Why are you in DR? Are you obsolete(d)?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Sure. Consider a job that is seasonally based and/or has natural pauses (such as teaching, tax prep, or something linked to tourism), or is largely contract or task-based (construction, transportation, consulting, writing copy, design, etc). I'm not sure what you're trained in, but think creatively in that field. There are always people paid to do more than punch a clock.

Anyway, live modestly from that first world job, and take the savings to live in DR. It is not easy, and will require sacrifices, but when you consider that most starting public school teachers in Georgia make almost 10 times as much as DR counterparts, you can see the benefits to earning in one place and living in another.

That said, my advice would be to return home, get a "day" job, and in the evenings learn skills that allow you to work from your computer (like medical transcription or web-work). Then move back when you have some independent financial stability.

Don't worry, they're not moving or shutting down the island. Everything you like about the island will still be here when you return. :glasses:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I have experienced hanging out with American expats in Latin America. It was not enjoyable. Quite frankly, I was a bit disgusted by the fact that they seemed to be there only to have sex with very young women and drink lots of cheap beer, all the while complaining about the people there not speaking any English. Now, I have no problem with dating or sex with young (ADULT) women, and cheap beer is a good thing; I despise exploitation, however, and that is the vibe I got.

I recommend getting over the feelings you have regarding "exploitation." From the moment you arrive the locals will be trying to exploit you and if you're smart you will return to the favor. Besides, every expat here is exploiting some aspect of living here. Exploitation is neither good or bad, depends on the individual. When an oil company exploits an oil field is that bad? Not if you're the company, but if you're the wildlife or natives that are adversely affected, it is a bad thing. In this world everyone gets exploited by someone, the ultimate losers are those that don't learn how to exploit others in return.

I can turn your statement above on top of its head. The sellers of cheap Dominican beer aren't being exploited, they're earning money from selling a product. The more they sell, the more they make. Both they and the young women are exploiting foreigners for their money. Some of these women(a handful really) are smart enough to save their money and buy homes or start small businesses. Most don't. When you come to the DR, you will see poverty. Don't let it bother you, as there is nothing you can do about and the more people you care for the weaker you will be. If the situation was reversed I doubt the Dominicans would care about you. Enjoy the fact you were born in a first world nation and "exploit" that as much as you can. Living in the DR requires tough skin.

Last edited: