When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
This is very usefull information for the Austrians I am helping. But it seems impossible to get from Spain to Austria. Flights from Spain are not allowed to land in Austria and transiting Spain, France and Germany to go to Austria by train or car seems impossible and high risk to catch the virus. As you say it sounds stessfull or maybe impossible. Maybe in a month time with infection numbers going down in those countries.

There are no restrictions on travel into the UK, so I think you could get to Spain then to London OK. Not sure about the London to Austria part

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Maybe it has less to do now with fear of the virus and more because they had not expected it to last this long or for personal reasons have to travel. Unless you are Spanish and your destination is Madrid this sounds stressful.

Wait until they hear that flights are probably not going to start until August 11th

Reactions: miketallman
Dec 5, 2017
So if the above applies, maybe it follows that it would be a good idea to buy a ticket at today's prices, get the travel voucher and fly later having paid today's prices rather than wait to book and pay higher prices later. ???
Unfortunately the vouchers don't usually work like that. When you rebook, if the flight costs more you have to pay the difference between the value of the voucher and the new price.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
I can confirm that as it just happened to me. The new price now is twice the price of the voucher...
To explain: I have to pay the original price twice. Once I payed in July last year for April this year and received now a voucher for the canceled April flight , which now gets me only half a flight as the price is double now - I have to pay the original price again and use the voucher to get a ticket. Which again might ger canceled resulting in yet another voucher. Nice....having more and more in the hand of the airline and still not having a flight...

A special sadistic twist: No cash refund because the airline went broke in September after I bought the fully refundable full price ticket. Any cash refund would have to go via bancrupcy proceeding while as the airline continued to operate the ticket itself was kept valid...but only if used...and of course it could not be used because of the virus...now I have to be gratefull to even receive a voucher....dios mio

(not sure if thats really legal, as the bancrupcy they never informed me untill I asked for the money in April. Thats when they told me. Their marketing department seems to have told not to talk about their bancrupcy )

Reactions: Clandestino

miketallman

Apr 29, 2020
Maryland, USA
Dominican Republic borders are closed to tourists (visitors) until at least May 17th. That means all airports. However, there are a few "ferry" flights in and out of the country. Meaning tourists (visitors) can leave and Dominican citizens/residents can return home, which they will be subject to a 14-day quarantine. You can still book flights to the DR with certain airlines between now and May 17th because the airlines need the money. However, they will be canceled for non-Dominican citizens or residents. You can also book flights for May 18th and beyond for the same reason, the airlines need the money. It is a gamble that some are willing to take because they have good reasons like trying to get back home and/or to see their family but they are not Dominican citizens or residents. As a tourist who loves the DR, I very much want to return sooner than later. However, I won't book flights until it is safe for everyone involved not just myself.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I have a question for some of you guys. Although they say the borders are closed I see several JetBlue flights flying into Santo Domingo from JFK. If the borders are closed what's going on with these flights? For example Jetblue B6 6109.

• Haha
Reactions: Caonabo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a question for some of you guys. Although they say the borders are closed I see several JetBlue flights flying into Santo Domingo from JFK. If the borders are closed what's going on with these flights? For example Jetblue B6 6109.

It could be a repatriation flight if it is coming in before the borders are open.

miketallman

Apr 29, 2020
Maryland, USA
They are "ferry flights" see my post above. They are either empty coming into the DR or with Dominican Citizens or Residents returning home. They then return with USA citizens or residents or of some legal status. All will be subject to quarantine when they land. These flights are not carrying tourists.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Wait until they hear that flights are probably not going to start until August 11th

True and if you want to travel internationally now you cant be picky. I heard about Danes going on train from London to Copenhagen. We can only fly from here though lol. Maybe the next is ferries. Convert cruise ships into ferries Miami to SD.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I just got off the phone making a reservation for mid-June JFK to Sto Do.

No problem but interesting when I asked for aisle seat on a return about a month later, they were all taken.
As far as repatriation flights, yes they are still happening as of now. IDK who pays.
BTW, cheaper than ever...no charging more so as to make up . . . BS.

Reactions: aarhus

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I just got off the phone making a reservation for mid-June JFK to Sto Do.

No problem but interesting when I asked for aisle seat on a return about a month later, they were all taken.
As far as repatriation flights, yes they are still happening as of now. IDK who pays.
BTW, cheaper than ever...no charging more so as to make up . . . BS.

Booking is always easy, no shortage of airlines willing to take your money. But the airspace is not yet confirmed as open, so there is a risk your flight will be cancelled, and if it is all you will get is a voucher, not your money back. Also bear in mind when you do get to Santo Domingo there won't be any bars or restaurants or hotels open. No gyms. Even the beaches and parks may still be closed.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
True and if you want to travel internationally now you cant be picky. I heard about Danes going on train from London to Copenhagen. We can only fly from here though lol. Maybe the next is ferries. Convert cruise ships into ferries Miami to SD.
I think the airlines are going to struggle to fill a normal flight to Dom Rep, let alone a cruise ship.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Booking is always easy, no shortage of airlines willing to take your money. But the airspace is not yet confirmed as open, so there is a risk your flight will be cancelled, and if it is all you will get is a voucher, not your money back. Also bear in mind when you do get to Santo Domingo there won't be any bars or restaurants or hotels open. No gyms. Even the beaches and parks may still be closed.

Understood. But this is no cash involved. It's reward points from amex that are in my account. If they cancel or change its not a problem. As far as no bars etc, I'm on my way to my apartment in JD.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think the airlines are going to struggle to fill a normal flight to Dom Rep, let alone a cruise ship.
Ferries instead of cruise ships was just a futuristic naive idea of mine. With flights I am thinking first Miami and NY and Atlanta from US will be back up. Maybe before August. Europe will be later. November maybe.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Ferries instead of cruise ships was just a futuristic naive idea of mine. With flights I am thinking first Miami and NY and Atlanta from US will be back up. Maybe before August. Europe will be later. November maybe.

Yes I think you're right there John. And maybe flights to Panama as it's a good transit hub and those Copa flights are alway reasonably busy.

Reactions: aarhus

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Understood. But this is no cash involved. It's reward points from amex that are in my account. If they cancel or change its not a problem. As far as no bars etc, I'm on my way to my apartment in JD.
I've done the same thing, but now British Airways is making you call them to cancel even reward flights, and this can involve days of being held waiting for someone to answer. Hopefully the system works better in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.