White-Flight to DR from the North & Europe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
White Flight was what it was called years ago in the 50s & 60s when people fled out of decaying cities to the suburbs (or beyond) and it is happening again (not just white people) But people fed up with the high crime of inner cities (and lack of will to control it) and uber-high taxation coupled poor schools indoctrinating children (although most by remote learning these days). People are looking to isolate their children from the spew that is like a volcano of stupidity in Western Society

I think I see more people interested in staying in DR & I expect to see more people fleeing the US, Canada and Western Europe looking for one last bastion of free men (and away from politics of the Covid and Global Warming hysteria ) and that might be to come to the DR or Colombia or some other country that isn't folding under the Great Reset.

Yes inflation is happening on steroids and it seems to be affecting building costs in DR bigly, maybe resells on existing homes too.

If healthcare were a little better in DR - the influx would be a raging flood.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NYC, Toronto, Montreal , London Eng..... all have had an exodus.....

I expect to see RD health care improve.... fast enough for me??
Can't say....................

Reactions: irsav

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
White Flight was what it was called years ago in the 50s & 60s when people fled out of decaying cities to the suburbs (or beyond) and it is happening again (not just white people) But people fed up with the high crime of inner cities (and lack of will to control it) and uber-high taxation coupled poor schools indoctrinating children (although most by remote learning these days). People are looking to isolate their children from the spew that is like a volcano of stupidity in Western Society

I think I see more people interested in staying in DR & I expect to see more people fleeing the US, Canada and Western Europe looking for one last bastion of free men (and away from politics of the Covid and Global Warming hysteria ) and that might be to come to the DR or Colombia or some other country that isn't folding under the Great Reset.

Yes inflation is happening on steroids and it seems to be affecting building costs in DR bigly, maybe resells on existing homes too.

If healthcare were a little better in DR - the influx would be a raging flood.
no crime in the DR, then why does the apartment complex I live in have more barbed wire and broken glass on the top of the wall than a Mexican prison?; as far as high taxes are concerned, I don't know about other countries, but unless you renounce your US Citizenship you're still going to pay at least federal tax in the USA; schools in the DR are better than the US or Europe??, really??, seriously??; we know why people come to the DR and it has more to do with a 65 year old man being with a 20 year old girl than anything else

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
no crime in the DR, then why does the apartment complex I live in have more barbed wire and broken glass on the top of the wall than a Mexican prison?; as far as high taxes are concerned, I don't know about other countries, but unless you renounce your US Citizenship you're still going to pay at least federal tax in the USA; schools in the DR are better than the US or Europe??, really??, seriously??; we know why people come to the DR and it has more to do with a 65 year old man being with a 20 year old girl than anything else

Maybe for you it does, but definitely not for all of us.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I always thought that, one day, I would move back to the US, but when I look and see what's going on, I doubt it. One half of the country is in a cold war with the other half. For better or worse, at least the DR will not become the permanent welfare state that the US is becoming.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Personally I think the rise in house prices in DR can be explained by a number of local factors. Firstly, as corruption generally is reducing, wealth is being redistributed to a larger and larger middle class. The ever-worsening situation with traffic in Santo Domingo and the rise in house prices there, despite the pandemic, is testament to this. Secondly, a lot of people have done well during the pandemic. People in western countries have largely been locked in their houses, nowhere to go out, no vacations, and those who have been employed and can work from home have saved. And in many cases have been told that they can continue to work from home. So buying a beach-house in a tropical island has become affordable and also practical as they can do their work from there.

Reactions: Africaida

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Got mine! But I won't be 65 for another week. She just turned 19, anyway!

Reactions: jinty05

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
When I first started coming here the US was the 1st world country, safe , organized, stable, hopeful, positive. The DR was a disorganized mess , a 3rd world country. Now I feel the situation has flipped. The US is a legacy country, a country that was once great but is now only coasting on it's former glory. There is no hope in the US and it is going downhill fast. The DR is a country of hope, developing in a positive way at a nice pace. I feel blessed to have made it my home.
I have zero desire to live in the US again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We are hosting a client from Germany via Airbnb that just purchased a very nice two story house that was on sale for a few years in our development. She told me that she had interest in 5 other houses on the north coast previously and they all sold before she could put in an offer, so this house was her 6th choice. She said the buyers were mostly Canadians who were purchasing the properties after viewing the listings on the Internet and completing the deals remotely. (Is that Canada bashing?) The German has the house under contract and she plans to finish the deal by the end of May.

The game is certainly afoot on the north coast in the housing market 200K US and lower.

Reactions: Africaida

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
When I first started coming here the US was the 1st world country, safe , organized, stable, hopeful, positive. The DR was a disorganized mess , a 3rd world country. Now I feel the situation has flipped. The US is a legacy country, a country that was once great but is now only coasting on it's former glory. There is no hope in the US and it is going downhill fast. The DR is a country of hope, developing in a positive way at a nice pace. I feel blessed to have made it my home.
I have zero desire to live in the US again.
The problem is stability. When things change every 2 or 4 years it gets pretty hard to figure.
Autocrats vs Democrats. Someone mentioned a "cold" war. Not so cold anymore.
Another mentioned a 'global warming hysteria' Well fact is the water is now 14' deeper [east coast of US) than it was 70 years ago, so something is up. But here's the big question, why does every immigrant want to make it like the place they left?
I could go on but wont offend the moderator.

Reactions: melphis and David B

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We are hosting a client from Germany via Airbnb that just purchased a very nice two story house that was on sale for a few years in our development. She told me that she had interest in 5 other houses on the north coast previously and they all sold before she could put in an offer, so this house was her 6th choice. She said the buyers were mostly Canadians who were purchasing the properties after viewing the listings on the Internet and completing the deals remotely. (Is that Canada bashing?) The German has the house under contract and she plans to finish the deal by the end of May.

The game is certainly afoot on the north coast in the housing market 200K US and lower.
Nah, Canadian winters and Trudope are too much to put up with, plus the last of the baby boomers are retiring.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I love my country. My family was among the 18th Century settlers to the Colonies. But things in the US seem almost out of control these days. I blame rapidly shifting demographics and extreme ideologies. Stating the truth isn't bashing.
Don't think it is the demographics as must as the identity politics that is causing havoc.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The problem is stability. When things change every 2 or 4 years it gets pretty hard to figure.
Another mentioned a 'global warming hysteria' Well fact is the water is now 14' deeper [east coast of US) than it was 70 years ago, so something is up. But here's the big question, why does every immigrant want to make it like the place they left?
Where is the water 14 inches deeper. It would have to be 14 inches higher to cause a problem.

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Agreed. However, I have seen a lot of North American families moving here in the past year.

It has a lot to do with Covid fatigue AND the new ability to work remotely rather than hate for their former country.

Beautiful beach, lower cost of living are very attractive....until they realize that private schools are not cheap (especially if you have more than one kid, if your kid has the slightest special need u pretty much f*cked) and many things are actually more expensive. Personally, I don't spend much less here than in the US but I have more space and better quality of life. I could have had it in other parts of the US, but I like the Caribbean better :)

It would be interesting to see what is going to happen in the near future. Prices are going up due to this influx and life is not as cheap as some Youtuber claim to be. I have already have seen a couple family throwing the towel when the rose colored glasses fall.

Also, for families with kids who are a little older, the transition is not always as smooth especially with the language barrier (I know quite a few kids who would rather be in the North America in fact).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
14 Feet - where did you pull that number from ?
If that were true that would displace thousands certainly, but the average ocean rise for the last 100 years is 2 millimeters / year - that is 20 cm ( 0.65 feet or 7.8 inches) in 100 years, hardly enough to flood anyone not living at sea level

Good thing the DR enforces ocean building setbacks.................:ROFLMAO:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

14 Feet - where did you pull that number from ?
If that were true that would displace thousands certainly, but the average ocean rise for the last 100 years is 2 millimeters / year - that is 20 cm ( 0.65 feet or 7.8 inches) in 100 years, hardly enough to flood anyone not living at sea level

Good thing the DR enforces ocean building setbacks.................:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.