where to buy "topas" (toilet seats) in Santo Domingo or Samana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
our source in Las Terrenas is only Aquinox. Both stores have only 1 toilet seat model available and it's too large. Where can we buy in Santo Domingo where they might have a large variety?

Samana township or Nagua would be better but we are willing to drive to the capitol

what's the word in Spanish for a store that sells bathroom accessories, btw?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
It's a Tapa de Inodoro, not a Topa. Tapar means to cover up, so una Tapa de Inodoro is a toilet cover.

Any Ferreteria (hardware shop) will sell these. Just search for Ferreteria on Google Maps and your nearest one will come up. There are hundreds in Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Reactions: bob saunders

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
It's a Tapa de Inodoro, not a Topa. Tapar means to cover up, so una Tapa de Inodoro is a toilet cover.

Any Ferreteria (hardware shop) will sell these. Just search for Ferreteria on Google Maps and your nearest one will come up. There are hundreds in Santo Domingo and Santiago.
Tapa, not topa!

Got it, but get this: the 3 ferreterias in LT say they don't carry toilet seats, lol.

I have to go to a specialty store like this one that carries only 1 size for sale and won't order a different one for you
https://aquainox.net/#

So how do you call these types of stores in Spanish? A store that specializes in bathroom supplies/accessories?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Tapa, not topa!

Got it, but get this: the 3 ferreterias in LT say they don't carry toilet seats, lol.

I have to go to a specialty store like this one that carries only 1 size for sale and won't order a different one for you
https://aquainox.net/#

So how do you call these types of stores in Spanish? A store that specializes in bathroom supplies/accessories?

The ferreterías in Las Terrenas are not like the ones in Santo Domingo or Santiago. Almacenes Unidos will definitely have toilet seats. So will Ferretería Cuesta and Ferretería Ochoa.

I did a quick web search and quite a few come up.

Reactions: 2020

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
writing all these down...guess I'll drive 2 hours each way and hit the 5-6 hardware stores to find a stupid toilet seat - argghhh

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
This is actually what my family produces in Denmark and looking on Amazon I can see their seats Pressalit are available. Could you buy a seat on Amazon and get it delivered at Jetpack or Mailbox or something like that.

Reactions: MariaRubia

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
writing all these down...guess I'll drive 2 hours each way and hit the 5-6 hardware stores to find a stupid toilet seat - argghhh

Why don't you just whatsapp them? All of these places now use Whatsapp for business, there will be a number on their website or Facebook page, you can then whatsapp and show them a photo of what you are looking for, they will tell you if they have availability and send you costs. Sometimes they take a few mins to reply to each message, but it's infinitely faster than driving from A to B to C. I often have to buy complicated things in the DR and my approach is always to use the internet to identify companies that might sell, then call them or better whatsapp, get prices and photos, and only when I know they have what I want and they have put one aside for me do I get in the car and go there. I've saved hours and hours of time in traffic jams doing this.

Reactions: 2020

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
This is actually what my family produces in Denmark and looking on Amazon I can see their seats Pressalit are available. Could you buy a seat on Amazon and get it delivered at Jetpack or Mailbox or something like that.

This is also a great idea. If Amazon sells it, it doesn't weigh too much and it's under $200, it's almost always better quality than you'd get in DR and much easier if you can wait about a week to get it delivered to you.

Reactions: windeguy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To avoid the drive, have it shipped from SD or STI if you can decide on the right one.

Another idea is to ship yours to them, and they ship the new one back to you

Caribe Tours is a cheap courier

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Great Pressalit website! Sadly the toilet manufacturer that the builder used here when he built our home in the DR is "Jasee." It is not listed on Pressalit. Apparently, I was blessed with an obscure Chinese brand.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Why don't you just whatsapp them? All of these places now use Whatsapp for business, there will be a number on their website or Facebook page, you can then whatsapp and show them a photo of what you are looking for, they will tell you if they have availability and send you costs. Sometimes they take a few mins to reply to each message, but it's infinitely faster than driving from A to B to C. I often have to buy complicated things in the DR and my approach is always to use the internet to identify companies that might sell, then call them or better whatsapp, get prices and photos, and only when I know they have what I want and they have put one aside for me do I get in the car and go there. I've saved hours and hours of time in traffic jams doing this.
I'll try WhatsApp and see how it goes

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A thread about toilet seats. What next a thread about where to find light switches.
Just hire a guy who gets high on the smell of a hardware store - they will be back with what you need before you are ready for rice and beans

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
A thread about toilet seats. What next a thread about where to find light switches.
Just hire a guy who gets high on the smell of a hardware store - they will be back with what you need before you are ready for rice and beans

I understand some things are difficult to source locally here and I might be terribly wrong here, but Las Terrenas being tourist destination and all, there is nothing locally or nearby? My mother-in-law lives in a campo and there are definitely stores for this very near... They are not Ochoa or other brand name ferreterias but locally owned businesses... if they have no such thing, they should be able to find one...

In POP, you can get one from La Sirena or any hardware store, but granted, if you need a special one, it might not fit... I hope the OP does not need to waste all that time and gas just for a toilet seat...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Welcome to the DR where many forgo the seat entirely after the first one breaks.

Those who want a new one will get the cheap Chinese crapper replacement one.

Status
Not open for further replies.