis'
The airline said in a statement: "We find ourselves in the deepest crisis ever faced by the airline industry - a crisis not of our making but one which we must address.
BA is already embroiled in a bitter fight with its unions and a row with the government. Now MPs have weighed in against the company as well.
The MPs' report also urged the government to abandon its 14-day quarantine rule at the end of June.

They said they have seen no evidence of when proposed "air bridges" between the UK and other countries will be implemented. Instead, they want the government to re-adopt the policy it introduced on 10 March, which required passengers from countries deemed at high risk of coronavirus infection to self-isolate on arrival in the UK.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
It does not look good regarding flights and tourism from Europe.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My sense from watching for past few years ( my UK daughter) is that the no coast has been getting many. many less Euro flights -
UK included

PUJ is stil strong but the POP demand seems to be weak

My trips to England are Westjet - POP - YYZ - Gatwick...
seamless going over.... 2 hr connection in Toronto..... right next to a sushi bar

Sep 22, 2009
My sense from watching for past few years ( my UK daughter) is that the no coast has been getting many. many less Euro flights -
UK included

PUJ is stil strong but the POP demand seems to be weak

My trips to England are Westjet - POP - YYZ - Gatwick...
seamless going over.... 2 hr connection in Toronto..... right next to a sushi bar
I have to agree with @Africaida here. How many useless pages of speculation of flights in and out of DR do we need? Hey, I'm bored too, but start a new thread for Pete's sake! OMG

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
BA Punta Cana - Gatwick is what I am waiting for. So easy. The Bavaro Express from SD directly to the airport in PC mid day. Next morning in Gatwick. Picked up by family at airport and visit my mum in Kent where she goes often. Maybe from there I then travel on to Denmark. Both Punta Cana and Gatwick airport are very easy. It works like a charm. I am not traveling via the US again if I can avoid it.

John, at this stage it is reasonably certain that the first Punta Cana to Gatwick flight will be on Monday 20th July, and after then they will run on Tuesdays and Sundays. The first Gatwick to Punta Cana will leave on July 19th and will bring a spare crew, which will overnight and take the plane back on the 20th. This has been confirmed to me on another forum by BA staff. BA is relying on the UK government relaxing the quarantine for arriving passengers by the end of July - which seems likely - as those travelling out on the 19th will not return in most cases for at least 1 week and probably 2. Obviously if the Dominican government is not allowing tourists to come in, or if the UK government insists on the quarantine for arriving passengers, this will change.

Reactions: aarhus

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Damn, BA has just cancelled the flight on 19th July / 20th July, so it looks like they're not coming back anytime soon. I'm trying to find out more and will post updates when I do.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Damn, BA has just cancelled the flight on 19th July / 20th July, so it looks like they're not coming back anytime soon. I'm trying to find out more and will post updates when I do.
That was a shame. It must be the uncertainty on both ends. Maybe September or October they will get going.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

So much for the other forum's contributions by BA staff.
Perhaps waiting for the RD government would be the sane method of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.