Where would you live if you had your time over again?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I want somewhere with no tourists, no expats and no politicians. Too much to ask?

Mat

You could come out to Najayo or Palenque with us.... but no 24/7 electric. More like 'no electric'. Almost no tourists, expats or politicians. But you'd have US! :cheeky: Santo Domingo is 45 minutes away tho, so God help us if we need urgent medical care. San Cristobal isn't that far, La Sirena has everything there.

AE

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I dont think there is anywhere better in DR than Santo Domingo. I live in Bella Vista and I like the area. It has everything I need. I am keeping an eye on Punta Cana for the future. Some years back I enjoyed going to any beach area. Now I am more keen on the mountain areas and places like Jarabacoa. But dont think I could live there. For a visit I think it is nice.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I don't care much about Jarabacoa in the weekends, too much traffic in town then, a lot of lesser friendly people also, on the road and especially in the supermarkets (they are all in a hurry to do their shopping and it can't go quick enough for some to get out of there to go to their house in the mountains :tired:), beggers come up from La Vega where you don't see them in the week and pick pockers aswell I suppose although I must say, I never had problems with that but then again, we don't visit the town in the weekend much.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The problem with Jarabacoa as I see it, and I only visited once for a week, is that it does get invaded at weekends by politicos and others. Our esteemed Senator from San Pedro has his house there, with his wife the Minister for Women, Alejandrina German, and also loads of tourists go there too. I want somewhere with no tourists, no expats and no politicians. Too much to ask?

Mat

The island is full of places like that. Unfortunately in the campo areas power is intermittent at best and the health care won't be best. Then too the supermarkets are always lacking. They won't have good cheese (unless you like queso jeo) nor bread, etc., etc. etc. and never have the condiments you need to prepare the stuff you had back home. Also, in my travels it seems many smaller towns inevitable are dirty because of inconsistent trash collection.

Maybe you could consider living in the campo 20 or so minutes from a large town.

Best of luck.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Feel rather fortunate that the place we decided to settle in the DR has everything we could ever have wanted.... lovely friendly locals, trustworthy people, beautiful countryside, space for our much loved animals so don't really want to go anywhere else but, unfortunately, might have to now.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If schooling hadn't been a primary consideration, we would have loved to live in Las Galeras.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Yes, if work wasn't a consideration, I have often thought Las Galeras would be a nice place to while away my hours.

Although I don't know it very well, Cabrera also appeals to me. It always seems very clean and well cared for, although it is a fair drive from the airport etc.

I definitely prefer the north coast or the mountains, not too keen on the south, although some of the scenery driving down is lovely.

Your home is really beautiful, Whirleybird, it would be very sad if you do have to leave....

May 29, 2006
I hear a lot of the Dominican baseball players build up near Mao/Jarabacoa. I'm thinking they must know something about where to live.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
santiago or santo domingo only. i am a city girl and campo towns like puerto plata, not to mention anything smaller, are just not for me.
i want to somewhere where neighbours do not say hello to each other, hell, where they do not know each other at all! somewhere with shops and restaurants. somewhere where i could pick up fencing again and maybe do something fun like archery. somewhere with less pssssts. some area with houses surrounded by high walls so no one can look in. i do not care much for the beach but pool would be nice. and a garden, i'd trade square meters of construction for square meters of grass. somewhere close to the airport so i can get out of DR easily.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
DV8

I agree, I would like a place in the DR where I don't have to deal with Dominicans.

In our building the neighbors are a Venezuelan family who now live in Miami, and an old lady who has sons in New York. They are never there. If we make the move permanently I like where I am in Santo Domingo. A nice building close to everything but with privacy and no typical Dominican neighbors.

The Campo and the beach are nice for vacations but long term I would probably turn into a drunk.

Reactions: waytogo

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
DV8

I agree, I would like a place in the DR where I don't have to deal with Dominicans.

In our building the neighbors are a Venezuelan family who now live in Miami, and an old lady who has sons in New York. They are never there. If we make the move permanently I like where I am in Santo Domingo. A nice building close to everything but with privacy and no typical Dominican neighbors.

The Campo and the beach are nice for vacations but long term I would probably turn into a drunk.

if you don't like to live near Dominican People,
what the heck you are looking for in the Dominican Republic??
Mike

Reactions: DRob

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
DV8

Queseto? That's like me saying I want to live in a place inside USA where I don't have to deal with Americans.... If that's the case I should be deported.

Reactions: AlterEgo

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Matilda: I think something right outside La Vega or maybe somewhere outside Bonao may be a nice fit. There are plenty of small towns (no tourists at all) along or pretty close to the main highway. Nice mountains all around and Santiago would only be about 15 - 20 minutes, Santo Domingo would be less than an hour. Largest lake in the Caribbean (Hatillo Dam) also about 15 minutes away (very nice specially if you have a boat) . Jarabacoa and Constanza also pretty close.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
No quotes were changed in this thread -only changed them to the correct names and added brackets at the end so they actually appeared as quotes - iF i missed any or changed to the wrong name please let me know - I understand someone isnt happy.

I dont know if anyone noticed but most of the quotes had the wrong names on them

One was quoting one person as saying what two people had said if you undertstand what I mean

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
You would have to know magic.....

DV8

I still can't believe that statement........:ermm::ermm:

Reactions: MikeFisher

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
its cooler and its got rivers and lakes nearby, and not too far from the coast

Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ruJepviWWog/TEzywh5mmrI/AAAAAAAAH8s/0D0o_qXVykE/s1600/DSC00757.JPG

oops long web address lol
And rice plantations too... Have you been there after six in the evening playing with the mosquito ???

My choice is Estancia Nueva Moca, where my family ancestors are from, if you take a look in this area will notice that is one of the very few places in DR where the people and homes looks alike American or European style and it is 15 minutes from STI airport, 20 from Santiago, 5 from Moca and 45 from Caberete.

JJ

Last edited: