Whittling down the looong list of Generals

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
Last edited:

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I remember it used to be " too many indians and not enough chiefs" but we cant say that anymore...its not PC

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The DR has more Generals than any other country regardless of size IIRC. This is a step in the right direction.

Jan 9, 2004
I just remember them doing it before. So what happens. Do they get appointed again.
Exactly.

Usually after they are called out on it by world agencies who monitor such things (DR has/had more Generals/Admirals than the US/Canada combined).

So they make a big public splash, retire generals with full benefits for life.......................and then when things quiet down......appoint new ones. After all, how many generals does a country need with 8 brigades of troops, a handful of ships and half a dozen planes (that operate).

Lots of reform noise with this new president................time will tell if he actually follows through..................call me skeptical...............but I have heard this all before over the years..........and at the end of the day.................nothing really changes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: AlaninDR and aarhus

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
In all of my time here I have never heard of such a large quantity of high ranking military being retired like this. It's always been onesies and twosies.
61 is an extraordinary amount.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Does anyone know the pension as a % of retiring salary? When I was in the USMC, it was 50% for 20 years up to a max of 75% for 30 years, regardless of rank. Is it similar here?

Jan 9, 2004
Sounds like that’s what they must have done in the past.
Exactly.

In 2013, the DR had 147 Generals. A "law" was passed with much fanfare limiting the number of Generals to 54;

And then four years later;

This game has been playing out for years in the DR with every incoming administration saying the same thing, so............don't expect significant changes..........or you will be disappointed.

At this point Pres. Abinader has only talked a good game..............much like his predecessors..............and few people believe it might be different this time.

Retire Generals with much fanfare and publicity (full pension)...............and then quietly add back.............same old same old.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: aarhus

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
MY neighbor was a coronel an Just before he retired he was promoted to general. nice bump