White-Flight to DR from the North & Europe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
We are hosting a client from Germany via Airbnb that just purchased a very nice two story house that was on sale for a few years in our development. She told me that she had interest in 5 other houses on the north coast previously and they all sold before she could put in an offer, so this house was her 6th choice. She said the buyers were mostly Canadians who were purchasing the properties after viewing the listings on the Internet and completing the deals remotely. (Is that Canada bashing?) The German has the house under contract and she plans to finish the deal by the end of May.

The game is certainly afoot on the north coast in the housing market 200K US and lower.

Same here in LT.

Buyers who haven't even spent a week here buy properties, others sight unseen through internet. I find that amazingly risky or I must be poor, lol

Same for long term rentals, shitty houses going for 1,500 USD per month :(

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting that much of the sea level "rise" has to do with the land sinking and other factors not related to climate change.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Passport renewal in the DR is handled by mail.

CV19 seems to have caused some problems of various kinds over the past year.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Same here in LT.

Buyers who haven't even spent a week here buy properties, others sight unseen through internet. I find that amazingly risky or I must be poor, lol

Same for long term rentals, shitty houses going for 1,500 USD per month :(
I wonder where on the internet they are finding these properties

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
We are hosting a client from Germany via Airbnb that just purchased a very nice two story house that was on sale for a few years in our development. She told me that she had interest in 5 other houses on the north coast previously and they all sold before she could put in an offer, so this house was her 6th choice. She said the buyers were mostly Canadians who were purchasing the properties after viewing the listings on the Internet and completing the deals remotely. (Is that Canada bashing?) The German has the house under contract and she plans to finish the deal by the end of May.

The game is certainly afoot on the north coast in the housing market 200K US and lower.
Very true. A friend of mine just sold his condo to a Canadian who never came here to inspect the unit - only saw fotos on brokers website.

Reactions: Africaida

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This is about people from Canada, the US and the EU getting away from their various countries and virtually nothing to do with your comment at all.
If you want something to blame for igniting this current situation, as in things not going well for the past period of time, think of a virus that was first spotted back in Q3 of 2019 near a virology lab in China.

Exactly.
I had to move a few months ago because the owner of the house I was renting decided to spend a few months here (he usually never spends more than few weeks here) after the 100th confinement and curfew in his town in France. His company is partially running. I don't blame him. He will be gone after things get back to normal I suppose.

Reactions: bob saunders

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Apologies to the mods for this not directly mentioning the DR, but it does explain how the pandemic changed things (and it has ZERO to do with Son of a Sailor's comments):

Bingo ! COVID changed everything (or accelerated)

I would add that school are an important factor as well. My kids have been attending school since September (private). It s small and their classroom are outdoors under a pergola. A God-send for many parents, most kids fare MUCH better having other children around (social) and with in person learning. The only outbreak I have witnessed is lice :D

Status
Not open for further replies.