When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
There are MANY stories on the web about United is pulling this scam of not giving refunds.. Can you say BANKRUPT??

American Airlines on the other hand has flights starting May 4,, and I had no problems getting a FULL REFUND on my non-refundable web only special and re-booking it for zero cost out of PUJ.

Tug7777

Mar 17, 2018
New york The epicenter !

Reopening their borders for tourism will not help a thing. The tourism sector will be damaged for years so risking more infections for tourism would be asinine. The Dominican Republic will have to borrow money to stay afloat. Deep down they know this already. Everyday the infections are increasing by 100. Soon people will be dying by the 100s. They cannot get people to adhere to the curfew. For example:

https://www.facebook.com/641839068/posts/10157456997854069/?funlid=FJalMYxLYg5dppJv&d=w&vh=i

The Dominican Republic will be the Caribbean epicenter for covid-19. Even if the country were to open it's hard to imagine travelers leaving their corona hotbeds to travel to another. The scare of infection/reinfection will be too much. If I were a betting man I'd say the country will probably reopen by the summer.

Think New york is the hot spot,, Even if the DR were to open back up,,, your not going to have many tourist coming down unless you can lock down in your own house in the DR,,Its going to get worse before it gets better in the States,,Even if the virus curve flattens or goes down,,,could be may or June if were Lucky !

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Think New york is the hot spot,, Even if the DR were to open back up,,, your not going to have many tourist coming down unless you can lock down in your own house in the DR,,Its going to get worse before it gets better in the States,,Even if the virus curve flattens or goes down,,,could be may or June if were Lucky !

Youll see in a few weeks that the DR will be the newest hotspot. All of those incoming planes came from all of the current hotspots, Europe and NYC. I'm not trying to scare anyone but the truth is the truth. NYC has light years better medical facilities, the worlds greatest federal government, and they just imported a huge naval medical ship. Whats the DR going to do?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
This is only the tip of the iceberg, bad times are coming and we didnt see the worse yet, not a lot ppl will be able to travel inmediatly, without a vaccine or eliminating the virus always will be the risk of new infections, so better seat and hope all come back to normal at the end of the year.

The restrictions for flights do not include Cargo so airports like SDQ that receive a lot cargo keep receiving that kind of flights

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
A couple of popular US Caribbean booking sites are listing June departure dates, early June. Nothing for April/May.
Super wishful thinking but the idiots will come damn the torpedoes. Nobody cares about infecting anyone and putting others at risk when it comes to fun n the sun!

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Super wishful thinking but the idiots will come damn the torpedoes. Nobody cares about infecting anyone and putting others at risk when it comes to fun n the sun!

Just the opposite. People overwhelmingly do not want to infect other people. Most people do care.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
There are MANY stories on the web about United is pulling this scam of not giving refunds.. Can you say BANKRUPT??

American Airlines on the other hand has flights starting May 4,, and I had no problems getting a FULL REFUND on my non-refundable web only special and re-booking it for zero cost out of PUJ.

I was in Miami when it suddenly unfolded with lockdown in Italy and other places. I was going to stay there until the 3rd of April but started to consider going back to the DR before. The day after Danilos speech, announcing closing borders, I went to the airport and had seen online there where three flights at 80 usd so thought it would be easy. And not really many people at counter. First I was told I could not get on a flight before Thursday 19 so first I booked that. Had a coffee and went again to counter to ask about some thing and suddenly there was room on the second flight of the same day. American Airlines did not charge me for changing my 3rd of April original booking. Flight on 18 of march was full. I don’t know if the 19 of march flight which I was given first left at all as it would have been after Danilo said borders would close. It went smoothly apart from that both at Miami airport and SDQ. I arrived just for the lockdown.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Laid off Canadian workers want full cash refunds from the airlines not credit for later bookings. They have to buy food, pay rent, etc. The Canadian government is mulling over pressuring the airlines to comply wth the public’s demands.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Received my third cancellation on Jet blue. Put me off for more than a week! I went on line again and saw flight going out on Wednesday .I called and agent got a bit testy with me. I can imagine listening to ppl like me all day, After he gave his spiel about "I gave you a chance to talk so now...bla bra". He said when that flight probably came into the system after you were scheduled for April 5. I'll change it and give you full credit (I booked the Wednesday flight) to only charge you for your original flight. OK. He sent confirmations on all he said. Lets see what happens now.

This business of flying is going to get nasty.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

How do you know this?

Jan 9, 2004
Realistically speaking, the experts, at this time, do not expect the coronavirus to start to subside in the US until late April early May. It would seem then, that anyone booking or attempting to travel outside the US earlier than mid-May is wasting their time.

And since the spread/peak of the virus in the DR looks to be behind that in the US.............travel to the DR in what looks to be a best case scenario is not likely to resume until at least sometime after June. At this point, July 1st +/- looks to be the earliest one could expect travel restrictions to be lifted.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Let's just hope those with elderly parents or some seperated from children, like college students will have flights to reunite soon.

No man is an island but Hispaniola is

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Sounds likely given New York's current
situation would be foolish to allow large
groups of people flying in from there anytime
soon.
Would that include ALL people flying through JFK which is an International airport in NYC??

Status
Not open for further replies.