Who's dominican?

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
A very well written post Jim. Thanks for your contribution to this thread, I always enjoy reading your well though out posts. What you say makes complete sense about Haitian culture and the divide. I just wish more people would recognize these points.

ajicaribe, what is your opinion on the topic that you started now? Just curious...

bob, prejudices are passed on through your parents for the most part, but you can change those prejudices in yourself as you get older and realize what is right and wrong. I know many friends who have racist parents, but they are not at all. You learn with time and change as well. The younger generation for the most part is good at overcoming racism and stereotypes.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Our prejudices are passed on by our parents. - bob saunders

This is unfortunately true and when certain seeds are planted at a very young age somtimes they are hard to shake.I grew up in an all white neighborhood in queens NYC and both my parents regularly used the term "nigger" when I was growing up...and they still do.Come to think of it..just about everyone in my neighborhood hated blacks and as a result I hated them too.I have been trying to shake that for a long time now but when those seeds are planted at an early age it is not an easy thing to do.All we can attempt to do is live and learn and try to treat people as individuals.

Larry