When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Dominicans and residents and I think if you are married to a Dominican. They can fly into the DR correct ?

Correct. As I understand it. I saw recently facts about Dominicans arriving on repatriation flights from South American countries. And I do think they have been arriving from the U.S.

I booked regular flights out of and into the DR well in advance of now because I plan ahead, and all have been canceled so far. By U.S. airlines Delta, American, and United. I had flights canceled in March, April, and now May. (I will have to try a repatriation flight if not able to do regular flights in June.)

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
It's possibly a money grab from desperate travelers. 3.5k and then cancel the flight and issue travel voucher. I don't think we will see international flights here earlier than mid July .

Prices have now returned to normal for American Airlines for June.. was able to book on June 22 for 26K miles which is a pretty good rate

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I get the desire to let people out of lock down. I understand the need to allow businesses and employees to make some money. I think we already came to the conclusion that long before there is an effective treatment or vaccine for CV19, there would be a need to open the taps and begin to allow populations to become infected at a rate that was manageable - knowing that would mean more people will unfortunately be killed by the disease.

Clearly some countries depend more than others on tourism and business travel in general. However, until there is a treatment/vaccine, the absolute worst decision govts could make would be allowing people to jet round the world again. It will be difficult enough managing the ever increasing numbers of domestic infected without allowing planes to drop off who knows how many wildcards into the mix day after day.

Even if the DR hotels open as has been announced, I believe it would be a catastrophic mistake to allow hordes of infected into a country that is ill equipped to monitor and treat them and all those they subsequently infect. I do not think anyone actually believes that lifting lock down restrictions is going to result in fewer new cases of CV19. Even if the DR does throw open to the tourism doors, I am hopeful that the vast majority of would be causal travelers will either choose not to travel due to restrictions that remain onerous in their home country or realize that just be cause one can travel again, it is not necessarily a good thing to do until the majority of people have had and recovered from CV19.

This single government decision worries me the most. If the DR decides to prematurely invite the world to come visit again that might just be enough justification to convince me that this country is no longer where I wish to be and it might be time to bug out home where the devil you know with decent medical care is a more palatable alternative than what will surely beset this rock. Maybe I worry too much. From what I am seeing, I think a lot of countries will bugger this up so badly that they are all locked down again in a couple of months.

In the UK where we have had 30,000 deaths so far, only 261 people were aged under 60 with no underlying health conditions. 261 people out of a population of 70 million. It's really important to get this disease into perspective, for most people it is a very mild disease.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Repatriation to Canada.
Who would pay CAD $800/USD $567.84/DOP 31799 for a one way flight to Canada of all places?
Oh, the cost of repatriation. What a boondoggle.

People were warned several times about the quarantine. I know that the British embassy contacted everyone in hotels who wasn't returning to make them aware that they would be stuck. Some people decided to stay, and then bleated that they had broken a toe nail and needed the UK government to send a private jet to fly them back. Eventually some countries have laid on these ferry flights. Bear in mind they have to fly empty one way, so obviously the costs are higher than a normal fare would be. Personally I think if people are stupid enough to ignore several warnings to leave a country now, they deserve to be fleeced with high fares.

Reactions: wuarhat and Caonabo

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I guess some of those "in the know", are quite far from it.

If you're referring to my post, the person involved is quite senior with Ministry of Tourism and in charge of liaison with major tour operators and airlines for a particular region. I own a hotel, I do know a fair few people who work in positions of power, you have to if you want to run any type of business in Dom Rep.

Reactions: miketallman

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
People were warned several times about the quarantine. I know that the British embassy contacted everyone in hotels who wasn't returning to make them aware that they would be stuck. Some people decided to stay, and then bleated that they had broken a toe nail and needed the UK government to send a private jet to fly them back. Eventually some countries have laid on these ferry flights. Bear in mind they have to fly empty one way, so obviously the costs are higher than a normal fare would be. Personally I think if people are stupid enough to ignore several warnings to leave a country now, they deserve to be fleeced with high fares.

I got 0 anything from the british------ not that i wanted to or needed.........but still, not a peep.
A bloody email can't be that hard to organise..... ( like the swiss did ).

Sep 22, 2009
If you're referring to my post, the person involved is quite senior with Ministry of Tourism and in charge of liaison with major tour operators and airlines for a particular region. I own a hotel, I do know a fair few people who work in positions of power, you have to if you want to run any type of business in Dom Rep.
You ride this inside contacts thing pretty hard. Where I come from, if you have to go around telling folks how good you are at something, chances are you're probably not that good.

-with metta

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

No Mr. Paul, I was not referring to you.
I was referring to the poster that did not understand why a JetBlue flight would be in motion towards RD.

• Haha
Reactions: El Rey de Mangu

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In the UK where we have had 30,000 deaths so far, only 261 people were aged under 60 with no underlying health conditions. 261 people out of a population of 70 million. It's really important to get this disease into perspective, for most people it is a very mild disease.

Pretty crass if you ask me. As far as I am concerned a person is a person regardless of their age. 30,000 is a lot of people in my book. Being susceptible to serous complication from CV19 and in the age bracket that some youngsters call me "old", I take exception to being causally written off by people who don't know me.

Obviously I do not share your perspective and won't be changing my position. No reply necessary TP.

Sep 22, 2009
Pretty crass if you ask me. As far as I am concerned a person is a person regardless of their age. 30,000 is a lot of people in my book. Being susceptible to serous complication from CV19 and in the age bracket that some youngsters call me "old", I take exception to being causally written off by people who don't know me.

Obviously I do not share your perspective and won't be changing my position. No reply necessary TP.
:cry:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You ride this inside contacts thing pretty hard. Where I come from, if you have to go around telling folks how good you are at something, chances are you're probably not that good.

-with metta
Yes but, OTOH, when ppl come on board and post a significant piece of information all the members scream " Give us the source. Give us the link". So who are we believe.? I would go with the person that has the most "credible" information. (However you might define the word. )

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Here is an interesting twist.....

Will international travel resume this year? Treasury Secretary Mnuchin says it's 'too hard to tell'.....

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin encouraged Americans to focus on domestic travel this year as the international travel outlook for the rest of 2020 remains uncertain amid the coronavirus pandemic.

In response to a question from Maria Bartiromo on Fox Business Network Monday about whether international travel will be opened up this year, he responded, “Too hard to tell at this point."

The Treasury secretary clarified that there may be room for limited international travel: “Obviously, for businesspeople that do need to travel, there will be travel on a limited basis."

Travelers interested in going abroad don't have many options, given a slew of international travel restrictions, government travel warnings and limited international flights. In late March, the U.S. State Department issued its highest alert level for international travel, telling Americans to avoid all international travel, an advisory that remains in place.

The Treasury secretary hailed domestic travel as a better option, though many states have traveler restrictions in place.

“The president’s also looking about ways to stimulate travel. We want people to travel safely, to be able to visit places safely," Mnuchin said. "So as the economy opens up, I think you’ll see demand coming back. Our priority is opening the domestic economy."

U.S. airlines hope that's the case, but executives said they see little, if any, signs of near-term travel demand. United Airlines President Scott Kirby said Friday that travel demand is essentially "zero'' and cautioned that could be the scenario into 2021.

He and Gary Kelly, CEO of Southwest Airlines, said there is little impetus for most people to travel, even within the USA, until there are things to do when they get to their destinations, from eating at restaurants to visiting tourist attractions such as Disney World and Disneyland.

Mnuchin remains optimistic.

“This is a great time for people to explore America. A lot of people haven’t seen many parts of America,'' Mnuchin said. "I wish I could get back on the road soon.”

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I got 0 anything from the british------ not that i wanted to or needed.........but still, not a peep.
A bloody email can't be that hard to organise..... ( like the swiss did ).
They don't send emails anymore but they issue regular updates via FB and Twitter.
facebook.com/UKinDomRep
Twitter @ukindomrep

Reactions: waytogo and malko

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Here is an interesting twist.....

Will international travel resume this year? Treasury Secretary Mnuchin says it's 'too hard to tell'.....

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin encouraged Americans to focus on domestic travel this year as the international travel outlook for the rest of 2020 remains uncertain amid the coronavirus pandemic.

In response to a question from Maria Bartiromo on Fox Business Network Monday about whether international travel will be opened up this year, he responded, “Too hard to tell at this point."

The Treasury secretary clarified that there may be room for limited international travel: “Obviously, for businesspeople that do need to travel, there will be travel on a limited basis."

Travelers interested in going abroad don't have many options, given a slew of international travel restrictions, government travel warnings and limited international flights. In late March, the U.S. State Department issued its highest alert level for international travel, telling Americans to avoid all international travel, an advisory that remains in place.

The Treasury secretary hailed domestic travel as a better option, though many states have traveler restrictions in place.

“The president’s also looking about ways to stimulate travel. We want people to travel safely, to be able to visit places safely," Mnuchin said. "So as the economy opens up, I think you’ll see demand coming back. Our priority is opening the domestic economy."

U.S. airlines hope that's the case, but executives said they see little, if any, signs of near-term travel demand. United Airlines President Scott Kirby said Friday that travel demand is essentially "zero'' and cautioned that could be the scenario into 2021.

He and Gary Kelly, CEO of Southwest Airlines, said there is little impetus for most people to travel, even within the USA, until there are things to do when they get to their destinations, from eating at restaurants to visiting tourist attractions such as Disney World and Disneyland.

Mnuchin remains optimistic.

“This is a great time for people to explore America. A lot of people haven’t seen many parts of America,'' Mnuchin said. "I wish I could get back on the road soon.”

That’s very concerning for the DR from an economic perspective.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
No Mr. Paul, I was not referring to you.
I was referring to the poster that did not understand why a JetBlue flight would be in motion towards RD.

Its one thing to cyberstalk me...but I like it so I don't mind at all.

Then there was you disliking every single post I made on the old forum. I enjoyed that too.

You're obsessed with me lol.

But if this feels like you finally won against me enjoy that lmao.

I had no idea they were flying domincans back "everyday" as well. Sue me. See you at my next posts.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Prices have now returned to normal for American Airlines for June.. was able to book on June 22 for 26K miles which is a pretty good rate
WestJet is actually showing seat sales for Canada-POP flights for July and August. They normally do that anyway because it’s low season.

Reactions: Tonchi

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
Reactions: JfromNY

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
WestJet is actually showing seat sales for Canada-POP flights for July and August. They normally do that anyway because it’s low season.
Actually it’s June...don’t buy unless you happy with 24 month credit if canceled..

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Except for the 30000 In last 6 weeks..

Reactions: drstock
Status
Not open for further replies.