Why are Braces so desirable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Well that would be a stretch. I've never heard of fake fashion braces, maybe non-prescription colored contacts, but braces?
Well, then you need to get out more. There is no retainer on them. They're just nice, different colored pieces that are glued on their teeth. Do you seriously think all those girls in the barrios can afford real braces?

Reactions: drstock

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Well, then you need to get out more. There is no retainer on them. They're just nice, different colored pieces that are glued on their teeth. Do you seriously think all those girls in the barrios can afford real braces?
Maybe your right I don't get out much. I've honestly never seen a gal here with braces, well I don't see many barrio gals, that's for sure. My kids have friends that come over to do homework sometimes but I never looked in their mouths. But I take your word for it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe your right I don't get out much. I've honestly never seen a gal here with braces, well I don't see many barrio gals, that's for sure. My kids have friends that come over to do homework sometimes but I never looked in their mouths. But I take your word for it.
It does seem to have faded in popularity. I don't see as many today as, say, 4-5 years ago. I just chatted with a girl I know that had them. 3000 pesos. She told me that salons were putting them on and even people who would come to your house and do it. These are not the typical metal braces that you remember. There are different colored "stones" that you can choose from that are glued on your teeth.

Remember, this is the DR!!! 😅

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
It does seem to have faded in popularity. I don't see as many today as, say, 4-5 years ago. I just chatted with a girl I know that had them. 3000 pesos. She told me that salons were putting them on and even people who would come to your house and do it.

Remember, this is the DR!!! 😅
It's all fun and games until a 60 dollar fake braces salon job causes an infection that works its way down to the heart and eventually causes it to cease up.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's all fun and games until a 60 dollar fake braces salon job causes an infection that works its way down to the heart and eventually causes it to cease up.
I've never heard of one case of that. Worst case, they might stain your teeth and you'll have to go to a real dentist to have the stains removed. Real dentists glue on the same type of stones. Not much difference really except that the fake ones won't do anything to adjust your bite. They're just there for looks.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
A few years ago, I used to see a lot of people with braces, not so much anymore. One of our neighbors had them (she was over 35 at the time). I asked her why she had the braces as I never noticed a need for them previously. She said her dentist told her she needed them to prevent issues with her teeth later??? Now this was/is a so called educated, well to do individual. Saw her a few weeks ago, braces are off, and her teeth look different, like kind of crooked. Teeth do move with age so who knows....

• Wow
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
A few years ago, I used to see a lot of people with braces, not so much anymore. One of our neighbors had them (she was over 35 at the time). I asked her why she had the braces as I never noticed a need for them previously. She said her dentist told her she needed them to prevent issues with her teeth later??? Now this was/is a so called educated, well to do individual. Saw her a few weeks ago, braces are off, and her teeth look different, like kind of crooked. Teeth do move with age so who knows....
Maybe she had one of those "home visit" or salon jobs Cavok mentioned. People will do dangerous/risky stuff out of vanity. Always best to consult a reputable orthodontist. Santo Domingo has quite a few.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe she had one of those "home visit" or salon jobs Cavok mentioned. People will do dangerous/risky stuff out of vanity. Always best to consult a reputable orthodontist. Santo Domingo has quite a few.
You're probably going to really freak out to know you can buy non-corrective contacts to change your eye color without seeing an ophthalmologist then(?).

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You're probably going to really freak out to know you can buy non-corrective contacts to change your eye color without seeing an ophthalmologist then(?).
Relax buddy. No need to keep going back and forth, I was basically saying I take your word on this braces issue. All I know is you stick some dirty crap in your mouth, your eyes or wherever, we run the risk of infection. I've been wearing contacts for 30 years. I realize this. If you look at my above post I mentioned colored contacts. Everything we do at our own risk, some like to take on more than others. It's always best to be evaluated by a pro anyway before you want to stick anything in your body or adhere to your skin. There are those with allergies and predisposed to adverse reactions

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Back in NYC I knew of this dominican gal. She borrowed a friend's caid card and falsified her identity to get a dental procedure. Well they gave her a local anesthetic, she had a bad reaction and died in the chair. DR, US Thailand who cares, we all do it at our own risk.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well that would be a stretch. I've never heard of fake fashion braces, maybe non-prescription colored contacts, but braces?

Please tell me you are joking... or you and Kenny both need a Tutor before traveling to the DR.
I thought you lived there ... there is no way you cannot know this if you Lived in the DR.

Reactions: drstock

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Please tell me you are joking... or you and Kenny both need a Tudor before traveling to the DR.
I thought you lived there ... there is no way you cannot know this if you Lived in the DR.
You're right, I lied all these years. I don't live in DR. I really don't know these things. That's why I come here to DR1 for help from good folks like you. Tudor is an architectural style btw

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
And Yet your statement about Fake Braces was even more suspect than the Fictional Characters ...
Life is odd .
I really had no clue about fake braces. I've seen plenty of dominican gals with braces, like kids. I was not aware they were mounting fake ones for fashion. I apologize to you sir. I will do better. I promise.

• Haha
Reactions: nigrarosa

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I really had no clue about fake braces. I've seen plenty of dominican gals with braces, like kids. I was not aware they were mounting fake ones for fashion. I apologize to you sir. I will do better. I promise.
Maybe then you don't know many Dominican girls have fake boobs, butts, hair, and college degrees, also(?).

Reactions: jd426

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Braces, there are people needing them and some don't. Good orthodontists will talk out people of services if they feel the requests are for reasons other than correction. If people want orthodontics to show status, big deal. It is their wallets funding the work, not ours.

Just smile.

Regards,

PJT

Status
Not open for further replies.