A Good Dominican Movie

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
"Princesas" was good, and the dominican chica was played by a puerto rican actress from NYC. She had me going-I thought she was 100% dominican until I read her biography. She really is talented because she came across as genuine.

I have also seen Sanky Panky, Viajeros and La Carcel de la Victoria. Dominican cinema has to start somewhere, and even thought people can find fault with these movies it is definitely a step in the right direction.

All we need are a couple of players in the movie business to come to the realization that there is talent on the island and the movies will progressively get better.

There are definitely dominican stories out there that just need to see the light of day, and definitely dominican actors who could do the roles justice.

And thank you Mr. DR for that movie list-I will try to catch as many of the movies you mentioned as I can.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
"Princesas" was good, and the dominican chica was played by a puerto rican actress from NYC. She had me going-I thought she was 100% dominican until I read her biography. She really is talented because she came across as genuine.

I have also seen Sanky Panky, Viajeros and La Carcel de la Victoria. Dominican cinema has to start somewhere, and even thought people can find fault with these movies it is definitely a step in the right direction.

All we need are a couple of players in the movie business to come to the realization that there is talent on the island and the movies will progressively get better.

There are definitely dominican stories out there that just need to see the light of day, and definitely dominican actors who could do the roles justice.

And thank you Mr. DR for that movie list-I will try to catch as many of the movies you mentioned as I can.

You are welcome Berzin

you will enjoy many of those movies.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Spanish and Mexican directors

Also, since I live here in Santiago, I get to watch a lot of foreign movies from Spain and Mexico.

What I find about the movies from Mexico is there are two types, one poorly made action movies where it looks like they are firing cap guns and the other are comedies from the 70's and 80's with this guy with curly hair whose only purpose in life is to get women naked and get in bed with them.

As far as the Spanish movies, apart from their accent, which seems so self gratuitous, the themes are so dark and odd I often feel depressed after a short time. On the whole I have rarely seen anything positive or uplifting or anything close remotely considered as action.

A far as foreign movies in general, there have been quite a few that I have enjoyed and can't understand why I haven't at least seen a decent one from the places I have mentioned.

Have you seen any of the films of the following directors:

Alfonso Cuar?n Orozco (Mexico) Y tu mam? tambi?n
Pedro Almod?var (Spain) Volver, La mala educaci?n
Alejandro Gonz?lez I??rritu (Mexico) -- Amorres perros, 21 Grams (English)

I like them, I don't think they are depressing but some DO explore dark (child abuse, incest) themes and some of them are uplifting (Volver) and even hilarious (Y tu mam? tambi?n).

But perhaps, they wouldn't appeal to you given your moral convictions Chip?
I'm just speculating...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
But perhaps, they wouldn't appeal to you given your moral convictions Chip?
I'm just speculating...

Could be, but then again I like action flics. Here are some of my favorite movies:

The Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
The Bourne series
The Matrix series
The Star Wars series

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The Shawshank Redemption
Starman
Close Encounters of the third kind
Kramer VS Kramer
The Guns of Navarone
Where Eagles dare
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Dirty Dozen
Dune
The Day of The Jackal (1973)
Operation Daybreak (1975) a.k.a. Siete Hombres al Amanecer (DR)
Logan's Run (1976)
Dirty Harry (1971)
The day the Earth stood still (195?)
Star Wars (the original ones)
Meat Balls
The Cassandra Crossing (1976)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
Cool Hand Luke (1967)

On TV:
Mission Impossible
Ironside
Branded
Barnabas Collins (Dark Shadows)
Adams Family
Miami Vice
Lone Ranger
Emergency
Magnum PI
Kojack
The Monkees
Petrocelli
The Streets of San Franciso
Hogan's Heroes
Baretta
Dragnet
The Flying Nun
The Green Hornet
Hawaii 5-0

Some of the ones I can still remenber...

Yikes!!! I must be getting pretty old (my son just asked me what all these names meant) LORD HAVE MERCY!!!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Could be, but then again I like action flics. Here are some of my favorite movies:

The Gladiator ---1!
A Beautiful Mind -----5!
The Bourne series------3!
The Matrix series ----2!
The Star Wars series----4!

The ones most recent I love you already cited for me!!!
Incredible!!! But it seems that we have something in common!!!!

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
Without going too much off topic.
these two spanish movies are my favorites:
Crimen ferpecto
and Carreteras Secundarias

Bonao99

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think Sanky Panky is a great movie. Very funny and it has good music.

jackietdl

Nov 26, 2007
MamIndie, baby, I'm with you 100%.

And after 10 minutes of "Perico Ripiao," I placed the DVD in the trash, along with my copy of "Andrea," which I didn't bother inserting into the player.

Later, one of my "smart" cousins was bragging about how good "Perico" was - we don't talk much, by the way... I listen a lot.

you should have watched andrea first its much better than perico ripiao my husbands dominican and we have moved back to england and have to order these movies over the internet and must have at least 20 movies but the only 2 i have enjoyed is andrea and sanky panky my huadand thinks perico pipiao los locos and nueba yol are funny dominicans certainly have a different sense of humor to westerners i hope the success of sanky panky paths the way for better movies i have just ordered the feast of the goat after reading the book and will let you know what i think

May 31, 2005
Feast of the goat is a good movie in my opinion. The only thing that I did not like was that everyone (including the poor Dominicans) was talking with a Spanish accent.

Mita

Feb 28, 2014
@ squat "Subtle" is not part of the Dominican culture, I agree with you a hundred percent.
We can try to read english, maybe we will not have a full understanding or the meanings of the English grammar. Any how we are in Dominican republic
I ask you can you show me a Latin culture that is subtle ?
Any country descending from Latin culture is indelicate & distasteful.

Aug 6, 2006
I ask you can you show me a Latin culture that is subtle ?
Any country descending from Latin culture is indelicate & distasteful.
=========================================================
I have seen Spanish, Argentine and Mexican films that were as subtle as anything in the US.
Almod?var is not subtle, but he is more innovative in many ways than 99% of Hollywood directors.
I recall a Uruguayan film, "Whiskey" that was pretty subtle.
And several Argentine films as well: XXY about a young Argentine transsexual, El Aura, a taxidermist and the perfect crime, Nueve Reinas, a con man gets conned.

Ricardo Darin is one of my favorite Latin actors. He started out in telenovelas, but he selects really good plots and is very convincing as an actor.

Dominicans, I agree, at least most of them, are not a subtle people. What you see tends to be what you get. And as a rule, they are perfectly awful at lying. Most Dominican liars are easier to spot than Pinocchio himself. There are advantages and disadvantages to this.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I recall a Uruguayan film, "Whiskey" that was pretty subtle.
And several Argentine films as well: XXY about a young Argentine transsexual, El Aura, a taxidermist and the perfect crime, Nueve Reinas, a con man gets conned.

Ricardo Darin is one of my favorite Latin actors. He started out in telenovelas, but he selects really good plots and is very convincing as an actor.
100% agree - I've seen several of Darin's films and he is an exceptional actor. Nueve reinas is a masterpiece.
There are some young Dominican filmmakers wanting to make quality cinema but they are less likely to get backing than the TV comedians who dominate Dominican cinema.