Why are you in DR? Are you obsolete(d)?

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Well I'm gonna make it clear to some..... If you want a quiet, peaceful, organized, sedated, organized hectic traffic, police, firefighters and all city services.... Move to a Florida suburb!! is very sterile and programmed.... chain restaurants, clean streets, banks, no sankis, no palomos... NO UNPREDICTABILITY WHATSOEVER. A "normal" life that is.

On the other hand, if you dig the Thrill of not know knowing whats coming your way, hot chicks that wont cost you a fortune or youre gonna get shiimmy up the $#SS by her lawyer, if you like Motorcycles, some kind of lawlessness, beautiful non cookie cutter places, some good food.... come here or go to the other "3rd world countries"...

Completely different experiences, as I got older I started looking at the 55+ retirement condos in florida, and they started to look to me as the preamble to the cemetery... moving to a nice tidy tan box with nice shrubbery until I pass and they put me in another box that looks almost the same.
I chose to go with a bang and take the wild ride and take my chances, I rather die a violent death, than a very slow one in a freaking condo watching another box, and doing everything under the watchfull eye of the goverment...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well I'm gonna make it clear to some..... If you want a quiet, peaceful, organized, sedated, organized hectic traffic, police, firefighters and all city services.... Move to a Florida suburb!! is very sterile and programmed.... chain restaurants, clean streets, banks, no sankis, no palomos... NO UNPREDICTABILITY WHATSOEVER. A "normal" life that is.

On the other hand, if you dig the Thrill of not know knowing whats coming your way, hot chicks that wont cost you a fortune or youre gonna get shiimmy up the $#SS by her lawyer, if you like Motorcycles, some kind of lawlessness, beautiful non cookie cutter places, some good food.... come here or go to the other "3rd world countries"...

Completely different experiences, as I got older I started looking at the 55+ retirement condos in florida, and they started to look to me as the preamble to the cemetery... moving to a nice tidy tan box with nice shrubbery until I pass and they put me in another box that looks almost the same.
I chose to go with a bang and take the wild ride and take my chances, I rather die a violent death, than a very slow one in a freaking condo watching another box, and doing everything under the watchfull eye of the goverment...

you will get no argument from me on that....

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
funny how I used to watch people pass me by on the way to work, stuck in traffic, fustrated and caught in the vicious cycle of work, spend,buy some more **** so you can put it in the garage, do a yard sale, so you can buy more **** with some more work....
then you marry an ungrateful one who thinks that the Lexus is not enough, that she deserves more than than, even thought she has not worked in years...you working your ass off in the office so you can pay all the bills while she goes to the tanning salon, the gym, the maseuse with YOUR money!!!.... then one day you get tired

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
and sick of it, you gained 30 pounds, your hair is falling and your blood pressure is up 20 points.... the girl is blowing your money on botox, alkaloid water ($7 a gallon), and any other bs that the cosmetician sells her.... she tells you she is not happY!!!... the closet is full of dresses of a 25 year old on a 40 year old woman.... she tells you its not the same and wants a divorce....
your friend tells you he has seen the handyman of the complex hanging around your house.....
you confront her and **** hits the fan.... the police come.....
shall I continue?

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
they tell you you have to leave!!!, your own house that you pay for and maintain, so she can keep screwing the handyman on your bed!!!.... and there is nothing you can do about it!!!....
That is when most guys have an ahahh!!! moment and say to themselves.... f%$#k it.
Thats one of the reasons why a lot of men get tired of the system and want something else.... a new beginning.
seems like the system is stacked agains them, why not come to a place where you can have 20/30 year olds, who obviously want your money (dont they all mostly?) and what you can do for them, but that you can manage and control to your advantage?
is your rules... or next!!!...... that is another advantage of living in a "3rd world country"...... as long as you dont do crazy ****, rape kids, commit murder..... and keep your nose clean...is all good in the hood

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Example... go to the martini bar in Miami, all 30 some year old chicas, hunting for lawyers and doctors, competing with 20 some year old chicas.... looks like organized female rugby.... and then the big hairs coming in like they own the **** not knowing that in 5-6 some years that same "good girl" he met there is going to take him to the cleaners!!......
and then they do it over and over again!!
that is why some guys run to the islands.... they are sick of getting F*&^%$ed!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My "DR", now consists mostly behind the four HIGH WALLS of our home in SD.
My family is here, my friends come here to visit.
I am a "News Junkie" so cable TV keeps me interested, and informed.
I like great cigars, and great coffee, and my "Coffee Connection" brings me coffee, and "EPS" brings me "Great Cigars".
I like to "SHOP", but mostly on "Amazon.com", again "EPS" brings my "STUFF" from Miami.
I go to the Dominican "Big Box" stores, and to "Supermarkets" almost every day.
At night, I stay home.
When I want to get "Laid", I usually go to "Black Beard's Adult Resort" in "Costambar" for a few days of "Shooting Fish-In-A-Barrel"!
Many people who have lived here for decades do the same.
A few Dominicans who USED to be, what I Thought were good friends,have, over time, proved to be just like every other Dominican, and took advantage of that friendship.
Now it's a few good, "Expats", (Several From DR1),and some Dominican Family who ARE There when you need them.
The rest of them can just go on "F*#KING" each other, literally, AND figuratively!!!
Works For ME!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Ocean", if you think you are going to find women any different here in the DR, You WON"T!!!!
In fact, they make their American cousins look like angels!
They do, however, sure know how to "F*#K", so I guess it's worth it,
"In-The END"!

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
when you move here "for a change", you come with the same person you lived with in the usa,-you! This country will not change your future,- only you can do that. You seem to have high hopes for this country, and that is good. How about your hopes for yourself!
^^^this!!!^^^

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Oceanspear, how do you really feel? :)

Actually, it is almost like you are reading my mind. Scary.

Two stumbling blocks for my escape plan: how the hell do I survive beyond, say 5 yrs w/out a paycheck? Social security is at least 10 years away... maybe more if U.S. congress decides to make the age 67!
Second is, I hear good and bad regarding danger. I know the thugs in my home town, their behavior that is. Don't know which group is right,
those who warn about violent crime danger or those who say "you will be fine".

I guess it comes down to this: you pays your money, and you takes your chances....

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
well Criss to each its own.... If you are happy with your situation that is all that counts and f%$#@k everybody else.
I made my move and I can honestly say is the best thing I've ever done in my life. every now and then **** happens but having the experience of being f%$#d over a few times... I have learned and losses are on very low percentage points nowadays.
I have a small house near the beach, I spearfish, swimm and cycle, ride my motorcycle and have visitors come and I use them to bring me some **** I need from miami every now and then....
when I want a cheap trill I got that covered 2 in a few places with hot women and NSA and no lawyers!!
I lost 30 pounds, my blood pressure is normal and even see a little bit of hair coming out!!!
I again am able to do as many pull ups as i did when I was 20.... my migraines are manageable, the coffee is good and even started a garden in the back yard!!!.... my "guachiman" of the house lives across with his wife and 3 kids cost me 50 dollars a month to watch the house and cut the grass every now and then...
could not ask for a better situation... it a little quiet here, but I have read many books, don't watch tv and started to make a few casual friends in the town....
in my opinion overall its been a good change for me personally

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
explorer1... my tow cents to you... if you want to relocate to the DR, and if you dont have a lot of money to blow away, stay away from Santo Domingo DN the capital..... pick the north coast (samana,cabrera,Gaspar hernandez,or even Cabarete), make connections with expats, avoid the seedy places and try not to bring chicas to your place.... better to rent a room until you meet a few regulars that you can trust a little....
how do you survive after 5 years??? well after the first year, if you are careful enough and watch your money you will get a feel for this place. every situation is unique to each individual..
mine I got "lucky" since i knew a few people in the right places, I do make an income not much, enough not to have to work more than 2 days a week if I want to. I must say, my little house is paid for, I have little expenses and my hobby (speafishing) is cheap.
I ride my motorcycle and bicycle to most places to save gas, have a beat up old pick up when I have to go to Santo Domingo and my only other possesion is a little skiff with a small outboard.... I live a decent peaceful life with spice.
the anxiety that used to make me eat my nails is almost gone, I have slowed down in a good way.
If you want to come downhere and expect a 50K salary with benefits...stay in the US
I don't even make a third of that... but you know what??? I do a lot more with it, and in my personal situation have a lot more of a life...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Single Life" is a "Piece-Of-Cake" here in the DR.
I "Remember When"!!!!!!!
Now, with 4 kids, a wife, and my "Parents-in-Law" those days are a fond, and inexpensive, lifestyle.
Without a steady income stream, I would never have undertaken that responsibility.
I love it, but without money, NO WAY!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
they are indeed Criss..... my daughter graduated from college in the states last year... she is a grown woman, I admire and respect family life. If you are single and have come to realize that maybe another marriage is not in the pipe for you, this is a good place. I thought it over for a long time. I knew that to come to this lifestyle with a woman was gonna be tough, the one I was with was not gonna be able to deal with the shock...No STARBUCKS, No Macy's, mosquitoes, sometimes No power....
and I honestly feel that when we parted ways we were both relieved...she of not having to "endure" my adventure and my dying to almost get off the grid. To this day we are very good friends.
I didnt want a mortgage, or a regular job anymore. I always felt good about driving old beat up trucks and motorcycles and I was never gonna be able to afford in the states to live this close to the water as I do now...
it is not perfect by any strecht of the imagination believe me, but I'm ok with my decision. I miss walmart thought...lol

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
my best friend lives in Missisipi, has 23 years left on his mortgage left, a landscaping business that he hates, my other friend is a lawyer 38 years old 236lbs and no hair his wife and kids are his life but stress is killing him, my other friend has been a manager a walgreens for 20 years, 17 years left of the mortgage more that 18 years away from retirement if ever.... my ex wife is now with an Ecuadorian fellow who reminds her everyday what a bitch he is, he gets to tell her off because he pays her lexus and the Plantation home and her credit cards, at 39 her looks are fading and she does not look that fit anymore and looks very stressed, every now and then she tries to google hang out me and I just look at it and smile.... I knew I made the right choice....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
they are indeed Criss..... my daughter graduated from college in the states last year... she is a grown woman, I admire and respect family life. If you are single and have come to realize that maybe another marriage is not in the pipe for you, this is a good place. I thought it over for a long time. I knew that to come to this lifestyle with a woman was gonna be tough, the one I was with was not gonna be able to deal with the shock...No STARBUCKS, No Macy's, mosquitoes, sometimes No power....
and I honestly feel that when we parted ways we were both relieved...she of not having to "endure" my adventure and my dying to almost get off the grid. To this day we are very good friends.
I didnt want a mortgage, or a regular job anymore. I always felt good about driving old beat up trucks and motorcycles and I was never gonna be able to afford in the states to live this close to the water as I do now...
it is not perfect by any strecht of the imagination believe me, but I'm ok with my decision. I miss walmart thought...lol

i have news for you, spear. (well, maybe not news). a lot of your fellow countrymen are beginning to come to the same conclusions you did. what is the f**king point of the rat race? simple question; do you know how many times i have gone to the post office here, in 10 years? 3!. i remember when i used to just visit, and spend a week at a time. when i got back, my neighbor used to bring me a shopping bag full of mail that had accumulated in 6 days. took me an hour just to sort it, answer it, write checks, etc. constant pressure. parking tickets for everything. moving violations for less than nothing. it is a good place to live if you can afford the bimmer, and be a part of the in crowd. anonymity in the US is purgatory.

i sat on the malecon of POP having a cocktail, all the while wondering how much i would have to pay to drink in a similar location in the USA.

the gringos will be coming. real soon.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I recalled when a nice house in Hollywood florida was not enough for her....the car was 3 years old and had to be replaced...I always felt guilty about not picking up the phone for business and just take a day off because I had so many bills to pay...appereances to keep, places to go and pretend to be who you are not, and to appear wealthier than what you actually are....
me nowadays??? riding in chancletas on my little motorcycle no helmet, no BSO to pull me over!!!...cleaning fish and making tostones with salad, drinking coffee, and thinking about how to build a second floor on the house for my guests from the states!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I recalled when a nice house in Hollywood florida was not enough for her....the car was 3 years old and had to be replaced...I always felt guilty about not picking up the phone for business and just take a day off because I had so many bills to pay...appereances to keep, places to go and pretend to be who you are not, and to appear wealthier than what you actually are....
me nowadays??? riding in chancletas on my little motorcycle no helmet, no BSO to pull me over!!!...cleaning fish and making tostones with salad, drinking coffee, and thinking about how to build a second floor on the house for my guests from the states!!

go for it. get a decent health insurance policy, since health care is expensive. then , live to the fullest.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
they can keep the bimmer, the martini bar, aventura mall, overzealous cops, code enforcement, DOT... its funny that you mention Mail!!!, my friends ask me where to mail me cards and letters!! I take them to the front of the house and show them no Mailbox, no street name, no address.... they can't comprehend it... I remenber dreading opening that mailbox sometimes in florida...
I miss the keys fishing thought... different species here

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Gorgon, I've been here for 2 years already. flew to florida last week, felt like a fish out of water....
mind you my is cuban my dad spaniard, she cant understand either what the hell am I doing in the DR....If she only knew....