Why are you in DR? Are you obsolete(d)?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
hugh_hefner_926600a1.jpg

I just don't get it, why do girls with such pretty blond hair dye their roots black???

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Annie: did I mention I am artist? Totally different mind set. What applies to the average westerner, often does not even remotely apply to me. Don't have much in common with the sense(s) of the masses, thankfully. :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Annie: did I mention I am artist? Totally different mind set. What applies to the average westerner, often does not even remotely apply to me. Don't have much in common with the sense(s) of the masses, thankfully. :)

What kind of Artist? Jarabacoa has a variety of artists, both tradition and not.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
What kind of Artist? Jarabacoa has a variety of artists, both tradition and not.
I am a painter (primarily figurative with oils), illustrator (pen and ink, watercolor), and a photographer (primarily medium format film, landscapes, portraits, and street scenes). I would like to know more about Jarabacoa. Is it sort of like the Oaxaca of DR?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Criss: I get the feeling you are holding back... ;)

Dangerous? So was Detroit... but there I was able to legally carry a gun....

Expensive... NOT a good thing.

"If you have enough money..." subjective. What constitutes a good chunka change there...50k? 100k? 200K? I ask
because I assume one cannot work if one stays for, say a year or so.

I appreciate you guys responding to my somewhat redundant and perhaps dumb-a$$ questions. Really.

Explorer 1, here's the difference: Yes, it's dangerous even in Detroit. But you have the option
of living someplace else in the US that does not compare to Detroit. You can't say the same
thing about the DR because it's dangerous just about anywhere you decide to live.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Explorer 1, here's the difference: Yes, it's dangerous even in Detroit. But you have the option
of living someplace else in the US that does not compare to Detroit. You can't say the same
thing about the DR because it's dangerous just about anywhere you decide to live.

Really? Than bad, huh?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Like the OP I am in my fifties and don't regret moving from my suburban apartment in England for a beautiful home here and having some cash left over. As others have said, if you don't want to buy lots of imported toys, living can be cheaper. Anything labour intensive, like fixing things, can be cheaper because the hourly rate is lower and they can repair things rather than renew them. I feel no need to try to "keep up with the Joneses" as its safer NOT to try to look rich. My biggest expense is a local girlfriend, but she's younger and lovelier than would be possible back home. Conversation with her about world events can be limited (or non-existent) though.

So far, I'm glad I moved here!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Really, I don't believe that, other than on the road, that Jarabacoa is dangerous. My old boss, who was recently transferred to Dayton Ohio, said he felt safer in Afghanistan than Dayton.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Really? Than bad, huh?

I will give you one example: You must have someone "babysit" your house while
traveling outside of the country for any amount of time or you will come back to
an empty house. Not so in the US, You just lock up and go.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Really, I don't believe that, other than on the road, that Jarabacoa is dangerous. My old boss, who was recently transferred to Dayton Ohio, said he felt safer in Afghanistan than Dayton.

I said JUST about anywhere(not all) and I stand by what I said.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
I will give you one example: You must have someone "babysit" your house while
traveling outside of the country for any amount of time or you will come back to
an empty house. Not so in the US, You just lock up and go.

Actually, one of the problems I had when living in Detroit was the same thing, only worse: you might very well come home to find not only personal possessions missing, but the furnace, water tank, electrical wires and plumbing as well. There is a brisk cottage industry in Detroit these days revolving around the theft and marketing of these items. Worse yet, because of the law in Michigan, for instance, you might find a squatter in your house, one who you will have to take to court to evict.

In comparison, D.R. doesn't seem quite so dangerous... It will take more than a notion to scare me. Seriously.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Actually, one of the problems I had when living in Detroit was the same thing, only worse: you might very well come home to find not only personal possessions missing, but the furnace, water tank, electrical wires and plumbing as well. There is a brisk cottage industry in Detroit these revolving around the theft and marketing of these items. Worse yet, because of the law in Michigan, for instance, you might find a squatter in your house, one who you will have to take to court to evict.

In the DR they will take the cabinets, window frames , doors, pipes, toilets(you name it)
When I said empty house I really meant empty house.

Last edited:

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
They stole my soul once in Detroit. Had to go to the soul joint around the corner to get it back. Let's see the DR top that.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Actually, one of the problems I had when living in Detroit was the same thing, only worse: you might very well come home to find not only personal possessions missing, but the furnace, water tank, electrical wires and plumbing as well. There is a brisk cottage industry in Detroit these days revolving around the theft and marketing of these items. Worse yet, because of the law in Michigan, for instance, you might find a squatter in your house, one who you will have to take to court to evict.

In comparison, D.R. doesn't seem quite so dangerous... It will take more than a notion to scare me. Seriously.

Then you will do just fine in the DR. Good Luck.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
It just seems to me that some posters are hell bent on always portraying the DR as a horrible, mexican cartel run kinda of place. I am not saying its Disney land but if you keep a low profile, don't flash cash around, brag when drunk about who you are and what you got, dont drive a crazy expensive car and are aware of your surroundings, you will be fine. avoid seedy places, if you are gonna come here I recommend the North Coast as there are plenty of expats around...

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
have a good friendship with your neighbors, always cry about not having enough money and make good friends. bingo, there you have it.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Leave me out of your list of hell bent. I say both the good and the bad about
the DR. Being Dominican and having Dominican family members living in the DR
gives me every right to say what I personally witness, experience and know.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's fair. In some ways I am running from something - American consumer culture. But more to the point and more accuratly, I'm running TO my dream of a life less ordinary down in the carribean. I've managed it so that I can live down there a full year without working and if it doesn't work out, I have plenty of money to come back and start over. With no kids, mortgage and debt...now is the time to see if I can pull this crazy dream of mine off.

I dig your sentiment though, thanks.

-Dylan

PS: F* Idaho!

go for it, now. you are still young enough to start over if your show flops.