Where in the D.R. would you want to live in 15 years..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just to share a quick story. My husband's younger brother owns a nice house in Santo Domingo, I'm not sure what the section is called, it's above Independencia, nice residential area, several miles past [west] of the Presidente factory. They fell in love with a house up in El Millon, and put theirs up for sale at a hefty price. A sign went up. In one week, they had 3 people [Dominicans] fighting over the house, actually trying to outbid each other.

Our jaws dropped when we heard. We've been trying to sell my suegra's house in SD for several years. Much larger house, but in a commercial area, 2 businesses currently running out of it, so those interested are commercial investors. Must make a big difference.

The moral of the story is, I guess, that a nice house in SD that is in a desirable area is as good as gold. No one more surprised than we were.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Blah, blah.

I would venture that across any investment spectrum of 15 years, real estate will hold its own when compared to other investments.
It may not lead the pack, but it won't be last either. My guess?? Solidly in the upper 25% quartile.

Passive investments like land are how fortunes have been made ............. provided the necessary patience is present.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement.

But your statement isn't contributing to this conversation.

Look, if we can agree that oil is a good investment, would you put your life savings in my new oil startup?
No.
Just because the sector is hot, doesn't mean one company in a sector is hot.

In other words, let's just use your logic, if real estate is always a good winner, why should he invest in DR and not in say Detroit or Miami? He can be in the upper 25% quartile as you say, in his own currency, in his own country. Then he can sell in 15 years and move down here.

Why should he invest in DR real estate NOW?

PS - blah blah blah yourself.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
A large percentage of smart Americans have lost their shirts and more in their 401K's being managed by professional money managers. I haven't made a fortune in real estate but I have sold one property in the DR for 4 times what I paid for it, and we have a number of other plots that we can do the same with. I have done reasonably well in Canada doing the same. Dispite what YOU think,there are many Dominicans with lots of money. Like with anywhere, location, location, location combined with proper development can give you great financial gains. What do you do for a living Kimbjorkland, besides spend your husband's earnings?

I'm amused how you ignore the fact that the largest financial collapse in America came from real estate investments....

It's great that you made money doing real estate in DR and Canada, but would you have been able to achieve your success in DR if you lived in Canada and vice versa? You were here, you knew what you were getting into, and you had visibility on how the areas where going. Could you have done that from Canada in a 15 year vision? 15 years ago, I'm told JFK Km 9 was a 'quiet suburb'...

Finally, you don't have to be jealous of my husband, he's a nice guy.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Hey everyone,

I bought yahoo stock in 2002, and sold it in 2006. I made 15X in 4 years. Those online software companies are great.
Let's all go and buy online software companies and hold their stock for 5 years. Or not.

In other words, just because New York gave a return, or So and so got a return in DR, doesn't mean ALL real estate gives a return. If you think it does, you haven't been watching the news for the past 4 years, or ever heard of the concept of negative equity.

To tell someone new to this board, that they should buy now in DR for a 15 year investment because it will definitely go up in value - is illogical.

You can take all your personal pot shots that you want, but at the end of the day, your own 'advice' can be used against you.

ie. why should he buy in New York vs. Canada vs. DR?

Can anybody in Santo Domingo today predict where the city limits of Santo Domingo will grow to in 15 years?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I'm amused how you ignore the fact that the largest financial collapse in America came from real estate investments....

It's great that you made money doing real estate in DR and Canada, but would you have been able to achieve your success in DR if you lived in Canada and vice versa? You were here, you knew what you were getting into, and you had visibility on how the areas where going. Could you have done that from Canada in a 15 year vision? 15 years ago, I'm told JFK Km 9 was a 'quiet suburb'...

I'm still waiting for the two Dominican Republic' capital's picture!!!

What's the hold up?

Or was it just blah, blah, blah... as usual?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Those who don't study history are bound to repeat it.

Note, this is Sao Paolo's skyline right now:

favela-morumbi-sao-paulo_thumb.jpg

This is Caracas right now:

media-0998-caracas-slum1_0.jpg

There are in fact 2 Brazils, and 2 Venezuelas. The country for the rich, with high rises, maids, over and underpasses, and metros. Then the country for the poor - ie. basically 80% of the country.

The poor don't use birth control, don't get any real education, and they live as close as possible to the mega cities where the money is.

Where will DR be in the next 15 years? Considering how many construction projects are financed or executed by Venezuelan and Brazilian money and companies, is there any wonder that this country is headed to where those countries have already reached?

There are already two DR's, one where lunch costs $RD 1000 pesos, the other where it costs $RD pesos.

To answer your question more succingtly. In 15 years, a lot can happen. An area that's 'secure' today may end up a barrio, or may end up 'in moda'. Even in a place like Punta Cana, there are 2 punta cana's, and you can't ever tell which side your investment will fall on in 15 years.

For this reason, it's probably best not to speculate. Invest in something else, then when it comes time to buy in 15 years for retirement, analyze the build vs. buy vs. rent debate at that time.
What type of nonsense is this?

What you see there are two countries that were once on the right path of development and then, sort of fell off a cliff.

Brazil is back on track, has had one of the largest GROWTH of its middle class and DECREASE of its poor during the last decade. You should look into that.

And Venezuela is, well, ask Mi Comandante how its going down there. For goodness sakes, the DR now figures at the FIFTH most popular destination for VENEZUELAN EMIGRATING to greener pastures. Hmm, wonder why... And yes, look into that too.

As long as the DR continues to grow economically at the accelerate pace it has been doing since the early to mid-1990s, and the necessary tweaks are made to the system to ensure further sustain growth and development; we have not much to worry that any of those scenarios will be repeated here.

If there is an analogy that could be made out of the Sao Paulo photo and that can relate to the DR is that Sao Paulo has been flooded with poor Brazilians from the northern states. It is sort of equivalent to the illegal Haitian immigration problem. The exception being that Brazil can't really do anything about the uncontrolled migration flow since it is contained within Brazilians and Brazil whereas the DR can do something about controlling the illegal Haitian immigration flow by virtue of securing the border and putting in place an effective deportation scheme.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
yes and if you bought in Sao Paolo 15 years ago, expecting that the northern edge of the city to be a new development, and only to have it over run with the favella, where would you sit today?

Thanks for bringing in a more relevant example. Santiago has regions over run by Haitians right?
Who would have guessed that 15 years ago?

Do you really have a 15 year visibility of what region will be en moda in the DR?

15 years ago, JFK + Luperon was the 'city limits'. Now it's not.

If looking to buy a place to retire in 15 years, why not wait a while until it's clear that where you're going to buy is not going to be over run by haitians or turn into a barrio?

Why buy now and live there in 15 years?

Got that NAL'S? it's THAT type of nonsense :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
yes and if you bought in Sao Paolo 15 years ago, expecting that the northern edge of the city to be a new development, and only to have it over run with the favella, where would you sit today?

Thanks for bringing in a more relevant example. Santiago has regions over run by Haitians right?
Who would have guessed that 15 years ago?

Do you really have a 15 year visibility of what region will be en moda in the DR?

15 years ago, JFK + Luperon was the 'city limits'. Now it's not.

If looking to buy a place to retire in 15 years, why not wait a while until it's clear that where you're going to buy is not going to be over run by haitians or turn into a barrio?

Why buy now and live there in 15 years?

Got that NAL'S? it's THAT type of nonsense :)
That's why you don't buy near government land, since those are the areas typically invaded and remain invaded, later turns to slums, etc. Despite that, being near a barrio doesn't really affects property values that much. But you knew that, right?

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
yah that's why there's no barrios in los cacicazgos? or you're saying the houses in sao paolo next to the favellas are worth just as much as those in the downtown core?

oh or are you saying to properly make an investment, someone should be here, know the place, understand the dynamics, get a feel for the visibility of the market, whether it's a barrio caliente etc.

Thanks for agreeing with me, that buying blindly from afar now and waiting 15 years makes no sense.

have a nice night.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
yah that's why there's no barrios in los cacicazgos? or you're saying the houses in sao paolo next to the favellas are worth just as much as those in the downtown core?

oh or are you saying to properly make an investment, someone should be here, know the place, understand the dynamics, get a feel for the visibility of the market, whether it's a barrio caliente etc.

Thanks for agreeing with me, that buying blindly from afar now and waiting 15 years makes no sense.

have a nice night.

I'm still waiting...

Or is it just blah, blah, blah as usual?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not disagreeing with your statement.

But your statement isn't contributing to this conversation.

Look, if we can agree that oil is a good investment, would you put your life savings in my new oil startup?
No.
Just because the sector is hot, doesn't mean one company in a sector is hot.

In other words, let's just use your logic, if real estate is always a good winner, why should he invest in DR and not in say Detroit or Miami? He can be in the upper 25% quartile as you say, in his own currency, in his own country. Then he can sell in 15 years and move down here.

Why should he invest in DR real estate NOW?

PS - blah blah blah yourself.

He wants to invest in RD. Thats why we're talking. If he has the money and time... 15 yrs will yield a profit.
Detroit will too

Just answering a question, as Blah as it may be.

If you read , you will be equipped to participate

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Actually it's your husband I was feeling sorry for. I don't think anyone is recommending buying a blind pig. Being an informed investor without letting the glitter of gold go to your head is critical to not losing your shirt.
I wasn't living in the DR in 1999 and I'm not living there yet. Had to pay for university for those kids of mine. My first wife was a member of mensa and walked that fine line between genius and insantity for quite a few years. I'd take a less intelligent mate any day over the stress of being married to a highly intelligent creative genius. Thankfully my children have her creativity and my stableness.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
So you're insulting my intelligence by calling me intelligent?
Pearls before swine. I guess that's why you downgraded.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So you're insulting my intelligence by calling me intelligent?
Pearls before swine. I guess that's why you downgraded.

Did I call you intelligent, I don't think so. My first wife is deceased so downgraded would hardly be the word to use. My Dominican wife is very intelligent and educated. She is compassionate as well, a virtue you don't seem to have.

DIESEL1

Dec 29, 2008
Ok so the North Coast would definately suit your needs, How close to the beach do you want to be and how important is being close to shopping and real super markets, hospitals etc.... ????
Not necessarily on the beach, but close. Good healthcare is important.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The health care issue will point you Sos/Cabar or Cabrera/Rio san Juan or Nagua.
No beaches directly in Cabarera, or within walking distance.

Others will fill you in on the health care +/-'s of these areas

Not necessarily on the beach, but close. Good healthcare is important.

If I were you I would take time out to visit Puerto Plata and the towns of Sosua, Caberette Gaspar Hernandez,Rio SanJuan,and Cabrera. They are all near beaches and all of them have their own plusses and minuses, You are also within 90 mins at most from Santiago and all Santiago has to offer.

DIESEL1

Dec 29, 2008
If I can also make a suggestion to all you real estate moguls of DR1, The OP is just looking for a decent place to live, not to flip his investment into a 10x profit, He is looking for quality of life, lets get back on topic.

Right on!!