Where in the D.R. would you want to live in 15 years..

May 12, 2005
Frank, is it really 'negative' to point out that 10 years ago Kennedy y Luperon was a 'nice' area, and now it's not? The trend is, there are 2 DR's, and I don't see anything in the next 15 years that will change that. The differences between rich and poor will get wider and wider...

Everyone knows that not all is perfect in DR and a lot could be better but I really don't see any posts from you saying that you actually like anything here.

DIESEL1

Dec 29, 2008
then south west.But you are a long way from good health care and supermarkets. Or maybe Monte Cristi - but same issues there.

Matilda

That's definitely a concern.
What about Cabrera, Iv'e never been there. I have family in Rio San Juan but it's nothing like it was when I visited as a kid.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When was the last time you gave your maid a raise? Over the past 5 years, has her salary increased at the same rate as inflation?

There are now 3 malls in Santo Domingo that sell Luis Vuitton. How many where there 5 years ago? The cheapest thing in those stores costs what? $RD48,000. How many people in this country can fit that into their monthly budget?

Don't have a maid, but our teachers have received raises from 8-14% each of the past 5 years. Who in their right mind buys a $RD48,000 purse? As far as how many Dominicans could afford one, more than you think. Still waiting for your evidence.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Two years ago I wanted to invest in a place to retire (in about 8 or 10 years). Was looking at Costa Rica, Panama, and a couple / few other places. Then it dawned on me... why invest now for a place that will get minimal use in that interim time period. It was then that I decided to buy a place to be used now for vacation. The point is... planning for the future is fine, but you should live for today. If you must buy now, buy where you think you'd like to BE right now. OR.. as others always advise... rent first. The bottom line is that NOBODY HAS A CRYSTAL BALL.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
What evidence are you basing your statement that the gap between rich and poor will get wider and wider on?
I think the difference in the education rich kids get and the education poor kids get would be the best evidence you will find.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There will be very few people living in the republic now that still are in 15 years, it tends to spit people out as quickly as it draws people in, only the very stubborn few make it long term, settle for 20 years n so on.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think the difference in the education rich kids get and the education poor kids get would be the best evidence you will find.

That could be applied to almost every country in the world, except maybe Cuba , where have a high degree gets you less money than a taxi driver or prostitute. The lack of education certainly is a factor, as is the influx of illegal Haitians, unstable electricity....etc.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
if things are similar in 15 years as now........the only place besides santo domingo where i would consider buying property to live in is casa de campo.
i would have said the same 15 years ago.
sure, there have been crimes committed there, even with all their security.
sure there are many other places that could be considered "authentic" dominican.
i've been nearly everywhere in the dom rep and there are places i love to visit, but i could continue to do that while living comfortably.
best of all worlds.

i realise it is not a realistic option for most on this board...........good luck to those of you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Metro CC,and Guavaberry,both in Juan Dolio might deserve a "Look".
I like the "Metro CC",the Embasy Suites is there,with accessto their "Beach Club" at the beach.Golf course homes.
Close to SD,airport,security.
CC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Wel.. I would love to have a nice group compounds around the Island

I love Santo Domingo and would not want to EVER leave Gazcue

And Las Terrenas is home to my family

And I simply adore the plateau from San Juan de Maguana to Belledare and would love a country place up there in Belledare for the hot August nights

And then friends have a beach place now in Punta Rucia which I long to see

And ditto for a little place called San Juan de las Matas near Santiago

Others have a place off the south of Haiti called Ile La Vache which is GORGEOUS

and then;, of course, I would have to have a place in Jacmel for Carnival.

Plus, really, I have always longed to be in a boat in Boca de Yuma... near where Ponce de Leon was from,..

Ditto having a trip through those mangrove swamps north of Coricito,.

OH.. let's not forget the farm in Bayaguana.

And a BOAT in Luperon so that I could sail into Fort Liberte.

And OH I a long to go back to my place on the beach near St Marc, AMANI Y LES BAINS... where I used to walk out on my pristine beach and snorkel my reef for three hours a day.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I've got it!! A SAIL BOAT!!! I should have a sailboat!! duh!

oops for a moment that sounded like i was going to have to get back to work,... BUT i think I can convince my nephew, who is a dive master, that HE should buy a sailboat .. and ole auntie should just be able to look in on it

keepin a boat is work man!

i remember

not to mention

pricey

wow.. that was a close call..

the rest is just couch surfin!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
oops for a moment that sounded like i was going to have to get back to work,... BUT i think I can convince my nephew, who is a dive master, that HE should buy a sailboat .. and ole auntie should just be able to look in on it

i remember

not to mention

pricey

You had a great idea, mountainannie My wife and I lived for 17 years on a sailboat. Much of the time we were anchored in Samana harbor, but we also made trips to Puerto Rico, spent a year each in Trinidad and Venezuela, 6 months in St Lucia. and visited most of the other islands of the eastern Caribbean.

I can't do the same with my condo in Sosua.

Lots of advantages of living on a boat. When you get tired of one location, being able to pick up anchor and go to another one is just one of them

Hi everyone,
I value your input which is why I post this question. I'm planing on buying a lot or house within the next year, with plans of retiring in 15 years. Somewhere definitely close to a beach and safety is a big concern. I am Dominican and travel once or twice a year and have been to Punta Cana, Las Terrenas, Cabarete, Sosua. however haven't stayed long enough to see all the pros and cons.
Thanks all.

I think it all depends on where you have family in the Country, You say you are Dominican so if your family were in Cibao I would say look to the North Coast Puerto Plata, Sosua,Caberette or Gaspar Hernandez. If your Family was in the Capital I would think of Juan Dolio and if your family were out East I would think about the Bavaro area. Myself having spent extensive time traveling the entire Country plan to Retire to either the Sosua/Caberette area or in Santiago, I say Santiago for me because I dont need to be on a beach everyday. In the end this will all come down to a personal decision of where you feel more comfortable. I Love traveling to all the areas you have been to but to I have come to my decision because if I choose Sosua/Caberette area I am still only an hour away from Santiago and all the things that you may need from a big city and I can live near the beach with lots of different ethinic groups and a variety of different restaurants, but that is my personal preference. What is important to you? Let me know and I can tell you some more about each area.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
All boat owners, past and present know the truth... a boat is a hole in the water where you throw your money. LOL Somehow we still LOVE our boats. There's NOTHING like sitting at the helm with a steady breeze on a close reach with a course plotted to some exciting destination.

i remember

not to mention

pricey