When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
Our American Airlines flight May 7 POP-MIA-DCA stopped appearing to be sold a few days ago. We called them and the guy took like 10 mins to look up info on the flight and said it was "zeroed out" and "will defiantly be canceled." So they basically canceled our flight without telling us. Guy told us to wait till it is officially canceled (up to the day before) or else we can't get a refund. Beyond unethical. We wouldn't have even known if I had not kept checking their official site and then called them.

Just booked another flight home. Delta SDQ-JFK on May 3rd. Gonna get a taxi from Puerto Plata all the way to Santo Domingo airport that morning. Going to leave around 6am, so hopefully that leaves enough time for our flight scheduled for 1:50pm. Has anyone been to Santo Domingo airport lately? Does it have long lines, complications due to covid19, etc?
Hi Nickdr, We are also scheduled on American Airlines on May 7, POP to MIA to Chicago. Our original flight was for April 30th, and like you, we received no notification whatsoever that it was cancelled. It was only when I checked our reservation online that I noticed that the POP to MIA segment just magically disappeared. I then called and was rescheduled for May 7th. I asked the customer service rep if it is standard practice to just cancel the flight without notifying us and she really had no answer. I then asked her what about a refund and she said, "oh, you have to call us for that". I have friends that are flying on American out of POP on May 8th. They called American today and were told that their flight is a go. hmmmmmmm

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
well I have a similar flight out of Santiago May 11 to Mia on AA. The flights are not showing now and I called and the agent said "they are not selling tickets anymore till June 4, but the flight still shows active (not formally cancelled yet) but more than likely will be cancelled. But, if anyone knows more than me ((which is easy ;-) please post it here. I see there is a flight to San Juan on May 12 on jet blue from SDQ then I could connect to mia, but if thats a normal flight it will probably be cancelled too (but its still showing). anyone have better ideas???

singletravel

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Well, booked another flight (our 4th attempt); this one from PUJ-JFK May 2nd JetBlue. Will get a taxi from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana the day before and spend the night in Punta Cana (if this flight does not get canceled). Any recommendations for a hotel near the airport in Punta Cana?

Four Points by Sheraton hotel. Is near the airport. Modern and well run. Free shuttle to airport takes about ten minutes. You might call them to make sure they are open.

Reactions: aarhus

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I am on the United official site right now. Non stop EWR to SDQ (return) is $641.05.
Jet Blue is a far better price at $374 (non stop).

I do not see anything out of the ordinary with these prices.
My man you must be on the only jet blue flight today ...must be good stuff you are smoking..

nickdr

May 30, 2014
Hi Nickdr, We are also scheduled on American Airlines on May 7, POP to MIA to Chicago. Our original flight was for April 30th, and like you, we received no notification whatsoever that it was cancelled. It was only when I checked our reservation online that I noticed that the POP to MIA segment just magically disappeared. I then called and was rescheduled for May 7th. I asked the customer service rep if it is standard practice to just cancel the flight without notifying us and she really had no answer. I then asked her what about a refund and she said, "oh, you have to call us for that". I have friends that are flying on American out of POP on May 8th. They called American today and were told that their flight is a go. hmmmmmmm

Wow. What a crappy mess of an airline. When we called about May 7th, first the guy said "yes it is good to go." Then he said "let me just check on a few things", then 10 mins later "the flight is zeroed out." Then five minutes later "the flight has not been canceled yet but the Dominican government won't allow flights in that airport so it will probably be canceled." Unbelievable. You may want to call; and have your friend call about May 8th, and pry more; eg. ask why the flight is not available online anymore etc. (both flights are not listed on their website). Good luck.

Reactions: JimmyGibbon

nickdr

May 30, 2014
Four Points by Sheraton hotel. Is near the airport. Modern and well run. Free shuttle to airport takes about ten minutes. You might call them to make sure they are open.

Thanks. Unfortunately that one is unavailable. We found another one called "Hotel Plaza Coral"; it has rooms available on booking.com. A friend of ours told us that Punta Cana closed all hotels down. I can't find confirmation of this. Anyone know if it is true? There are still lots of properties listed on booking.com.

nickdr

May 30, 2014
United, AA, and Delta have all canceled our flights now. JetBlue seems to have a better reputation from what I have heard. Has anyone been able to fly home in the last month via JetBlue? Anyone had their JetBlue flight canceled? Ours is May 2 Punta Cana to JFK.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
United, AA, and Delta have all canceled our flights now. JetBlue seems to have a better reputation from what I have heard. Has anyone been able to fly home in the last month via JetBlue? Anyone had their JetBlue flight canceled? Ours is May 2 Punta Cana to JFK.
We flew home to EWR on Jet Blue a month ago. No issues.

Jan 9, 2004
There are currently no commercial flights allowed into or out of the DR. Airlines are showing flights, then canceling, in anticipation of the opening of the borders by the government.

The only flights operating into the DR and out, are repatriation flights..........and they are, at this moment, only through SDQ.

If you are desperate to get out, please call your embassy. The US had a repatriation flight yesterday out of SDQ/JFK.

Booking flights on airline websites based on the schedules they are currently showing...........is a fools errand. With the extension of presidential powers regarding the State of Emergency, the air, land and sea borders will likely remain closed (except for one way repatriation flights) until at least mid-May.

Please call your embassy..........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
"No, everything is not "ok", but at the same, it does not resemble anything similar to other so called hot spots within the globe we share. The biggest problem to date has been the closures of businesses, and the related economic impact. Not lines of sick people. Not lack of ventilators. Not people being wheeled out back doors under the cover of darkness. No mass graves. No riots. No looting. No zombies.
Perhaps if you were here, you could see it for yourself."

I have family in New York and living there they can not see any of the things you describe above, although there is some major suffering going on in that virus hotspot. If you are not living around the corner of one of the hospitals you will not see any of those things.

I have a friend in Santo Domingo, Los Minas and 3 weeks ago the rumor from enfermeras working there was going on about the hospital around the corner in Los Minas, maternidad, full of corona cases. After hearing that they lived around the corner of a corona hotspot they fled to the country side. Weeks later a newspaper confirmed corona cases in baby's and mothers in maternidad.

I know maternidad and have been there several times and I know Los Minas having lived there, I know how many people are every day in and around that hospital and that it is located in the middle of the densely populated barrio Los Minas. Not a good situation.

Most people living in the middle of a virus disaster will not be able to see any of the things you describe, unless they know the right people or really live around the corner of the hotspots.

Going with your argument that you need to be able to see it, I could now say Santo Domingo is much worse then New York?? But of course not, as anecdotal evidence is next to worthless. But you can say there is stuff going on and more stuff then reported in the numbers. How much, I don't know but with going there and looking you will never find out.

Reactions: Timotero

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
The airlines need your money. If you book they charge you and then cancel the reservations. The airports will open eventually, but the date is unknown.

Guess you are right. Found out to accept a voucher is not the worst idea, because if you demand repayment you wait month and if you then book a new flight you have to pay with real money again which gets canceled again you then have more and more money in the hands of the airline. If you pay with the voucher you have that same amount in the game all the time reused without additional financial risk.

Reactions: Clandestino

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Regarding flights to Europe there is two things more to watch additionally to closed airports:

1) Germany has today forbidden Germans to travel till mid June, saying they did not pay a lot for repatriation flights to now Germans again leaving and then they have to search them again. I assume that's valid for most countries.

2) The European Union has a ban on all non-residents entering till may 15 and now the French president says he recommends to prolong this till September.

Because of 1) there is no demand for flights Europe to DR and because of 2) no demand for DR - Europe. Not till end June or maybe September

nickdr

May 30, 2014
There are currently no commercial flights allowed into or out of the DR. Airlines are showing flights, then canceling, in anticipation of the opening of the borders by the government.

The only flights operating into the DR and out, are repatriation flights..........and they are, at this moment, only through SDQ.

If you are desperate to get out, please call your embassy. The US had a repatriation flight yesterday out of SDQ/JFK.

Booking flights on airline websites based on the schedules they are currently showing...........is a fools errand. With the extension of presidential powers regarding the State of Emergency, the air, land and sea borders will likely remain closed (except for one way repatriation flights) until at least mid-May.

Please call your embassy..........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks for the info. We called the US Embassy in Santo Domingo at 809-567-7775 and could not get any help or talk to anybody; just said they are closed due to covid19.

We called JetBlue and the lady we spoke with seemed to be familiar with the situation. Right away she said that they were not allowed to bring anybody into the DR but that empty planes were flying to PUJ and SDQ and picking up people to bring them back home. She stated the last successful flight PUJ-JFK was April 27th and that our flight on May 2nd is good to go. So the flight should be a safe bet... we will see.

Reactions: Timotero

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Anyone wonder how big the rush to the hardware store will be ?

In Germany the hardware stores never closed. I see this as a big problem in RD as I am looking for chemicals for the pool and not found a source - and there is more and more pressure to reopen the pool. Anyone with a secret shop still open...

In Austria the hardware stores were closed and reopened last week and it was absolutely incredible, waiting lines a kilometer long - made it with a photo even to CNN front page. This will be even worse in RD.

This was only beaten by Mac Donald drive in reopening with the 3 hours waiting times and traffic collapse. No joke.

Reactions: cavok
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for the info. We called the US Embassy in Santo Domingo at 809-567-7775 and could not get any help or talk to anybody; just said they are closed due to covid19.

We called JetBlue and the lady we spoke with seemed to be familiar with the situation. Right away she said that they were not allowed to bring anybody into the DR but that empty planes were flying to PUJ and SDQ and picking up people to bring them back home. She stated the last successful flight PUJ-JFK was April 27th and that our flight on May 2nd is good to go. So the flight should be a safe bet... we will see.

You can also send an email: SDOAmericans@state.gov

There are repatriation flights out of SDQ..........much closer to you than PUJ

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Status
Not open for further replies.