where to get a proper fridge?

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
From consumer reports

Actually NO cold air is transferred to the refrigerator side from the freezer. It would be too hard to regulate.

But your idea of cold ?sinks? is true. That is why the bottom freezer is slightly more efficient. When you open it, the ?cold? does not pour on the floor; it just stays in the drawer. So, there is less ?substituted? air to be re-cooled and dehumidified.

The only drawback is that these refrigerators come only in the large size.

The most efficient (non-solar) are smaller, freezer above with two (2) heat pumps.

Solar refrigerator/freezers are the most efficient as they are smaller again, serious insulation and DC motor(s).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Actually NO cold air is transferred to the refrigerator side from the freezer. It would be too hard to regulate.

But your idea of cold ?sinks? is true. That is why the bottom freezer is slightly more efficient. When you open it, the ?cold? does not pour on the floor; it just stays in the drawer. So, there is less ?substituted? air to be re-cooled and dehumidified.
But that would mean the compressor works more to keep the non-frozen section cold.

Two compressor systems (Like Sub Zero, my faves) are nore efficient, but MUCH more costly.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You make a case for freezers with drawers, rather than doors.
As CB so accurately pointed out, the fridges of nowadays are so insulated and efficient, that it matters little if the freezer is up or down, whereas in older times, the only cooling section of the refrigerator, was in the freezer, mounted in the upper part of the cabinet, and the rest of the fridge was cooled by the cool air that naturally "fell" downwards.
Had the freezer section been mounted at the bottom, foods on the upper shelves would have gone bad.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would think the two main places to go shopping for a refrigerator would be:

Plaza Lama sells: LG, Mabe, Frigidaire brands, among others. LG is the most energy efficient. They have the freezer in the bottom model in the larger LG refrigerator, that has two doors.

Corripio sells: Samsung and Whirlpool, Nedoca. Samsung is most energy efficient.

I have an Amana freezer in the bottom refrigerator. Bought at Salco, which is at Max Henriquez Urena, right in front of the American Airlines office. Don't know if they have any more. At the time, they were the only to have the bottom freezer model. The Amana has been a good refrigerator, but the energy efficiencies of both LG and Samsung brands are very attractive.

Have tried several models of refrigerator, and I like this best. But if I were to change it -- and given the space that I have -- I would buy a large LG with freezer on the bottom and two refrigerator doors.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The extra you spend on your fridge here, you save on your central heating bill.
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
you may have a point but...
what is spend on heating in poland is easily what people here spend on cooling (air con and fans).

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Missing this point

But that would mean the compressor works more to keep the non-frozen section cold.

All current refrigerators have the freezer separate and distinct from the refrigerator. One side or the other can be cooled or both at once. You can think of it like whole house AC with baffles in each room or ?zone?.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I would think the two main places to go shopping for a refrigerator would be:

Plaza Lama sells: LG, Mabe, Frigidaire brands, among others. LG is the most energy efficient. They have the freezer in the bottom model in the larger LG refrigerator, that has two doors.

Corripio sells: Samsung and Whirlpool, Nedoca. Samsung is most energy efficient.

I have an Amana freezer in the bottom refrigerator. Bought at Salco, which is at Max Henriquez Urena, right in front of the American Airlines office. Don't know if they have any more. At the time, they were the only to have the bottom freezer model. The Amana has been a good refrigerator, but the energy efficiencies of both LG and Samsung brands are very attractive.

Have tried several models of refrigerator, and I like this best. But if I were to change it -- and given the space that I have -- I would buy a large LG with freezer on the bottom and two refrigerator doors.

Corripio sells LG and Frigidaire too, at least in their Higuey store

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I can hear it now... "Mom, there's a taxi out front with a refridgerator in the trunk!"
Better than delivered on a bicycle, I suppose...

hgj388x512.jpg

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
DV8 I saw a side by side in Silvero Messon yesteray. They only had 1......... not as good as the "upside down" one you want but it was nice.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In my experience, a side by side is the worst kind of refrigerator. Nothing fits in the refrigerator side. I would only recommend it if it were for a small family unit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo saw one in corripio in POP - samsung, freezer down and fridge up, but fridge had double door. size of a medium wardrobe - 90k pesos. darn. if i wanted to pay that much for a fridge i'd get myself SMEG - it costs few thousand dollars in europe so probably 50% more in here. plus, it was way too big for the two of us. i plan to spend about 50k, it that doable?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
OK, let's review. You have moved to a 3rd world country with a totally new language and culture, but can't seem to bear the thought of having to adjust to a fridge with the freezer above instead of below, and apparently are willing to pay a huge premium in price to get one?

Sometimes you gotta pick your battles. You may find that extra money will come in handy at the gas pump or the grocery store!;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
doh.

OK, let's review. You have moved to a 3rd world country with a totally new language and culture, but can't seem to bear the thought of having to adjust to a fridge with the freezer above instead of below, and apparently are willing to pay a huge premium in price to get one?

Sometimes you gotta pick your battles. You may find that extra money will come in handy at the gas pump or the grocery store!;)

this is a battle where i don't want to bend, it ain't a bottle of coke, it's a piece of furniture i'll be stuck with for years. AND IT'S GONNA BE MY WAY.:pirate:
one can still live in a 3rd world country and do so in comfort without strikes of conscience - i work for my money and if i do so can others.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
happy ending

after many pains we finally got the fridge i wanted!

(in the meantime it turned out old fridge was badly connected to the inversor and blackouts killed it completely. they almost killed me too - eating the food that was constantly getting defrosted gave me bunch of bacterias and knocked me down for few days)

anyways, fridge, it's AMANA, brand new and we paid 40k pesos. i am happy.

thank you to everyone who gave us advice, miesposo went to check out numerous stores :bunny:

S

sokitoumi

ive never seen one like that in europe- have you tried turning a regular one upside down
oh you got one

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
All right this is why it was invented.

As a rule you open the fridge more often than the freezer. Why bend over 10 times a day to get something out of the fridge especially veggies from the bottom shelf and once a day to get something from the freezer. Hello. LOL This is SO funny.