Where's DR heading to?......Act, II

B

batich

I can only do it by examples.
Let's say you like cruising around on a motorbike with the wind blowing through your hair, then a helmet law is forced on you.
I know a lot of people would argue that it would be safer, and although I don't agree, the fact remains you're being forced to do it, and you lose some of that foot loose fancy free feeling.
Same goes for bringing your dog to the beach.
As towns grow and beach dogs might become a problem. laws are made to restrain or prohibit them.
But if you're the dude with a real kool Labrador that plays with everyone, and they all like him, now you and the folks who enjoyed the dog, no longer can.
As we grow and evolve, so do the criminals, so now when you go out really late at night or early in the AM, you risk being pulled over and harassed by the cops.
I know we need to control the criminals, but once more, we lose a bit of freedom.
It's the same throughout the world.
As terrorism has increased, flying has become a pain in the arse, whereas it used to be a thrill.
At one time, if you wanted to have a bonfire party on the beach, you'd just go ahead and do it.
But as time goes on and a few fools did foolish things at bonfire parties, now they are more restricted.
When I moved to Sosua, you would see people riding horses through town everyday.
Now, you'd be run over, if it's even permitted anymore.
Running to the airport used to be an 8 minute venture.
Now with all the cars & traffic, it could take you double that.
One could park anywhere at the airport before, now you risk getting towed away.
Soon, we will no longer be allowed to put passengers or animals in the back of a pick up truck. I know it can be unsafe, but for those of us who are not fools and are careful about it, we will lose another freedom.
Everyday, new laws are made and enforced.
I know they are necessary to control indecent people, but what about the decent people who comport themselves properly?
They get restrictions imposed on them.
Any middle aged or older person, can tell you that he/she had more freedom when he/she was younger, and the same applies here.
We "progress" into a more restricted world.
All these laws and restrictions are made to control indecent people, but the decent people get restricted as well.
I'm not suggesting I have a solution for the problem.
All I'm saying is that one should be careful what they wish for.
As we modernize, we lose some basic freedoms.
A good part of the attraction of this country, over our homelands, is/was all the freedom.
Bit by bit it disappears.

Beautiful post, Rocky!
Almost like your restaurante.
Right on the money.

Freedom and girls - these are two only things why to live in DR. If these two things are not vitally important for you - better stay in Florida. Everything else is better and cheaper in FL.

But if DR follows steps of its Northen big neighbour and becomes a police state too it loses this advantage and a fair number of people willing to live in it. Including myself.

And in police state laws are not created to protect somebody but for two other reasons only: 1.To keep everybody in strict political control and to have a negative file against every one. Por si acaso. and 2. To create a good revenue and income to lawyers, police, big companies (insurance !!) and to government.

With so many laws in existance like in US one cannot understand them without an expensive help of lawyers and no matter how much you try to be law obeying every day you violate a lot of them without knowing it , it is on file and when necessary can be used against you. You are on hook permanently.

And of course MONEY!!

The worst nightmare for a police state is population that obeys all laws. How to get those millions of dollars without fines, confiscation of property other payments?

Night mare!!

For this reason you`d better not leave your house the last week of the month when police must fill its quota for fines.

And an interesting thing regarding moto helmets.
I know a rich foreigner from Asia who came to this country with a plan to bribe government into making a law on using helmets so that to become a monopolistic seller.
But recently he himself was defrauded by a big RE agent in Sosua and left DR calling the country " the worst and dirtiest scrap-heap in the World".

Funny!!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Rocky's View

...I know we need to control the criminals, but once more, we lose a bit of freedom.

Well, up to now I 've been thinking that it's better criminals lose their freedom than I lose my life.

Will have to look at things differently...

Less control of the baddies, freedom at last. :lick:

m'frog