When Will The Government Review Covid Travel Restrictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Hi, from what I can see the 6 Southern African countries are STILL on the no-entry list, mind boggling!! (unless it changed). If so does anyone know when the government will review this rule - is there a set "we review Covid restrictions every XYZ weeks" or is it just a case of waiting and wondering? Is there a government website that has this info, if so please provide a link. Thanks.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Canadians were thrown a bone yesterday by the Federal Health and Transport ministers. The now useless PCR testing requirement for Canadians returning from abroad will be eliminated at the end of February. We are the last of the G-7 countries to eliminate it. Only fully vaccinated Canadians are eligible for the exemption. Random rapid testing will still occur at arriving airports.

Expect flight bookings to the DR and Mexico from Canada to increase significantly. Just in time for March break.

• Wow
Reactions: melphis and cavok
May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Canadians were thrown a bone yesterday by the Federal Health and Transport ministers. The now useless PCR testing requirement for Canadians returning from abroad will be eliminated at the end of February. We are the last of the G-7 countries to eliminate it. Only fully vaccinated Canadians are eligible for the exemption. Random rapid testing will still occur at arriving airports.

Expect flight bookings to the DR and Mexico from Canada to increase significantly. Just in time for March break.
Sigh - you’re fortunate. However the DR never prevented you from entering here. My issue is that I urgently need to get to South Africa… however the DR will not allow me to return home - I have to “wash out” somewhere for 14 days - so really frustrating! It kills me that countries in Europe record 400 000 cases in a single day and are welcome here with open arms… yet South Africa and it’s neighbors are banned completely for merely FINDING the damn variant… brain explodes 😫

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Sigh - you’re fortunate. However the DR never prevented you from entering here. My issue is that I urgently need to get to South Africa… however the DR will not allow me to return home - I have to “wash out” somewhere for 14 days - so really frustrating! It kills me that countries in Europe record 400 000 cases in a single day and are welcome here with open arms… yet South Africa and it’s neighbors are banned completely for merely FINDING the damn variant… brain explodes 😫
What about the ferry to Puerto Rico? Would they restrict you from boarding? From Puerto Rico you could make arrangements to get to a US airport and then home.

Reactions: It wasn't me
May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
What about the ferry to Puerto Rico? Would they restrict you from boarding? From Puerto Rico you could make arrangements to get to a US airport and then home.
I think you misunderstand … I live in the Dominican Republic. So I cannot re-enter the DR (ie home) if I have been to Southern Africa in the last 14 days. Thus I would need to leave South Africa… cool my heels in say europe for 14 days (cos they don’t have omicron, right) then only enter DR!!! It’s rediculous!!! There’s more omicron in EU than in South Africa!!! Grrrrrrr

Reactions: cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I think you misunderstand … I live in the Dominican Republic. So I cannot re-enter the DR (ie home) if I have been to Southern Africa in the last 14 days. Thus I would need to leave South Africa… cool my heels in say europe for 14 days (cos they don’t have omicron, right) then only enter DR!!! It’s rediculous!!! There’s more omicron in EU than in South Africa!!! Grrrrrrr
Ok now i understand but i had to run this through Google translate.

• Sad
Reactions: It wasn't me

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Another Apo' sock

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012

my understanding is that they switched out the tests. No longer need the expensive test and switched it out for the same one that allows you to travel to USA. Its a bit of a bone but with a string attached.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
my understanding is that they switched out the tests. No longer need the expensive test and switched it out for the same one that allows you to travel to USA. Its a bit of a bone but with a string attached.
That wasn’t mentioned in the information I saw. At least rapid tests are cheap and easily self administered. I can live with that. Maybe the airlines will include them in the ticket price and distribute them on Southbound flights. The threat of having to stay in an expensive Covid hotel has left a bad taste in many Canadian mouths. That fiasco will linger in the minds of many Canadians.

Reactions: rogerjac

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Nothing definite has been announced by the CDN Govt yet. Supposed to be later this coming week. I suspect an antigen test from a lab will still be required but good news that the more difficult and expensive PCR test requirement will be scrapped. Now I just hope the 72 hour rule will still apply and not be shortened to 24 hours before as in the USA currently. Antigen tests from a lab for tourists here in the DR should be an easier and cheaper requirement to meet. These should also reduce the stress involved wondering if the results can be returned in time before a scheduled flight.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Nothing definite has been announced by the CDN Govt yet. Supposed to be later this coming week. I suspect an antigen test from a lab will still be required but good news that the more difficult and expensive PCR test requirement will be scrapped. Now I just hope the 72 hour rule will still apply and not be shortened to 24 hours before as in the USA currently. Antigen tests from a lab for tourists here in the DR should be an easier and cheaper requirement to meet. These should also reduce the stress involved wondering if the results can be returned in time before a scheduled flight.

I’d buy my own Government accepted self administered rapid test from SwitchHealth. Easy to do in your own room and instant results with approved QR code. Other option would be to arrive back and ask for rapid test. Pay for it and 15 minutes later if your properly vaccinated and negative, you should be good to go. If positive, go home and isolate for five days. Most provinces don’t require that anymore. Just test at home every day for five days then go about your business.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I’d buy my own Government accepted self administered rapid test from SwitchHealth. Easy to do in your own room and instant results with approved QR code. Other option would be to arrive back and ask for rapid test. Pay for it and 15 minutes later if your properly vaccinated and negative, you should be good to go. If positive, go home and isolate for five days. Most provinces don’t require that anymore. Just test at home every day for five days then go about your business.
that would make sense. Our government has none and dosen't want yours. I will say here until its easy to go back

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
that would make sense. Our government has none and dosen't want yours. I will say here until its easy to go back
In hindsight, I regret not heading back to the DR last December before the Omicron variant foolishness. Many of my friends did.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just entered y'day... into Canada

$139US for the test ....Fri afternoon....in NY state

I was parked o/s the Cdn border Monday AM waiting for my results.....
they arrived at 8:15.....

What a farce

Reactions: Tonchi and rogerjac

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I just entered y'day... into Canada

$139US for the test ....Fri afternoon....in NY state

I was parked o/s the Cdn border Monday AM waiting for my results.....
they arrived at 8:15.....

What a farce
So the test still required for re-entry to Canada for the fully vaccinated?

Based on your cost, we would be looking at $559 in tests alone for our family upon re-entry.

Nothing seems to have changed since the last update on Dec.15. It would sure be nice if it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.