Where's the Bohemia?

Aug 6, 2006
Presidente seems to be very successful to many Dominicans.
I was sipping on a Bohemia in Barahona and the GF's teenage daughter took a look at the label and exclaimed: "? te enga?aron!".

LIke it was worse than seeing someone drinking Ho Jo or Red Lion Cola in the US.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Presidente seems to be very successful to many Dominicans.
I was sipping on a Bohemia in Barahona and the GF's teenage daughter took a look at the label and exclaimed: "? te enga?aron!".

LIke it was worse than seeing someone drinking Ho Jo or Red Lion Cola in the US.

I like Bohenia, dislike Presidente but there is one drink that goes beyond description as to why it is sold unless it can be used for enemas or poisoning garden pests and that is that barf-flavored sickening syrup Malta.

Seriously is there anyone from outside the DR or PR that drinks that crap :p. It might be OK if you are trying to get the taste of a sh*t-sandwich out of your mouth, which maybe why so many hookers drink it.
Hold you're hand up if your a Malta drinker - and I'll give you a tic tac.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I like Bohenia, dislike Presidente but there is one drink that goes beyond description as to why it is sold unless it can be used for enemas or poisoning garden pests and that is that barf-flavored sickening syrup Malta.

Seriously is there anyone from outside the DR or PR that drinks that crap :p. It might be OK if you are trying to get the taste of a sh*t-sandwich out of your mouth, which maybe why so many hookers drink it.
Hold you're hand up if your a Malta drinker - and I'll give you a tic tac.

[video=youtube;VfiPubrhhJg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfiPubrhhJg[/video]

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I prefer Bohemia and most foreigners I know also prefer Bohemia.

All Dominicans I know prefer, and prefer heavily to drink Presidente. As Xavier mentioned, if you are drinking Bohemia it's seen as if you're wearing Pro-Keds and not the newest Nike shoes ...

Aug 6, 2006
Quesqueya is better than Presidente as well. It tends to be somewhat unobtainable in Barahona.
Malta is an acquired taste that I have not been able to acquire. Still, I like it a lot better than anything with whisky in it or Gatorade.

For some reason, Clamato is far more beloved in the DR than in the US.

I always wonder what fraction of an innocent clam had to die to maker a can of Clamato possible. It isn't awful, but it would not surprise me to learn that only syntho-clams are now used in this stuff.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Quesqueya is better than Presidente as well. It tends to be somewhat unobtainable in Barahona.
Malta is an acquired taste that I have not been able to acquire. Still, I like it a lot better than anything with whisky in it or Gatorade.

Fro some reason, Clamato is far more beloved in the DR than in the US.

Sorry Xavier - Never trust a man who doesn't drink whiskey, and it givers women a sexy voice

Aug 6, 2006
I tend to trust myself.
It is a matter of taste. One of my grandfathers was a secret alcoholic, according to my Uncle Wyatt.

It is a matter of taste, not trust. To me, Scotch tastes like iodine. Cheap Scotch tastes like cheap iodine, expensive scotch tastes like expensive iodine. Bourbon tastes rather more like silage.
I have never known and whisky drinking women, but I have known several with sexy voices.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I tend to trust myself.
It is a matter of taste. One of my grandfathers was a secret alcoholic, according to my Uncle Wyatt.

It is a matter of taste, not trust. To me, Scotch tastes like iodine. Cheap Scotch tastes like cheap iodine, expensive scotch tastes like expensive iodine. Bourbon tastes rather more like silage.
I have never known and whisky drinking women, but I have known several with sexy voices.

I?ll stick to my rums.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

For some reason, Clamato is far more beloved in the DR than in the US.

I always wonder what fraction of an innocent clam had to die to maker a can of Clamato possible. It isn't awful, but it would not surprise me to learn that only syntho-clams are now used in this stuff.

I would rather drink the brown stuff bien dumped into the ocean on the Malecon before drinking Quesqueya. Worst "beer" I ever had on any continent.
Bohemia is a really decent beer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would say Brahma is much worse than Quesqueya. Coors and Brahma are among the worst beers ever made.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yes, here we go again with Bohemia, I had the last two bottles in one of the beach bars the other day and that was it, you can't find it anywhere, no bars or restaurants, not even in supermarkets. Though it is an interesting news by PP bar owner that received some large bottles this week, hope we get them here too.

Now here is my theories about Bohemia:

Bohemia is a far better beer in taste and quality, however, that is only true if it is drunk really cold, once it is not ice cold, it tastes terrible (specially goes very bitter). Now Dominicans try their best to drink beer cold, but in this heat any beer left for 5 minutes gets warm, specially large bottles that stay on the table longer - well, 5 minutes in their case. Now the tasteless Presidente, that to me tastes like water with added gas, basically taste the same if you drink it at room temperature, sort of watery gassy thingy. So IMHO that's why Dominicans drink Presidente and got used to it, hold it in your hand for 15min and it is still taste the same, a warm Bohemia is not nice to drink.

Now, the manufacturer (the same for both) keeps going through it's books and see both of these beers cost about the same to make but has to sell one cheaper than the other, why (inherited the price when they bought it) !? So what to do, well, try to discontinue the one that is not making as much money, if people stop drinking it and move on to Presidente (hence they stop delivering and see if Presidente sales increases), then Bohemia sales drop and the accountants can justify discontinuing it all together.

However, so far every time they deliver it again, people buy it so much that they can't stop it altogether. Other option could be they just re-introduce this beer, maybe with another name, with the same price of Presidente. I hope they go this route, I really won't complain if I can get my Bohemia... !

(This post sounds like dejavu, I am sure I wrote this once before... lol)

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Years ago, thirty or more, Presidente was a very good beer. It was brewed to the standards of a German brew master and it had to stand up under the delivery and storage conditions of the day. Horse and cart was quite common in 1985 and so on. There was a also a beer called Bohemia, It was pure ****. Only a non beer-drinker would gag it down. There was also Quisqueya which was harder to get but had a unique and pleasant bouquet. But that was all over twenty years ago.

Quisqueya became scarce, Bohemia improved. Then a few years ago your scribe woke up and realised that Bohemia was a good beer and Presidente had its problems. NOW Brahma becomes the Bohemia of yesteryear. (Got trapped for twenty four hours in an AI that served only Brahma -- drank a lot of Gin and Tonic in the afternoon, Rum and . . . in the evening.

Things change.

This too will pass

I am sipping Brugal Anjeo in Nova Scotia and consider myself lucky to be able to do so.

wbr

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i used brahma, bohemia and presidente too. all work. quisqueya is the best because it's the cheapest one.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Years ago, thirty or more, Presidente was a very good beer. It was brewed to the standards of a German brew master and it had to stand up under the delivery and storage conditions of the day. Horse and cart was quite common in 1985 and so on. There was a also a beer called Bohemia, It was pure ****. Only a non beer-drinker would gag it down. There was also Quisqueya which was harder to get but had a unique and pleasant bouquet. But that was all over twenty years ago.

Quisqueya became scarce, Bohemia improved. Then a few years ago your scribe woke up and realised that Bohemia was a good beer and Presidente had its problems. NOW Brahma becomes the Bohemia of yesteryear. (Got trapped for twenty four hours in an AI that served only Brahma -- drank a lot of Gin and Tonic in the afternoon, Rum and . . . in the evening.

Things change.

This too will pass

I am sipping Brugal Anjeo in Nova Scotia and consider myself lucky to be able to do so.

wbr

I'm not that far away from you in NL sitting back on my deck enjoying the unseasonably warm weather and enjoying my DR coffee laced with liqueur. I have one bottle of Barcelo left and sip it sparingly until I head down to the DR for the winter in January. After seven DR winters my beer taste changed from Presidente to Bohemia. The Bohemia is about as close as I can get to the taste of our local beers. Not perfect but very close. Presidente is served at the resort I stay at. As a member I have access to unlimited amounts of Bohemia. Thank the gods for small mercies!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I'm glad to hear that they are at least still brewing Bohemia, although we haven't seen any here in La Romana for over 3 months My personal experience is the opposite of a previous poster My friends and I have always felt Presidente is palitable enough when frosty cold, but as soon as the "vestido de novia" starts to melt, it's crap Not too bad if you are sharing grandes with friends, but doesn't work very well when enjoying a beer solo With Bohemia, I can take my time and not worry about having to dump the last few ounces because it's undrinkable (something I see Dominocans do A LOT with Presidente)

My observation is that Bohemia is indeed a victim of image conscious Dominicans who don't want to be seen as tacano because it is a bit cheaper than Presidente I would gladly pay the price for it if the reverse were true Hopefully it wull return to these parts soon I miss the stuff