Who governs the police?

La Verdad

Jan 4, 2009
And I've got into the jail (Fortaleza) on pizza on a day when I shouldn't have been there :):).

Maybe we should rename the thread Muffins, Samosas & Little Green Frogs :cheeky:.

You would have to get permission from The OP wouldn't you, it is after all her thread?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It was light hearted LV, not a serious suggestion ;). Just something catchy to bring the message home that people respond because you take the trouble to show you care, not shell out big bucks.

chahim

May 31, 2009
travelling

I would like to know some more about the experience you had there. I will be travelling to DR for 2 months. Any advice on where to stay and what to avoid?

It must be horrid being uncomfortable in your own home but remember they feed off it and so you are playing the game they want.
You could also be making a mountain out of a molehill and they are genuinely looking out for you in the hope you will buy them a beer if you ever met them in the bar.
From my experience though Dominicans give very little for nothing, and will gain at every given opportunity, I asked for directions once and then was asked for 100pesos, and then chased down the street for it, very odd.
Anyway, some of the Gold people on here are pretty well connected and do know loads of things about how to handle stuff, some are full of rubbish also but you can clear the good advice from the guessing people.
Don't get up tight, but never ever pay them unless you are prepared to leave the area. After one time you will have to leave as it will become more and more regular with more and more security and officers.

Lashes

May 31, 2009
whar part of DR r U In?

Most Police in DR are corrupt and some have been known to commit crimes themselves. If you are looking for a Civilian Complaint Review Panel, GOOD LUCK.

I can recall a scenario where an off duty police officer would come home at 3-4am drunk and put on the music where it can be heard for miles. He would then shoot his firearm in the air and retreat back to his home only to do this crap the following evening. Well, everyone in the development went to the local police Colonel, I 'd say 10-15 families at once, and lodged a formal complaint. Now I ask you, how can so many families complaining about an unruly, law breaking, officer who endangers not only himself but innocent people while discharging his firearm, be so wrong?

The endpoint.., his was given a verbal reprimand and scolded by the co. and nothing more. Here in the US, he would have been indicted.
It is my understanding that police officers are required to use name plates but many refuse because of their illicit activity. You may have to go headquarters in the capital and lodge a formal complaint but you'd run the risk that they may retaliate and plant drugs and or other contraband to set you up. Good Luck.

This sort of thing happened to a rich friend who hails for Belize. Every time he would arrive to his vacation home, like clock work, they harass him for "donations". They use the ruse that they were safeguarding his residence while he was away and therefore, he has to pay a "Tariff".

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Hello Shalena. I just read through this thread, and have one observation/suggestion for you that others either overlooked or just don't understand. That includes even AZB who knows almost everything, but probably hasn't experienced this situation. (with all due respect AZB).

The DR culture is macho, but the ABSOLUTE most macho place in the DR is the police station. You may be very independent, but a woman should NEVER go to the police station without a man. (I'm not being a sexist pig, I am telling you the reality of the DR).

WOMEN DON'T GO TO THE POLICE STATION ALONE, let alone as a foreign woman. (except maybe in the case of spousal abuse)

The first time I had an accident, I had to go to the Palacio de Policia in Santo Domingo to file my report. Not having much Spanish, I thought I made a prudent choice to take along my secretary. She was an educated, self-confident, upper-middle class young lady and I thought she knew the ropes pretty well (I guess she had never had a reason to come there before).

We got to the front door on the front steps of the Palacio, and a lowly police corporal reduced her to tears in about 30 seconds, telling her "this is no place for women - you're not coming in here, just go away and go to somewhere women belong". I had never seen anyone cow her before, but he sure did a good job of it. Luckily, I called someone else to come down and come in with me, and everything was fine.

You don't need some colonel to suck up to and to stand up for you. If you need to go to the police station, next time, look for a neighbor's husband who is considered by all to be a "serio" to go with you. Being considered to be a serio has nothing to do with money or possessions, but on how they conduct their life. Explain what's going on, and ask him to come and help you. It might cost you a batch of cookies afterwards as a thank you.

If you don't know anyone close by, then ask for the owner (if not the owner, then at least a man who is a jefe in the company) of your security company to come with you. He has probably had experience dealing with the police, and he probably (or should) know the local jefe. They can talk among themselves and resolve this problem for you. Do not become part of this discussion, just sit down in one of the plastic chairs inside the door of the police station and be quiet and smile, even if you have to bite your tongue repeatedly).

The police could care less about foreigners, especially Americans, if they don't conduct business in the normal Dominican way. Swallow your pride, and your independence , in this situation, and try doing it "their way". The problem might just go away if the guy from your security company tells them that his men have security under control in your area, and thanks for their extra patrols, but they really aren't necessary, but if something big happens, the first person they will contact is el jefe directly....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
WOMEN DON'T GO TO THE POLICE STATION ALONE, let alone as a foreign woman. (except maybe in the case of spousal abuse)

I have a lot of respect for your posts, GringoCArlos, and the other ideas in the one above are great, but I think the experience of women going to police stations must vary area to area. I have never had a problem as a foreign woman going into Puerto Plata police station alone. Not once, over many years. Whether it was to get a buena conducta, or to visit BushBaby with food & shaving gear when he was held overnight in the officers quarters years ago :rolleyes:, or to collect & sign for a discharged foreign prisoner, when I was half expecting problems so had a whip conveniently tucked down my trousers. They were unfailingly polite and helpful if occasionally utterly dumbfounded. No-one ever even tried to reduce me to tears (I mean we'd still be there :cheeky:). Possibly Puerto Plata police station is more accustomed to foreigners than some other areas. Sure, you get looks but at my age you've had a lifetime of it, so no problem.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree. The two or three times I've visited police stations have not been comfortable experiences, for the reasons described above, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That's the other thing, of course, familiarity & confidence. At the time when I was a frequent visitor, I was known. And if someone didn't know me I acted as if they should have done (which is all part of the game here). Even got into the Commandante's office unsupervised. He wasn't there (we were waiting for him to arrive to sign out the discharged prisoner, the day before the Government changed August 15th. 2000, so no-one around) but the Dept. of Prisons Discharge paper was on his desk. Clearly these things can be conveniently 'lost' or 'ransomed' & without it the prisoner remains a prisoner, so I knew I had to make a copy. So I borrowed it from the Commandante's desk, nipped out of police station, next door to a lawyer's office, copied it, back into police station and returned it to the desk about 2 mins before Commandante arrived :) . And no-one questioned what I was doing at all.

I still have that copy of the discharge paper, just in case, for the future, you never know.......:cheeky: