Where Does International Mail Go? (Not FedEx, Carib, BMCargo, etc.)

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I had a friend send me mail the other day, used my residential address - the item was not valueable. I have always known to use any international method as DR does not have any publicly funded ? mail service like US/CAN. Where does it all go though? If I write an address for POP city what can i expect to happen? where does it get processed etc? thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If he just sent it by regular mail with a residential address the odds of it getting there are about the same as hitting the lottery. But you may be able to get it from a DR Post Office. Just not a good idea.......

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I had a friend send me mail the other day, used my residential address - the item was not valueable. I have always known to use any international method as DR does not have any publicly funded ? mail service like US/CAN. Where does it all go though? If I write an address for POP city what can i expect to happen? where does it get processed etc? thanks
Package will most likely never arrive. If you had a local number written on the package you may get
a phone call. I recommend you head over to the main post office in a few days and explain your situation
to them. If you're lucky someone may assi$t you with locating it.
Going forward I recommend you try using one of the postal forwarding companies. There are several
operating in the POP area.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Package will most likely never arrive. If you had a local number written on the package you may get
a phone call. I recommend you head over to the main post office in a few days and explain your situation
Going forward I recommend you try using one of the postal forwarding companies. There are several
OK thanks, yeah was more or less someone from North America sending me something to be nice but unaware of the postal state in D.R lol I normally use BM-cargo for anything - economical and pretty fast for normal non-heavy stuff.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
These packages are just held at for example in POP: https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...9356f6!8m2!3d19.7973174!4d-70.6895768!9m1!1b1

for X amount of time before realistically they're opened and declared not claimed or disposed of? Why is there even a ( not sure if its public of private funded in D.R ) if the local post office does not have the resources to dispatch/process/handle ?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just wondering: How many of you follow the INPOSDOM social media pages?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
While not overly rapid the postal service in Las Terrenas worked quite well for mail (letters not packages of value), both from Europe and the States. Everything would hit the country (the capital) in 5 days or so then the delays start. After that mail would arrive anywhere from 2 weeks to three months but never lost anything. In fact, the postmaster would stop me on the street and tell me I had mail or would text me. System works great, you just cant be in a rush.. Long live the postage stamp!!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've heard rumors of postmen but in 16 years here, I've never actually seen one. They're rarer than the chupacabra here on the north coast.

Reactions: Gadfly

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
It's almost like lottery. I get (supossed to get) 52 letters every year to a very centaral address in SD. I do not need them but i keep them coming for the last 15 years. Best Year was the year before covid when i received a total of 17. Do not even consider sending something important !!!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have to be lucky, parcels ( rare ) and letters/postcards always arrive to me in the the middle of nowhere, from europe.

It takes time....... sometimes months.
Also it arrives from europe in the week usually, my family tracks it from the UK, but then can take weeks or even months to make its way across the DR 🤨🤨🤨🤨.

There is no postman. Your local "postoffice" gives you a call and you go and pick up..... or send a motoconcho.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
They have a postal system here? Guess today is not a right off. I learned something new

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
About 10 years ago an insurance company mistakenly sent me a check here to my DR address. After about two weeks waiting I went to the post office in Sosua to look for it. What a joke! Ben Franklin's post office was more modern than this. I asked the postmaster if they had my letter and she brought out big box filled with hundreds of letters and told me to look through them, maybe I would find it in there. Unsupervised, I went through all the mail looking for my letter. There were many, many, letters there with postmarks 4,6,8 months old and more. Never did find it.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
About 10 years ago an insurance company mistakenly sent me a check here to my DR address. After about two weeks waiting I went to the post office in Sosua to look for it. What a joke! Ben Franklin's post office was more modern than this. I asked the postmaster if they had my letter and she brought out big box filled with hundreds of letters and told me to look through them, maybe I would find it in there. Unsupervised, I went through all the mail looking for my letter. There were many, many, letters there with postmarks 4,6,8 months old and more. Never did find it.
My neighbour went to that post office in Sosua to collect some mail. He was also allowed to sift through all of the letters unsupervised. He told me that there were several letters with my name on them.

I went to check it out and sure enough there was a bunch of letters for me. I had totally forgotten that I used my local address in the DR to inform the RAF and the UK gov that I had moved out of the UK. Some letters regarding my military pension over a couple of years old were waiting for me.