Why can't the Dominican Republic be the solution to the crisis in Haiti?

CristoRey

Welcome to Wonderland!
Apr 1, 2014
Listen buster, what do you think this is "a fire sale". Hmmmm , perhaps it would be if there were any trees to burn into charcoal. Dey
done gone, ain't dey??
I bid to high?
This damn La Carta at 10 pesos a cup is killing me, lol

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I still like the idea of Haiti becoming a US or French Protectorate. It would be difficult to convince the Americans and French to take that on.

UKers here will loudly object to what I will say now, but Whitehall has also a quota of blame in this mess. After all, independence was their idea, first floated to the white colonists (after these ones sought aid vía Jamaica to squash the slave rebellion) and later when they negotiated their exit from the mess with Toussaint (this one politely rejected, but Dessalines would retake the idea later, and receive weapons, ammo and naval support from the Royal Navy). The idea was basically to screw France by robbing them of their main source of income (and tit for tat for the French aid to American independence). While it is true that France was royally screwed by having lost what amounted to the source of half their exterior commerce, they would recover later, while Haiti has still yet to recover from having embraced said "stupendous" idea.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think this is uncalled for and this idea is constantly repeated on here. How can you say this. There are many examples of countries that have been turned around. And technology does that countries can leapfrog forward. You never know. If this is the belief of this community why have this Haiti sub forum.
I firmly believe with history as my guide that there is no hope for Haiti. Nobody in their right minds will invest enough money or do enough voluteer work to turn Haiti around. The world has seen how badly every attempt at helping Haiti has gone. There are some broken things to which there is no repair. Is all this a threat to the DR? Yes, and a large threat at that.

Reactions: rfp

John Boyter

Coffee break
Jun 10, 2008
johnboyter.com
I firmly believe with history as my guide that there is no hope for Haiti. Nobody in their right minds will invest enough money or do enough voluteer work to turn Haiti around. The world has seen how badly every attempt at helping Haiti has gone. There are some broken things to which there is no repair. Is all this a threat to the DR? Yes, and a large threat at that.
Haitis lack of economic development and illegal immigration to the DR is a threat yes. And what do you see as solutions to that ?

Regan

Apr 16, 2020
The UN solution is to make Haiti better by making the DR worse. China is running the UN. If they start loaning to Haiti, it's for the sole purpose of creating default, and justifying occupation, not militarily, but commercially. As long as the escudo Dominicano has a bible in the center, the UN will try, like Trujillo to dilute the culture with anti-western wokeness.

CristoRey

Welcome to Wonderland!
Apr 1, 2014
Haitis lack of economic development and illegal immigration to the DR is a threat yes. And what do you see as solutions to that ?
Isreal sent people here a few years
ago to talk border security. The PLD
was in power at that time. Perhaps
the new administration will revisit the idea.

Reactions: Caonabo