When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
We just had one of our worst clients ever thanks to Airbnb. Cafe Santo Domingo, light on the sugar and creamer this morning.

Will the president speak on a reopening plan this week?

Reopening as far as businesses, or international travel?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What the DR goverment does is not as important as to what each individual travellers countries stipulations/rules are once they return from visiting the DR....and thanks to the " Pilgram incident " ( which is probably known in many countires ) travelling to the DR and then returning back to their country of origin will be at least a 14 day home quarantine minimum for the forseeable future....way to shoot yourself in the foot Roquelito though par for the course

I don't have a lot of faith in the decision making abilities of politicians and people alike. I've read of tourists who boarded their charter flight to Mexico, flew straight in to the path of an approaching hurricane and then complained loudly that their tour company and airline were not coming to get them before the storm hit 5 days later. Similarly oblivious tourists drop themselves into all sorts of situations they should know to avoid - civil unrest protests, anything to do with a cruise ships and of course rampant crime. Most do not research their destination beyond what the travel brochure mentions.

I suspect 99% of would be tourists have no idea who the pilgrim is or what he and his followers did recently. Just as I am am sure foreigners who haven't figured out the disparity in the the reported case numbers in their own country have absolutely no conception of how skewed the reported mortality rate is in this country based on more than 7000 govt confirmed cases. If it is made possible to do so, some neuron impaired globetrotters will come and some of those will bring more infection with them. When it is time to go home they will be surprised at the need to quarantine themselves when they get off the plane or be absolutely besides themselves when borders are closed again because of runaway infection rates and will begin demanding all over again that their govt come get them.

Slowly and in a very controlled way open the economy for locals in small steps with at least 1 month having elapsed since the last step. Test, test and do more testing. Ideally every single person on the streets in the DR should bump into a swab or test kit once every 7 days. We know that's not going to happen and we know people aren't going to stay home. Once the hardware stores are permitted to open (as an example it could just as easily be auto part stores) , every other business will present a crack in their door to allow ingress to those needing haircuts, hair extensions, manicures and all manner of generic nonessential goods and services.

The numbers of infected will go exponential again in countries that fail to identify and contain newly infected patients and we'll be right back to square one. Scientists have told the politicians not to open yet, it's too early and very few countries yet have the ability to test people in the numbers that will be required to keep a lid on this virus. Just watch those places that have opened their beaches and parks already. Just watch the UK meltdown intensify. Politicians caved to public pressure to contain the spread of the virus initially and save their health system. Now the same politicians feel compelled to cave to the business interests who are demanding their own concessions.

Without treatment and prevention and sufficient testing, "we" will be caught in a cyclical roller coaster ride wondering if there is the political will to shut things down again when CV19 inevitably takes off. Will they or will they just say fug-it it's too hard to satisfy both sides of the equation and let nature sort it out?

The icing on this poison cake would be allowing travelers to cross international borders again. Not because these travelers need to, but because they want to and are completely oblivious to the part they will be playing in making a bad situation worse.

Governments can either listen to the science or they can listen to business, nary will the two ever sync up. As for the people, they should probably be told to shut up, do as they are told for the betterment of themselves and society and if they feel so inclined they can effect change next election time - which in the case of the DR is just another likely disaster that will befall us two weeks after the national elections in November. More infections and probably a change in leadership and significant shakeup within the civil service that will end any pretense of continuity of effort on the disease front.

We'll just have to wait an see who does what and when. When it comes to allowing foreigners to travel here again for that essential tan, discounted liquor and buffet food. If we make that easily available, many will come and the economic and social costs could be much higher than if we just waited until there is an established treatment option that stops this virus cold in the body.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I don't have a lot of faith in the decision making abilities of politicians and people alike. I've read of tourists who boarded their charter flight to Mexico, flew straight in to the path of an approaching hurricane and then complained loudly that their tour company and airline were not coming to get them before the storm hit 5 days later. Similarly oblivious tourists drop themselves into all sorts of situations they should know to avoid - civil unrest protests, anything to do with a cruise ships and of course rampant crime. Most do not research their destination beyond what the travel brochure mentions.

I suspect 99% of would be tourists have no idea who the pilgrim is or what he and his followers did recently. Just as I am am sure foreigners who haven't figured out the disparity in the the reported case numbers in their own country have absolutely no conception of how skewed the reported mortality rate is in this country based on more than 7000 govt confirmed cases. If it is made possible to do so, some neuron impaired globetrotters will come and some of those will bring more infection with them. When it is time to go home they will be surprised at the need to quarantine themselves when they get off the plane or be absolutely besides themselves when borders are closed again because of runaway infection rates and will begin demanding all over again that their govt come get them.

Slowly and in a very controlled way open the economy for locals in small steps with at least 1 month having elapsed since the last step. Test, test and do more testing. Ideally every single person on the streets in the DR should bump into a swab or test kit once every 7 days. We know that's not going to happen and we know people aren't going to stay home. Once the hardware stores are permitted to open (as an example it could just as easily be auto part stores) , every other business will present a crack in their door to allow ingress to those needing haircuts, hair extensions, manicures and all manner of generic nonessential goods and services.

The numbers of infected will go exponential again in countries that fail to identify and contain newly infected patients and we'll be right back to square one. Scientists have told the politicians not to open yet, it's too early and very few countries yet have the ability to test people in the numbers that will be required to keep a lid on this virus. Just watch those places that have opened their beaches and parks already. Just watch the UK meltdown intensify. Politicians caved to public pressure to contain the spread of the virus initially and save their health system. Now the same politicians feel compelled to cave to the business interests who are demanding their own concessions.

Without treatment and prevention and sufficient testing, "we" will be caught in a cyclical roller coaster ride wondering if there is the political will to shut things down again when CV19 inevitably takes off. Will they or will they just say fug-it it's too hard to satisfy both sides of the equation and let nature sort it out?

The icing on this poison cake would be allowing travelers to cross international borders again. Not because these travelers need to, but because they want to and are completely oblivious to the part they will be playing in making a bad situation worse.

Governments can either listen to the science or they can listen to business, nary will the two ever sync up. As for the people, they should probably be told to shut up, do as they are told for the betterment of themselves and society and if they feel so inclined they can effect change next election time - which in the case of the DR is just another likely disaster that will befall us two weeks after the national elections in November. More infections and probably a change in leadership and significant shakeup within the civil service that will end any pretense of continuity of effort on the disease front.

We'll just have to wait an see who does what and when. When it comes to allowing foreigners to travel here again for that essential tan, discounted liquor and buffet food. If we make that easily available, many will come and the economic and social costs could be much higher than if we just waited until there is an established treatment option that stops this virus cold in the body.

Residing here within RD how many times have you been tested within the last three months? I have been twice, with two negative results.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Repatriation to Canada.
Who would pay CAD $800/USD $567.84/DOP 31799 for a one way flight to Canada of all places?
Oh, the cost of repatriation. What a boondoggle.
What is wrong with Canada...eh?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Warren Buffett doesn't think air travel is opening up in a significant way anytime soon. He reportedly just dumped much of his airline stocks.

Reactions: miketallman

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
[QUOTE="Cdn_Gringo, post: 5523230, member: 67875"

I suspect 99% of would be tourists have no idea who the pilgrim is or what he and his followers did recently. Just as I am am sure foreigners who haven't figured out the disparity in the the reported case numbers in their own country have absolutely no conception of how skewed the reported mortality rate is in this country based on more than 7000 govt confirmed cases. If it is made possible to do so, some neuron impaired globetrotters will come and some of those will bring more infection with them. When it is time to go home they will be surprised at the need to quarantine themselves when they get off the plane or be absolutely besides themselves when borders are closed again because of runaway infection rates and will begin demanding all over again that their govt come get
[/QUOTE]

If quarantine rules apply for all people who travel internationally most people will be aware......and airlines will probably not travel to destinations that have a higher risk for contracting the virus and for sure they know about the pilgram as it took place right in Puerto Plata which is a large tourist draw....if you look now at some airlines planned dates for opening international routes ( caribbean routes especially the DR is nowhere to be found ).....and even when routes to the DR do open and these quarantine rules apply to travellers upon returning home, after the first couple of weeks when the intial travellers return home and they are stuck back in there homes for 2 weeks word will get out quick ( not to mention that their employers will be a bit pissed no ? ) .....its time for the DR to diversify their portfolio because tourisim ain't gonna be the cash cow it once was until a vaccine is found

Jan 9, 2004
Warren Buffett doesn't think air travel is opening up in a significant way anytime soon. He reportedly just dumped much of his airline stocks.

On the marathon 4.5 hour annual shareholders meeting video call yesterday,, he indicated he sold ALL his airline positions (Delta, United, American, Southwest) and took a huge loss. Normally Buffett is a very long term holder of equities, so this is certainly contrary to his investing philosophy. That paints a pretty grim picture for the airlines.............and by extension..........travel to the DR.

At least 1 of the airlines that fly to the DR is rumored to be considering bankruptcy.

The country may open in the coming months...........but the economic recovery is going to take a long time.

One of the larger hotel chains in Bavaro, with multiple hotels, continues to tell staff that they do not expect to partially open until November.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

althebeast

Mar 26, 2020
La Romana
Well I said it before that my friend was coming from Miami but canceled his flight. He's coming today to Santo Domingo from Miami but he'll be flying for like 25 hours.

Feb 7, 2007

One month between the economy opening steps? Don't get offended, but are you nuts? Some of us actually derive income here and do not live off retirement check sent every 1st of the month. I prefer to take my chances with coronavirus and fully opened economy than with a lockdown. And after all, after reading Stanford, USC LA, New York, and Imperial College studies, plus seering reusuls of approach in Sweden, I am fully convinced the infection is much more widespread and much more milder in it's presentation, and there is really no need for lockdown as is.

Sep 22, 2009
One month between the economy opening steps? Don't get offended, but are you nuts? Some of us actually derive income here and do not live off retirement check sent every 1st of the month. I prefer to take my chances with coronavirus and fully opened economy than with a lockdown. And after all, after reading Stanford, USC LA, New York, and Imperial College studies, plus seering reusuls of approach in Sweden, I am fully convinced the infection is much more widespread and much more milder in it's presentation, and there is really no need for lockdown as is.
Cdn writes to read his own posts so no big deal. He does, however, generate a ton of paper so please don't quote the entire thing!

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
My May 11-14 trip on American Airlines PUJ-MIA was just cancelled. Not a big surprise. What was the surprise is that same flight on June 22 is $3500 dollars or 65K points one way. That tells me those flights will be flying, if you have the money. Those prices aren't going to help get tourists back.

Reactions: Clandestino
Feb 7, 2007
My May 11-14 trip on American Airlines PUJ-MIA was just cancelled. Not a big surprise. What was the surprise is that same flight on June 22 is $3500 dollars or 65K points one way. That tells me those flights will be flying, if you have the money. Those prices aren't going to help get tourists back.

It's possibly a money grab from desperate travelers. 3.5k and then cancel the flight and issue travel voucher. I don't think we will see international flights here earlier than mid July .

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I think the world will be opening up earlier than most people expect for 2 reasons. First, there will be treatments that will lower the mortality rate. As well, the mortality rate is way less that the WHO estimate of 3.4%. Sweden is in the neighbourhood of .1%.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

I could not agree more. I am on a series of retirement checks so it's a mere inconvenience for me. But I have seen first hand how Dominicanos and Haitianos are struggling to put food on the table. This has gone on too long. I wonder if Danilio is hungry?

Status
Not open for further replies.