Why are so many expats clueless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that you could also ask the question as to why do these clueless ex-pats insist on being friends?

There are some expats here that seem to think that because we share the same mother tongue or nationality that automatically makes them eligible to be my friend.

I wouldn't associate myself with these losers in my home country, so why should I do so here? I have a small circle of friends which I am very happy with. None of them ask me for outrageous favours or money. None of us need expats as integral parts of our businesses. We are simply friends that enjoy each others' company every now and then.

I have integrated in Dominican society as far as I want, but I will never be a Dominican, nor do I want to be.

I have to agree 100% with you on what you are saying here.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
What is this thread?
A bunch of people patting themselves on the back for absolutely nothing.
Well done guys!

This thread is the arse end of DR1.....

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
This is the same anyhow when they think they know it all and about all in the DR...

[...lot of bs that doesn't deserve re-posting...]

[and this GEM:]

Others that think that what they experience in their campitos by the coast is the true DR life and people, when over 80% of those denizens are but first generation and later Haitians... Suffices to say that the population of those coastal campitos back in the 80's was but finger counting to what you see now and Dominicans didn't replicate like cloned flies...

So much bs in one single post made my head spin. Sorry, PICHARDO, but your government's own census and surveys would beg to differ on that statement about the composition of the population of the "campitos" and reproductive rates. "80%"...what the hell? MAYBE in a batey. CITE YOUR SOURCES. What do you gain from trying to convince others that poor rural Dominicans are NOT "real Dominicans"? I would love to see you roll up into some places where some "real Dominicans" have lived for generations and tell them that they are not Dominicans.

YOU are another harmful anomaly on the spectrum with "clueless" expats, always trying to paint the DR as an upper middle class and upper class haven, and disavowing to even share a nationality with poor Dominicans.

This should be moved to another thread.

It could be called:

"why is PICHARDO so clueless?" :confused:

I don't think anyone else denies that there aren't extremely successful, educated Dominicans; a sizable amount of very concentrated wealth; some nice buildings and rich neighborhoods in the big cities, etc. But you always seem to deny that anything other than that exists. And if it does...1) blame it on the Haitians 2) it's worse elsewhere (always via fotos, because statistically it isn't) 3) look for a way to personally discredit the poster since surely they don't know what they're talking about.

And it's not necessary to shirk reality; people still love the DR anyway. :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Pichardo's "AGENDA:....Everything,and Anything,that is not right about the DR,is the fault of his Haitian "Relatives"!
"Man Up",mr "PEEEEEEEEEEEEE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Back in Orlando yet?

Oct 11, 2010
Why is a certain Dominican, clueless???

This is the same anyhow when they think they know it all and about all in the DR...

Take the one claiming that the DR is NOT on the Gold standard... Already posted the monetary Law that supports it and the system via which it's still in force (convertible currency/values).

Has the know it all of the DR shown a single Law based post to demonstrate that the Gold standard affirmed by the monetary Law of the DR (not the one in USA of France or ...) has been cancelled?

He thinks (along the fan club) that they can change it to their liking and be it the way we Do things in the DR by just "their" words... I posted the monetary Law of the DR ins great extension with the articles relation to convertible and values to kick...

What have they posted? Their words? Hah!

And now let's take Pichardo, the one claming the Dominican Republic IS on the Gold Standard. Unfortunately this thread is titled "why are so many ex-pats clueless?" So for this one reply lets just call it "Why is this Dominican, Pichardo, clueless?"

Pichardo, you know very well I have responded to your cutting and pasting of excerpts from Dominican monetary Law and demonstrated point by point how it DOES NOT show the Dominican Republic is on the Gold Standard. "Convertible currency/values" . . . NOTHING TO DO WITH A GOLD STANDARD.

The Gold standard has NEVER been affirmed by any Dominican Monetary Law, period, so there is nothing to be cancelled.

Yes Pichardo, you did post excerpts from Dominican Monetary Law and I also replied to you outlining and highlighting each and every point CLEARLY showing how the Dominican Republic is not on the gold standard. I won't re-post my replies here as they were very specific, detailed and lengthy, and the Dominican Monetary Law excerpts were in Spanish, but anyone interested can easily search and read my posts for themselves on the threads "Recession of 2008 and impact on the DR" and "Middle Class in the DR".

What I do find interesting is when I did reply to your posting of excerpts of the DR monetary law and outlined and highlighted point for point how the DR is not on the gold standard you didn't have anything more to say on the subject. After I picked apart your post point by point you went silent, except for the occasional pathetic attempt at an insult by questioning my education.

It is funny how you characterize me as "the one claiming the DR is NOT on the Gold standard." I CERTAINLY am that one you refer to in your post, but I am also CERTAINLY not the ONLY ONE. The people you so foolishly address as "the fan club" consist of EVERY SINGLE other poster who has posted regarding the DR being on the gold standard. Everyone who has commented on the subject of the DR being on the gold standard has been in TOTAL AGREEMENT that the DR is NOT on the Gold Standard, EVERYONE!! That is everyone except for you Pichardo.

Perhaps YOU are better characterized as "the one claiming the DR IS on the Gold standard." Because you are certainly ALL ALONE in that category. So far in all of the other threads and posts where this was discussed with literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of views, NOBODY, NOT ONE PERSON, except for you Pichardo, has been foolish enough to claim the DR is on the Gold Standard. Even the other Dominican apologists who usually come to your defense have been deafeningly silent on the subject.

Anyway in response to your question in your post . . . "What have they posted? Their words? Hah!"

That is exactly what I have posted MY WORDS, and I can confidently say MY WORDS have illustrated very clearly how the DR is not on the Gold Standard. Unlike you cutting and pasting lengthy excerpts of the Dominican Monetary Law which have NO RELEVANCE at all to the DR being on the Gold Standard. Perhaps you thought that since the excerpts were in Spanish and very boring and lengthy nobody would bother to read and analyze their detail. When I did, and commented on them point by point showing their irrelevance you fell silent.

Perhaps a more interesting thread would be . . .

"Why is a certain Dominican clueless?"

AlexMitchell

Dec 6, 2011
Expat Misconceptions continued...

11.) Dominicans don't know nothing about nothing! Wait...your Dominican car runs on what? kerosene and vegatable oil?
12.) Dominicans are wasteful, stupid people! Wait...are you sure you can fix my flat tire using only epoxy, used condoms, and the flame from a candle?
13.) Dominicans are slow, simple people! Wait...is it true that Dominicans have virtually no hypertension, little high blood pressure, and very little work related anxiety and stress related issues like Americans?
14.) Dominicans lack imagination and creativity! Wait.. did you just build a house out of cinder block, driftwood, corrugated steel, and cardboard?
15.) Dominicans don't know how to make money! Wait a minute... this is the third time this week that i brought my car, motorcycle, tv, and broken vibrator in for repair, and now you're telling me that i owe you another $1000 pesos, again?
16.) Dominicans have no work ethic! Wait...did i just see a woman selling fruit from atop of her head, a guy selling children's clothes from a bicycle, a shoe shine boy shining a person's bare feet, a guy squeezing fresh cane sugar and orange juice at a busy intersection, a motorcyclist delivering water, gas tanks, and pico pollo from the back of a bike?
17.) Domincans lack ingenuity! Wait...did i just see a guy building a house--pulling 12ft steel rebar behind his 50cc scooter, hauling cinder blocks on another scooter, delivering furniture--including glass, dressers, washing machines, stoves, and car chassis, and then transporting a family of ten---all from a scooter? is that really possible?
18.) Domincans don't know how to use tools! Wait..did i just see a girl opening a can of tuna using a butter knife, cutting driftwood up to build a house, tilling 10 acres of land using nothing more than a machete, cutting grass in his yard using another machete?
19.) Dominicans don't understand basic mechanics! Wait a second...did i just see a guy take a voltage regulator/rectifier out of a motorcycle and then modify it to fit inside his car, attach a Greco coffee filter to the inside of the gas tank of a diesel truck to filter the fuel, modify the engine to burn natural gas, used vegetable oil, and kerosene?
20.) Dominicans are too stupid to understand the dynamics of business and human relations! Wait...did i just buy another cellphone for my girlfriend, a different set of extended hair, another scooter, and donated more money for her ailing donkey that ran off, again?

This is absloute madness! Wait...i must be in the Dominican Republic.

Pretty much sums up my first 2 weeks here. TOTALLY surprised at some of the stuff I have seen. Great post!

SocialZealot

Jan 11, 2012
www.socialzealot.com
Man!!! CC your knowledge is OFF THE CHAIN!!! You, Robert and Hillbilly knowledge comes from the best education known to man EXPERIENCE & LIVING. I read the book written by Ginnie Bedggood and Llana Benady and it was a very informative book very well put together, but I would love to read a book Living in Dominican Republic through the eyes of C. Colon. You should think about it I will be first in line to purchase it. p.s OFF THE CHAIN is a good thing slang for the BOMB!! or TIGHT!!
If he writes a book, I am going to have to edit it for him. I love what he has to say, but hard as h3ll to read! I mean that with all due respect, of course :)

*edit. Just realized someone already offered their services.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
In regard to frank12 post #46 isn't that the way things were done 100 years ago?

With regard to your answer, isn't that the way we first world citizens, forgot to do a lot of things?

Here, your tv or washing machine breaks down, you call someone, the guy comes over on his moto with a plastic box with a couple of bits and pieces, changes a 50 cent transistor and charges you 7 bucks for the whole repair.

Where we come from, you call the dealer you bought it from, he calls the manufacturer, if you are lucky they will send someone over (if in warranty), but 9/10 you will have to send it to them. They will not replace that transistor, but the whole circuit board. Same repair, but the cost will run into several hundred bucks.

I once brought in an HP printer for repair, one week old, to the HP center in Belgium. The only problem was one of those white rollers guiding the paper (a 2 cents piece). They picked up the printer, threw it into a garbage container and gave me a new one. Their explanation, the cost in man-hours would be bigger than the cost of a new printer.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
The Negative Patrol Squad

In Pichardo’s defense, you guys do the same thing but in a negative way where y’all never have anything constructive or positive to say. Everything that comes out of your keyboard is negative as if you have some hidden agenda against our people and our country. Always the same “negative patrol squad” just waiting on someone to highlight something good about DR and no matter what it is you guys try to knock it down even when it is an investment project, some of you waste no time at all to degrade it by saying it is drug money. I guess I can’t blame you though, after all, most of you are the barrios’ mingling fools that don’t know anything else beyond that. You guys remind me of those Peace Corp guys that are used to work helping the poor in villages but then make fools out of themselves by acting all shocked when they meet a wealthy Dominican or see a structure that they think would only exist in a developed country.
Your negativity sometimes may be a clear depiction of a frustrated life

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I find it amazing that in my teens and twenties I knew EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING. As I get older, I am learning that I know less and less about anything. I'm getting more clueless by the minute... about life in general, not just the D.R. Old age sucks, but at least it brings humility with it. LOL

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"MrDR",you have given a typical "Dominican Response" to ANYTHING critical of your "Perfect" country!
Thank you for yet once again proving my knowledge about all Dominicans,and how they all respond criticism.
The first step to solving a problem,is to recognize that you have a problem!
Do you read "Bocachivo" in "Diario Libre"?
Do you know "Jose Boquete" of "Diario Libre"???
They are the only two "Dominicans" actually pointing out some of the many problems facing the DR,and it's citizens.
Maybe if more Dominicans spent more of their time trying to make this a better place to live,instead of defending the "Status Quo",life would get better here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
there is only one misconception that gringos have; "i will fit in".
hell, no, you will not. you will always stand out, like cacata on birthday cake. not even when you learn perfect spanish, mingle with the locals and live like dominicans do. not even if you are dark skinned or of latino origin, so you look dominican. not even when you marry, start a family and go to local church. something will always give you away. something will always tell: the way you talk, the things you know. turning your eyes away so you don't see a hungry street dog. reaching for change at the sight of a begging child. washing your lettuce in chloro water before you eat it. ironing in the rain. not eating sweets when you find out you have diabetes. breastfeeding your child instead of reaching for formula. walking out in the rain.
little things. big things. they will give you away for sure. there is no way you can fit in, no way you can be a part of it. behind your back, you will never be reffered to by your name, you will always be called a gringo.
you can boast all you want about your spanish, your acclimatization, your friends in high and low places. you can brag how you know the game, how you learnt the ropes. no. you know you didn't.
Yup.

You may "fit in" within the expat community, but you'll never "fit in" within the real Dominican culture.

Here you'll always be the Gringo.

It is what it is.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
And that is as it should be!
Too many "Gringos" try to "Go Dominican".
They "Think" they are accepted as such.
They think the Dominicans at the "Colmado" are laughing with them,in reality,they are laughing AT THEM!
Remember "Dan Akroyd" and "Steve Martin's characters on "SNL"???:cool::cool:
"Cool Cats",or so they thought!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc
Proud To Be A "GRINGO"!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm not an "ex pat" YET... just another gringo who bought a condo and enjoys the sun, ocean, and the tropics. I LIKE my newly adopted vacation neighborhood (Cortecito), I LIKE the D.R. and the Dominicans I've met (idiosyncrasies and all), and I LIKE being a "gringo". I have no misconception that I'll "blend in" now or ever, (LOL.. if you knew what I look like, the joke is funnier), I just want to get along, being "me", shorts and sandals included. If people laugh at me at the colmado, I couldn't care less. I've found that if you treat people with respect and a smile, they'll pretty much respond in kind. Actually, other than the added speed bump of language, I think there was almost as much "culture shift" when I moved from Philly to Pittsburgh 16 years ago. I'm still not a "Burgher"... never will be, just like I'll never be Dominican. In the immortal words of Popeye.... "I yam what I yam and 'dats all 'dat I yam." Now hand me a can of Spinach and I'm good to go! LOL (My apologies to those unfortunate souls who never got to see "Popeye" cartoons. LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.