Who is going to rent all these apartments in Las Terrenas?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's exactly how I would draw up the marketing plan.
8a85ae.jpg
Hmm... I have heard quite a few African Americans complain about the increasing Latino presence. Quite a few of "this is not the country I grew up in." Unless someone knows that I'm Latino, then they don't know and lets leave it at that.

I think if the flight takes place, the whites will be the most simply because they are most of the population in North America and on average they have more money than the average for most other groups. Others will follow too. The DR will get its share in case that takes place.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Hmm... I have heard quite a few African Americans complain about the increasing Latino presence. Quite a few of "this is not the country I grew up in." Unless someone knows that I'm Latino, then they don't know and lets leave it at that.

I think if the flight takes place, the whites will be the most simply because they are most of the population in North America and on average they have more money than the average for most other groups. Others will follow too. The DR will get its share in case that takes place.
I think DR, if they play their cards right, can become an outstanding landing spot for N. Americans/Europeans as well as other Latin American countries. As long as there is protection from crime. It's also important not to price out natives relative to real estate. The bold has been going on for a long time.

Reactions: cavok and Big

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I think DR, if they play their cards right, can become an outstanding landing spot for N. Americans/Europeans as well as other Latin American countries. As long as there is protection from crime. It's also important not to price out natives relative to real estate. The bold has been going on for a long time.
Kyle where u been brotha!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There was an article in local news that rich Haitians were a large group of buyers of property in the DR.
I am sure quite a few wealthy Dominicans are buying property to rent out in the DR as well.

More and more people from the USA are buying near me in Cabarete. When I arrived in 2003, that was certainly not the case.

Reactions: CristoRey

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Punta Cana area is the same buildings going up on every corner... No way the infrastructure can handle this./this is why you see an accident every 5 minutes when you're driving plus the lack of Education

the selling point is oh you're 5 minutes from the beach and they show this calm beautiful beach but in reality you're 5 minutes from a public beach with all the Riff Raff loud music and kids running around in the Underpants swimming I would strongly recommend if you do Buy in the Punta Cana area you buy one with private beach access

Reactions: KyleMackey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Punta Cana area is the same buildings going up on every corner... No way the infrastructure can handle this./this is why you see an accident every 5 minutes when you're driving plus the lack of Education

the selling point is oh you're 5 minutes from the beach and they show this calm beautiful beach but in reality you're 5 minutes from a public beach with all the Riff Raff loud music and kids running around in the Underpants swimming I would strongly recommend if you do Buy in the Punta Cana area you buy one with private beach access
And of course we can have that discussion that "All Beaches are Public" in the DR.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Meanwhile, the poor few roads in Las Terrenas are being torn apart from the huge dump trucks and other mega-ton vehicles especially in Las Ballenas. There is only one road in/out with pavers and 2 huge mega projects in the works. The road is being torn apart.

Why doesn't the government charge a use-fee to each developer (for every project) so the roads can be repaired for every mega project in the area? After-all, they build these large complex's and its the surrounding citizens are then left with torn apart infrastructure.

Reactions: MariaRubia

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
We took my parents, a while back, to HOMS in Santiago, to visit somebody. They were appalled🫣🫣🫣.
Two years ago I needed an MRI so I went to HOMS because of it's reputation as one of the best hospitals in the country. I was appalled too,filthy and run down and incompetent workers. I had an appointment and still waited over 5 hours to be seen. I spent an hour in the MRI machine with some "kid" trying to get it to function. Finally he gave up and then the hospital gave me the run around and refused to refund my cash payment. Unless it was a life and death situation I wouldn't let any medical personnel touch me in the DR.

• Wow
Reactions: Auryn and cavok

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
For those who are patient with water and electric outages, and want to roll the dice with healthcare, Samana offers some very attractive price points compared to other places. For a 2 bed 2 bath condo near the ocean from Myrle Beach to Delaware, you are looking at $400,000 to $1,000,000. The MONTHLY HOA fees on the Myrtle Beach condo are $1257 US, plus property taxes of at least $3000 per year.!!! In Las Terrenas you can find something for much less, and you can enjoy the ocean 12 months per year. Most people will not be in the ocean from Jan to March from Myrtle Beach to Delaware.

Reactions: aarhus and cavok

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Two years ago I needed an MRI so I went to HOMS because of it's reputation as one of the best hospitals in the country. I was appalled too,filthy and run down and incompetent workers. I had an appointment and still waited over 5 hours to be seen. I spent an hour in the MRI machine with some "kid" trying to get it to function. Finally he gave up and then the hospital gave me the run around and refused to refund my cash payment. Unless it was a life and death situation I wouldn't let any medical personnel touch me in the DR.

And yet when I had my MRI done by Clinica Abreu in the capital a couple of years ago, it went perfectly. Great service, minimal waiting, and they accepted my credit card. They also provided me with a diagnosis and a CD of the MRI itself. I think I paid a smidge over $200USD.

Reactions: reilleyp

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
And yet when I had my MRI done by Clinica Abreu in the capital a couple of years ago, it went perfectly. Great service, minimal waiting, and they accepted my credit card. They also provided me with a diagnosis and a CD of the MRI itself. I think I paid a smidge over $200USD.
I've been going to Abreu for 30+ years. Dozens of times and have never had what could be called a bad experience. There's only been a few instances where I had to wait for something more than an hour or so.
Ever since the Venezuelans bought it they have invested many, many millions in upgrading just about everything.

Also, This is the first time I've heard negative comments about HOMS.

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Here in Boca Chica, I've talked to at least 2 guys who have done just that. Both of them are younger than me. I have a feeling that if they were back in the USA, they would be working still, albeit begrudgingly.
That's one reason I moved here - I could stop working full-time. If I were still living in England I would probably be working full-time to this day.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We took my parents, a while back, to HOMS in Santiago, to visit somebody. They were appalled🫣🫣🫣. Imagine taking them to abreu, bourgignal (?) , or a public hospital 😆😆😆.

I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, but appalled of what exactly (HOMS)? We've visited/had many people staying in HOMS and I've had most recently my wife and elder son staying in hospitals in EU and while I agree with some other clinics in the DR, I do not consider HOMS a bad place (compared to those in EU). Our elder son had surgery in EU, and while obviously the treatment was perfect, the room was really really tiny and uncomfortable. Your younger son had surgery in HOMS, and again, treatment perfect AND the room was really cozy, big and just really nice. The staff had time for us, there was a food/drinks/pharmacy available in the same building, none of which was the case with your elder son in EU (yes, there was a cafeteria but then it closed...).

3 of us 4 have had various health issues (me not so far, thankfully) of various degrees of severity over the years, so I've seen many hospitals/clinics in EU and the DR, and my opinion is that both have their good sides and bad sides (just to be clear, only private in DR and public/normal in EU)...