Which laptop to buy?????

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Escott said:
Dawn just got a Dell with a P4, 60gig hd, 512 ram and a DVD Burner that I happen to be on until she returns my toshiba which I happen to have grown accustomed to but cant use because she HASNT RETURNED IT YET!!!!

I was growing quite fond of it also, and had decided to let you keep mine-- I would borrow it only when I needed to burn a DVD (thanks!), but then yesterday I noticed the smoke and heard some strange grinding noises...

well, needless to say, I just love my Dell. :)

PS If a certain person hadn't sent a certain power cord to NY with his daughter, a certain borroweree might have had the opportunity to transfer files as needed before a certain person's return from NY with the missing power cord.

The aforesaid for which Robert himself, grand poobah of DR1, can vouch. :)

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
My personal Recommendation.

It always depends what you use a laptop for, if your talking high end processor, your not talking battery life.

For the "portable" that is in the large laptop range, this would generally sit in one place but be easy to move or stow if you had to, look to HP.

AMD is nice, but you get tied to manufacturers, and if the HP model had an AMD in it I would be even more inclined to get it. But the size and quality of the monitor, the DVD burner included, the vidio excetera make this an awsome laptop for the price. If your looking for something that is not a micro machine you take anywhere, but rather a computer you can make dissapear from your desk top at any time, then this is a prime choice.

If you need power you can take a "HyperThreading" processor which probably gives you a 20 % boost over a similar processor.

zd8000 series

Best of all is the price ($1400). My sister has one, and it's nice to work on.

Battery life is on the 1 - 3 hour range, so maybe it is not the best choice.

Opps it does not have a DVD burner, but for the price you can always by an external one, it does have a DVD player/CD-RW drive installed.

Personally for the customization options, I'd take the slowest processor, 1 gig memory, and XP professional. Higer res monitor is a nice plus for only $75.

-Lee