White Haitians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okap82

Nov 22, 2021
USA
Race cannot be discussed on DR1
seriously?!... the word race is a broad term that applies to ones cultural heritage, national identity, ethnic identity and other times genetics. How discussing or mentioning simple facets of reality has become taboo or against the regulations of this forum is beyond me but .... What can I say. Looks like everything is taboo. Is this really what our societies of digressed to? A world where you can not even talk about cultural history and heritage?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
seriously?!... the word race is a broad term that applies to ones cultural heritage, national identity, ethnic identity and other times genetics. How discussing or mentioning simple facets of reality has become taboo or against the regulations of this forum is beyond me but .... What can I say. Looks like everything is taboo. Is this really what our societies of digressed to? A world where you can not even talk about cultural history and heritage?
I assure you that discussing the color of one's skin is not permitted on DR1. Nor is the discussion of religion permitted. That is the reality of DR1.

Okap82

Nov 22, 2021
USA
I assure you that discussing the color of one's skin is not permitted on DR1. Nor is the discussion of religion permitted. That is the reality of DR1.
well if thats the rules on the forum then i will respect them. but frankly thats absurd to me in my opinion.

Okap82

Nov 22, 2021
USA
I don't see anything "racial" about the video(?). Maybe I'm not "woke" enough?
right and this was not really a discussion on skin color it was a discussion on migrations of middle eastern and European people into Haiti. White is used in the title as a umbrella term for European and middle eastern caucasian people.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is a peculiarity of Haiti when it comes to race - in that it was the First Black Independent Republic - and I don't think that we can discuss Haitian history without a certain mention of race. The mods on the Haitian forum have been pretty lenient with the strict DR1 rules vis-a-vis the Haiti forum for this reason.

I did not know that some of the French who had technical professions were spared. I certainly do not profess to know all and everything. But I do know that there are some very fair skinned Haitians. There are blue-eyed Haitians. There was a band of Polish soldiers, I believe, who fought against the French during the slave revolt and settled there - although this may just be legend.

I do know that many of the Very Wealthy Haitians who emigrated from the Middle Eastern nations --- even back in the 1800s - are - not - considered "Haitian" by many Haitians. I am not sure if it that their origins were not French, or that they have not intermarried, or that they have not been seen as beneficial to the nation, or that there is simply a resentment against their business acumen..

When Obama was nominated, I was in Haiti, staying at the Grand Hotel Olaffson (written about in Graham Greene's book "The Comedians - also where Mick Jagger and Martha Graham used to hang out) ... The next day - a Sunday -
which is (perhaps was) always a WONDERFUL day on the porch of the Olaffson -at large tables with wonderful people gathering -
I spoke with various folks.
One - a prominent journalist- commented :"It shows me that you Americans can look beyond the skin into to the soul of a person." -
and another - a much younger journalist
"But is he Black enough?"

Reactions: Grampa

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Oh yes, but if course!! Whites in Haiti and Obama. Some could slip those into a conversation about changing the oil in a car.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One of the first forums I moderated was this one. Haiti. I have always afforded posters a lot of leeway in this forum when it comes to race discussion, just because Haiti and race are so intertwined.

However, in this case we’ve devolved quickly into USA politics and away from Haitian content, so we are done here.

Closed.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.