Serial entrepreneur
Warehouse of useless knowledge
Frustrated redneck chef wannabe
Scootertrash

Reactions: bob saunders

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Thats not bad, there is ALWAYS grad school. She can do that and you wont hear from here for another 3 years.

I met a guy one time Upstate NY whose daughter was studying Public Relations in Syracuse University. She was set to graduate but didnt know what to do for work. The best place you can make a go of Public Relations is NYC. But the guy said his daughter didnt like NYC. So go figure? You study something where the best likelihood of employment and experience is in a place you dont like. Now she can go to other places, smaller places, BUT the NYC experience would get her in the door ANYWHERE and get her taken seriously quicker. But she didnt get it.

lol.... It's been a challenge to make her stay in school until she grads... actually to get her to go in the first place. I don't think she'll be back in a classroom any time soon. LOL Even if I could convince her to go for the Masters, it would have to be on her nickel, 'cause once she grads, we start the LONG countdown clock to retirement and spending 6 mos a year in the DR. LOL

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I am a 74 year old retiree. What do I do, not a lot. the school run every morning, cook a bit, study my spanish, go shopping, help our daughter with her english, mend her bicycle, plant a few seeds, some of which grow, go have a beer by the beach, use the computer, get told off by my wife, read, look forward to visits by family, I'm worn out by evening but pretty happy with it all.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
Feb 7, 2007
Graduate in business administration, 29, experience in marketing & product development for telecommunications (prepaid services) in the USA, history with media (channel representation) throughout US & Latin America.

Currently involved in media/cable advertising business in the DR, a small incoming tour-operator on the side.

Should I say I had a student agency for school trips (Paris, etc.) back in Europe when I was 15? ;)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Local chiropractor in day time job (santo domingo).
Off time indian tandoori cook (hobby).
My previous career : electrical engineering.
In my bored time, I test VOIP telephones in DR and hack android on HTC Hd2 smartphone.

Aftab, you forgot the two very important things:
Inventor of ghetto fixes !!
and... the Politically Incorrect Truthteller!!

I always look forward to your posts! and I have been missing them in M&V forums...they are so boring without your input there!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
lol.... It's been a challenge to make her stay in school until she grads... actually to get her to go in the first place. I don't think she'll be back in a classroom any time soon. LOL Even if I could convince her to go for the Masters, it would have to be on her nickel, 'cause once she grads, we start the LONG countdown clock to retirement and spending 6 mos a year in the DR. LOL

Well there is always the non-profit sector, Peace Corps(has branches in DR), teach for America, Habitat for Humanity, various Indian reservations, etc. Gives you a chance to get her out of the house and see can see what she likes in the world.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I hate working, my dream is to get paid to travel (or dance), but I have to pay the bills if I want to keep on traveling and feeding the little ones.

I have considered stand up comedy, but unfortunately my strength is math so I get paid to crunch numbers when I am not on DR1 or researching my next place to visit :)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
greydread-albums-mogreypix-picture478-have-gun.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

"Have gun, will travel" reads the card of a man....... So what, exactly, does that mean you do for a living????

My mother used to say that my paternal grandmother had a card that said "Have suitcase, will travel" because she was ready to go anywhere at the drop of a hat. All 4'10" of her..... Sweet memories.....

AE

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
oppsss. meant to add.... not many of the youngsters here would know the origin of that business card.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Senior Accountant for a company in Fairfield CT.

Hopefully, the economy is picking up and I can land a position closer to my home in Hartsdale, NY.

In the meantime, God is throwing me lemons so I have to learn how to make lemonade!!!!;););)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
LOL Grey... I won't even guess what "gun" you're talking about. LOL

Hahaaaa!

You ARE the sharpest knife in the drawer!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kU0XCVey_U?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kU0XCVey_U?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
"Have gun, will travel" reads the card of a man....... So what, exactly, does that mean you do for a living????

AE

It was an old TV show. I think you would hire this guy to make someone vanish wink wink. He had a gun and he was willing to travel. Hope I remembered that right, showing my age and all. ;)

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
It was an old TV show. I think you would hire this guy to make someone vanish wink wink. He had a gun and he was willing to travel. Hope I remembered that right, showing my age and all. ;)

Full Metal Jacket....ahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I'm 40 years old, graduated from Northeastern University in 1997 with an MBA. At the request of my father I moved to DR in 1998, and enrolled at PUCMM to become an architect. As of yet I've not regretted the move, been living here ever since.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Oh Anna, sadly, I admit that I remember the show and the song - I'm the one who added 'is the card of a man' ;) Of course, I was just a small girl at the time. ;) Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam...?????? My dad loved the show.

As far as greydread....I have the impression from his posts that he's a US government guy - 'undercover', if you know what I mean..... not a lot of 'covers' in DR though, too damned hot.....

AE
I was gonna say 'US government spook' but didn't want someone to mistake my meaning...