When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Jetblue is selling tickets after April 3rd. WW

Not sure about Americans, but I don't know any Dominicans-Americans whose trying to DR anytime soon.

There are lots of Dominicans in NYC trying to get home to the island. The question is will they be able to, not if they want to.

To give you an example, there are currently 4 daily direct flights from JFK to STI scheduled from April 4th onwards. On April 4th and 5th, most are already sold out. I have been tracking them.

Jet Blue has cargo demand and passenger demand for that route. SDQ has similar demands. The only question is will the flights be allowed.

Do not confuse a JFK - Florida , or a JFK to POP route with a JFK - STI or SDQ route . Two very different dynamics at play.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I just cancelled my trip on Frontier from PC. Getting thru was a bit difficult as was the on hold part. But after that, it took < 5 min to cancel and get a credit on my MasterCard. I thought it was gonna be bad but it was not.

Our daughter was supposed to fly down April 9th with her sons on Frontier. One phone call and a $1900 credit appeared on my card. Our flights home were on United on April 25. (Cancelled, and we flew home with Jet Blue. )They owe us about $800. Called and they said it has to be done online. Went online and it says they can’t process the cancellation, to try later or CALL them. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I hope that an effective treatment that curtails this disease in the body can be found much quicker than the time needed for a vaccine to be produced, tested and distributed.

Governments have the option to open up their economy by releasing people from their homes and letting the chips fall where they may. I don't think any Govt could withstand the criticism of allowing foreigners into the country after making the decision to allow the disease to run wild for economic reasons. Citizens and Residents infecting one another is one thing, being seen to allow foreigners to infect locals is something quite different within the scope of political optics.

And isn't that how it all started? DAH!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Our daughter was supposed to fly down April 9th with her sons on Frontier. One phone call and a $1900 credit appeared on my card. Our flights home were on United on April 25. (Cancelled, and we flew home with Jet Blue. )They owe us about $800. Called and they said it has to be done online. Went online and it says they can’t process the cancellation, to try later or CALL them. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Keep us posted on your success. I see a lot of websites having issues right now. I am thinking some business must be on skeleton staff and the databases for things like refunds can't be done remotely online from employee's homes. Likely they need to be on the office servers.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
August-September

Hoping to return to the DR the latter part of June. Maybe that's a bit too optimistic. Trivago is listing accommodation availability for that period. Prices are lower, some by 50%. I usually come down on Westjet and that may not be possible. They just furloughed 600 pilots. Other Canadian airlines are laying off in massive numbers and reducing domestic as well as International flights. After the virus storm has abated, it's going to take them a while to ramp up their operations, getting aircraft back up and running, pilot re-certification, etc. If I can't, I can plan for early July.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Just because you can buy a ticket from airline right now ,means nothing print it use it as toilet paper..
Exactly. I booked "available" flights on Jetblue three days in a row,all three were canceled the following day. Still waiting for my refunds to all three flights,they owe me over $2500.usd. Just because they show flights available on their website does not mean a gosh darned thing.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
There are lots of Dominicans in NYC trying to get home to the island. The question is will they be able to, not if they want to.

To give you an example, there are currently 4 daily direct flights from JFK to STI scheduled from April 4th onwards. On April 4th and 5th, most are already sold out. I have been tracking them.

Jet Blue has cargo demand and passenger demand for that route. SDQ has similar demands. The only question is will the flights be allowed.

Do not confuse a JFK - Florida , or a JFK to POP route with a JFK - STI or SDQ route . Two very different dynamics at play.

I stand corrected. It was an informal survey based on Dominicans I know/speak here in NYC.

I have been looking at JFK-SDQ as there are my airports of choice 98% of the times. JFK to SDQ are both available on Delta and JB for a ridiculous price (less than $300 RT). Seems like United cancel all their flights out of EWR. I am not sure about the demand, but algorithm are set up such a way that prices go up with demand, so with these prices I assumed it was non existent.

Cargo never stopped if I understand correctly.

Remains to be seen if passenger flights will open soon, but I have a feeling it will be extended.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I believe it's one year now

I will now look into this. I cancelled a flight of Tuesday last, and was advised of a six month credit. The one year adds a bit of flexibility, but I most likely will use it sooner. Thank you for the information.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I'd scratch out April and plan for June. At the earliest.

Sent from the Federation Intergalactic space vessel: DromOlax 3B55-90R

I do not see the Federation Intergalactic space vessel landing within RD any time soon. Do not worry, we will take care of everything down here while you are gone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Jetblue is selling tickets after April 3rd. WW

Not sure about Americans, but I don't know any Dominicans-Americans whose trying to to DR anytime soon.

Yes, My friend has bought them trying to get out

So far just 3 of them cancelled.... dont't buy one 'Frica
His brother is the JB pilot

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exactly. I booked "available" flights on Jetblue three days in a row,all three were canceled the following day. Still waiting for my refunds to all three flights,they owe me over $2500.usd. Just because they show flights available on their website does not mean a gosh darned thing.

See my response to "Frica above..... same game

The internet isn't a good source of booking info these days....IMO

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Air Canada gave us back a refund to our credit card less a $75.00 change fee.
KLM gave my wife back a credit voucher good for 2 years on a cancelled trip from Canada to England.
So long as any airline will give either a voucher or a credit, I'm pretty happy with it.

We also have 2 cruises booked and I have no idea what will happen with them. Fortunately we only put down a deposit but with the way the markets have gone I would like to get it back.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Agreed.

I fully expect another 15-day extension from April 3.

I hope the poohbahs allow freight forwarders to bring in goods.

I know that a factory in San Pedro is making masks for the USA and I imagine they're flying them out so you'd hope the flights would also bring good in.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The long and the short of this "guessing game" is we all want to resume a normal life. We hope, we guess, we want but in the end it's only that.Hope. It's time to use all our smarts, logic and deep thinking as to how to play these cards we were dealt. We all see the political game. The economic game. We have been there and done that. Stay sharp and be aware that there are forces beyond are control (want, hope. normal). When you look at the bill that was signed (by both parties lol) it's clear to me WE, believe it or not, have little control over the big picture...our lives , unless we do it ourselves.
Use every bit of insight you can during this crisis to understand...does this make sense? Does this sound right?

These are my thoughts and they are being strengthen by
a beautiful rum from the Virgin Islands I bought this afternoon.

Stay focused and stay sharp. Don't buy tickets for example if you know the damn plane isn't going anywhere and now you need to be stressed to get your money back.
Oh, this rum is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.