which one

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Be Live Punta Cana over Iberostar Costa Dorado probably for the beach (if going when there is no sargassum issue). However, Be Live Punta Cana is a 3-star resort at best. They do have an Adult Only Building which I have heard is better than the "main buildings".

Reactions: bob saunders

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Either one is nothing to write home about but Iberostar would be my choice. Hotel is way better but getting to PUJ is a lot easier than flying into POP. Be Live is pretty much one of the worst in PC.....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Either one is nothing to write home about but Iberostar would be my choice. Hotel is way better but getting to PUJ is a lot easier than flying into POP. Be Live is pretty much one of the worst in PC.....
Well since we are in Jarabacoa it is much easier to drive to POP. How is the Bahia Principe Grand Bavaro? I would prefer going to POP but our guests coming from Texas want to go to Punta Cana, but they don't want to spend a fortune.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Well since we are in Jarabacoa it is much easier to drive to POP. How is the Bahia Principe Grand Bavaro? I would prefer going to POP but our guests coming from Texas want to go to Punta Cana, but they don't want to spend a fortune.
Much better choice than the other two. It is in Macau, which is a fairly new area in PC. It is past the Hard Rock heading towards Miches. I would recommend it for sure if you get your price.........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Much better choice than the other two. It is in Macau, which is a fairly new area in PC. It is past the Hard Rock heading towards Miches. I would recommend it for sure if you get your price.........
My wife is kind of tight with a dollar, but me I dont mind paying for what I get.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
For what it is worth...
I recently had a friend ask me my opinion about the Grand Bahia Principe in Punta Cana.
She knew that I had spent many years living and working in the area and considers me a bit of an expert on the matter.
I thought she would be okay with that choice but, as it turns out, she was not impressed.
Problems with the room (mosquitos galore), irregular maid service.
Attitude of the front desk staff left a lot to be desired.
The beach was over crowded.
The food was okay.
You get the picture.
lol.
I was reminded that I have been out of the area for some fifteen years and that what was "new and shiny" then may not still be so "new and shiny" today.
There are many sections of this hotel and she seemed to think it might have been worthwhile to have spent a little more and gone for the more updated area.
Anyway, if you want to check it out...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For what it is worth...
I recently had a friend ask me my opinion about the Grand Bahia Principe in Punta Cana.
She knew that I had spent many years living and working in the area and considers me a bit of an expert on the matter.
I thought she would be okay with that choice but, as it turns out, she was not impressed.
Problems with the room (mosquitos galore), irregular maid service.
Attitude of the front desk staff left a lot to be desired.
The beach was over crowded.
The food was okay.
You get the picture.
lol.
I was reminded that I have been out of the area for some fifteen years and that what was "new and shiny" then may not still be so "new and shiny" today.
There are many sections of this hotel and she seemed to think it might have been worthwhile to have spent a little more and gone for the more updated area.
Anyway, if you want to check it out...

You are talking about a DIFFERENT Hotel.

Bahia Principe Grand Punta Cana Is a different hotel than the one you are referencing. Yours is the old one that is still there and the one Bob asked about is a new one.................Two different locations. The one Bob said is in Macau.​

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Maybe look at the Occidental Punta Cana (not Caribe). Again, probably a 3-star but could be doable. I guess it would come down to their price range and the dates they are looking for.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My wife is kind of tight with a dollar, but me I dont mind paying for what I get.
Not really recommending this but it will make your wife happy. One thing about this place I do like and has nothing to do with the Hotel. Location is really good. You can walk a short distance to some of the best restaurants in PC and other stores. The restaurant below is easily one of the best in Punta Cana. Can walk there in 8 minutes.

https://www.expedia.com/Punta-Cana-Hotels-Whalabavaro-All-Inclusive.h1550498.Hotel-Information/?chkin=2023-03-16&chkout=2023-03-17&x_pwa=1&rfrr=HSR&pwa_ts=1677778365679&referrerUrl=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZXhwZWRpYS5jb20vSG90ZWwtU2VhcmNo&useRewards=false&rm1=a2&regionId=601906&destination=Punta%20Cana%2C%20La%20Altagracia%2C%20Dominican%20Republic&destType=MARKET&selected=1550498&latLong=18.59386%2C-68.38268&sort=RECOMMENDED&top_dp=100&top_cur=USD&semcid=US.UB.GOOGLE.PT-c-EN.HOTEL&semdtl=a115306290308.b1132052897802.g1kwd-59250299461.l1.e1c.m1EAIaIQobChMI29ePuOO9_QIVofHjBx0oYQF0EAAYASAAEgKUXPD_BwE.r12e5a4b821a60259543157b5c3a2397965d2899461d42107c826e37440e3f4ef1.c1WcGaf5oa-WelL-KX16n3Bg.j19075488.k19075488.d1586561582210.h1e.i1.n1.o1.p1.q1.s1.t1.x1.f1.u1.v1.w1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29ePuOO9_QIVofHjBx0oYQF0EAAYASAAEgKUXPD_BwE&userIntent=&selectedRoomType=2544917&selectedRatePlan=121113613

Jan 9, 2004

What is the budget, wants, needs............because Bahia Grand Bavaro and Bahia Grand Punta Cana while they may meet your budget, they may not meet your wants/needs. Know that there are better options for a few dollars more per day and there are some that are even a few dollars less.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
You are talking about a DIFFERENT Hotel.

Bahia Principe Grand Punta Cana Is a different hotel than the one you are referencing. Yours is the old one that is still there and the one Bob asked about is a new one.................Two different locations. The one Bob said is in Macau.​

Gee...
Bahia Principe Hotels located on playa gorda right next door to the Riu hotels is the one to which I was referring.
On this property there are several sections.
Grand Punta Cana
Grand Bavaro
Grand Turquesa
Grand Aquamarine
Lux Ambar
Lux Esmerelda
and
Fantasia

I am not familiar with the new Bahia Principe to which you refer.
The use of capitals AND bold font make me feel like I should be apologizing or something.
So...
If I offended, sorry.
I can't help but thinking that Grand Bahia Principe and Bahia Principe Grand are one and the same.
A rose by any other name and all that.
Am I wrong?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What is the budget, wants, needs............because Bahia Grand Bavaro and Bahia Grand Punta Cana while they may meet your budget, they may not meet your wants/needs. Know that there are better options for a few dollars more per day and there are some that are even a few dollars less.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I Totally agree, but my wife is tight with a dollarcand so is her cousin coming from Texas. He us vwey well to do, that I know for sure. Retired oil refinery commisioning engineer. Spent his last six years bwfore retiringcin the UAE.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I Totally agree, but my wife is tight with a dollarcand so is her cousin coming from Texas. He us vwey well to do, that I know for sure. Retired oil refinery commisioning engineer. Spent his last six years bwfore retiringcin the UAE.
Based on your post he may not like the resorts mentioned. These are 3-star at best hotels. Again, depending on dates, you may be able to get a better resort at a good price.

Jan 9, 2004

Well, if it’s price driven, then you may want to go to PC after mid April and before mid June. And again, if price is the major driver……..then you can go to Occidental Punta Cana for slightly over $1,300 for two for a week. At that price point, the Occidental Punta Cana represents excellent value.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Well, if it’s price driven, then you may want to go to PC after mid April and before mid June. And again, if price is the major driver……..then you can go to Occidental Punta Cana for slightly over $1,300 for two for a week. At that price point, the Occidental Punta Cana represents excellent value.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Is that pricing on their website or can you provide a link where you found that pricing, thanks.

Jan 9, 2004
Is that pricing on their website or can you provide a link where you found that pricing, thanks.

I believe that I saw it on Expedia and was quite surprised at the price. Try running Occidental Punta Cana, April 16-April 23, two adults. Very slight variations in May and up to and including mid June.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: KyleMackey