Where to go to unlock iphone

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Help...Does anyone know where in the Capital we can go and get the Iphone 4S unlocked?? Thanks much

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Last I checked (about a month ago) 4S could not be unlocked. It can be jailbroken (ability to use off market apps etc. but not unlocked to change carriers) The I phone 4 can be unlocked

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
I'm using GEVEY for mine, are there other options?

I have a 4s now , had a 4 (lost it in taxi in NYC) and I had tried a software unlock that was unsuccessful... I believe that now there are several software unlocks for the 4 but not the 4s. But like I said when i had a 4 it was hit and miss on the software unlock. I just gave up and I use the 4s in the states and a blackberry when I travel to DR or other countries.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
My brother wants to use his AT&T upgrade to get the iphone 4S for my son as a gift. You can ask the AT&T store not to activate it or anything (I have done this) the only thing is that you renew your contract for another 2 years which is no problem. My brother likes the phone he has now so he does not want to use the upgrade to get a new phone for himself. Problem is I told my brother I am not sure if you can unlock the iphone 4S from here. I searched all the old threads but did not get a exact answer. Friends here are telling me to have my brother find a place where he lives (US) and have them unlock the phone. Supposedly this can be done. I would hate to have him try and unlock the phone in the US and then bring it here and it won't work. I was just wondering if there was someplace that someone new of that does it. Some many tech savvy people here on DR1 I figured someone may know.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010

As of the end of March 2012 it was fiction. There are tons of those sites claiming to unlock. I have actually purchased and thankfully the site was halfway legit and I got refunded. Below is a summary of the back and forth . I copied and pasted but edited out my name and email. The trail of events is backwards as you read.

Hi there, I have returned your money, unfortunately apple have patched our 4s solution.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM, *****@yahoo <*****@yahoo.com> wrote:

Looking to change carriers

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:27 PM, Support - <support@iphoneunlockeasily.com> wrote:

Hi There,

Are you looking to change carriers/sim cards or jailbreak to get free apps?

Thanks

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM, ***** *****<****@yahoo.com> wrote:
Subject: [your-subject]

Purchased this software yesterday User Name: ******** . I am unhappy with this product and would like to utilize the money back guarantee. I was unable to unlock my I phone 4s . Please refund my full price to my amex charge card.

Regards,

--
Best regards,

iPhoneUnlockEasily Support Team

--
Best regards,

iPhoneUnlockEasily Support Team

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
The iPhone 4s is a GMS capable phone. It can (will) be unlocked by your US carrier upon request if your account is in good standing. After your carrier has unlocked the 4s all you have to do is insert a sim chip of the foreign local carrier when you are connected to wi-fi and the unlock is completed. This was done for me at the main Orange store in Coral Mall in SD with two iPhone 4s's and both work fine with the Orange sim.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Just a follow-up...My son unlocked his iphone 4s my brother brought him at a place in San Francisco de Macoris for $45.00. We were visiting the in-laws for the day and he found a place. Works great.

May 20, 2012
I know there are different types of unlocks too. There is an unlock that's good only until you update your iPhone software, and then it becomes locked again. There is also a "factory unlock" that is much better as it will not become undone. Be sure you know which one you have so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.

May 20, 2012
The iPhone 4s is a GMS capable phone. It can (will) be unlocked by your US carrier upon request if your account is in good standing. After your carrier has unlocked the 4s all you have to do is insert a sim chip of the foreign local carrier when you are connected to wi-fi and the unlock is completed. This was done for me at the main Orange store in Coral Mall in SD with two iPhone 4s's and both work fine with the Orange sim.
Are you using with a data plan on Orange? If so, does this require a contract plan?

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011

I have been tempted to do this, but I like the safety factor of carrying a cheap pay as you go phone from Orange. I'm afraid if I carry around the iPhone 4 everywhere and use it on the street, I could become a target. Plus I take carro publico to and from work and I worry it will slip out of my pocket or be picked by someone sitting next to me. I do take the iPhone when I go to places with wifi but for now I feel life may be easier without it.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
IT all depends on the baseband version your i-phone has and whether it is a GSM model (AT&T) or CDMA model (Sprint and Verizon). You can use the Gevey unlock, which is basically a little chip that fits on your sim card slot GEVEY.

Here's an excerpt from the Iphone forum at XDA.com. Note that if you have a CDMA phone the Gevey sim will unlock it and supposedly everything works, but no SMS/MMS.

I see a lot of people confused and giving the wrong information about gevey sims lately.
I see constantly, "My iPhone 4 is on 5.1.1 and baseband 4.12 how do I unlock?"
I see replies like this "No software unlock but gevey will work or factory unlock"
I'm all for factory unlocks, if they work, haven't tried them personally, but they seem legit.

On this date(08/08/2012), gevey sim supports these modem firmwares(basebands.)

GSM iPhone 4
1.59.00-*(If you have this baseband I suggest using ultrasn0w in cydia after jailbreak, it's FREE
biggrin.png
)

GSM iPhone 4S

CDMA iPhone 4
There are no unlocks available to turn a CDMA iPhone 4 into a GSM compatible iPhone, because there is no sim card slot.

CDMA iPhone 4S
*- As you can see, baseband 2.0.10 is not supported on CDMA iPhone 4S gevey sim unlock currently(08/08/2012), 2.0.10 is on firmware 5.1, so if you have this baseband simply update to 5.1.1

*-iPhone 3G/3GS have software unlocks which are more reliable in my opinion, so their gevey unlocks are not listed here.

Bottom line is if you're not technically inclined you're better off just taking it to some of the unlocking places they have all over in The DR.

Last edited:

Thinkus

Sep 8, 2011
Go to the Jumbo plaza at Avenida Luperon and look for the Claro store, the guy there unlocked my iphone, he will unlock yours.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
The iphone was a 4S through AT&T in the US. He got the iphone unlocked in SFM and has a plan with Orange. The phone works ok, he has had problems on and off with it. We got my niece one at Orange and she has had nothing but trouble with the phone. The phone on two occasions stopped working. Twice she has brought in to be "repaired". The last time she was without the phone for over a week.

BeaverMan

Sep 12, 2012
Connect your phone to iTunes, do a backup and update to latest firmware. Then Goto eBay and search iPhone factory unlock, I used unlock fusion but there are many vendors. Cost is around 20 usd and you provide the imei of your phone to the vendor. Takes 12-24hrs and your phone is factory unlocked via the apple database. Quick and simple.

raymondemoreno1

Oct 6, 2012
I know there are different types of unlocks too. There is an unlock that's good only until you update your iPhone software, and then it becomes locked again. There is also a "factory unlock" that is much better as it will not become undone. Be sure you know which one you have so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.

raymond here. helo freind can you tell me the easy way to unlock iphone. when i try to do this it occurred an error.