Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The Dominican Republic could still be the solution to the crisis in Haiti.
All they need to do is to ask the United States of America to invade and occupy Haiti.
Then they offer their services to manage the occupation eventually leading to a complete take over of the entire island.
One Island
One people
And more elbow room for the privileged to expand into and visit.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
All they need to do is to ask the United States of America to invade and occupy Haiti.
Then they offer their services to manage the occupation eventually leading to a complete take over of the entire island.
One Island
One people

I can't imagine the Haitians going for that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One Island
One people
That's a utopia that will never happen.

I still don't understand the concept some people have of "one island, one people" when there are many examples where that isn't true and where one people occupy multiple islands (Indonesia comes to mind). Even in that second one, Indonesia itself went through the most recent break off of East Timor, which was a part of Indonesia until a few years ago. Part of Indonesia also accounts for parts of other islands, such as Papua New Guinea. There are continental countries that are much more similar and they aren't becoming one any time soon, such as the USA and Canada (lets add the Bshamas too since it's so close to the USA).

Thinking that if the entire island was Haiti and then all else remains the same, where Haitians could go to become farm workers, construction workers and for a time get away from the gangs? Ask any Haitian in the DR if they wish the DR was a part of Haiti with all conditions that currently exist in Haiti. I think we all know the answer, but go ahead and ask them. Even the small expat community currently in the DR wouldn't exist considering most if not all expats on DR1 don't consider becoming expats in Haiti not even in their nightmares. Even for expats that are very close to Haitians, with Haitian wives/kids, etc and are in the DR moving back to Haiti is simply not an option. It's either the DR or leave the island. Many may not say it, but you can see what they think of the thought of moving to Haiti. Through their actions it's evident they are glad there are two countries on the island.

The idea that Haiti will become like the DR will remain that since the first thing needed is for the place to be flooded with Dominicans. Ever since Osorio depopulated the west in 1606, people from the east don't go there in large numbers.

The idea that the DR might begin to function like Haiti is unsettling for Dominicans and beats the purpose of most Haitians that left Haiti and settled in the DR. The last thing someone fleeing Haiti wants is for Haiti to follow them.

Last edited:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
:oops:
@NALs you either I have a reading comprehension problem my post
Or I have one with your.
We are two trains on parallel track heading opposite directions.

Because my idea is to simply eliminate Haiti.
As I have not seen any better ideals.
And having to live next to a gangsterment or a gangstertatership is unsettling to me.
The Dominican Republic does not have the military might to take over Haiti
They need help to do it.
But taking over Haiti at this point is the only answer.
If the small expat community posting up in here has one (and most are simply throwing their hands up saying Haiti is failed state) then they are not posting it up in DR1.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I can't imagine the Haitians going for that.
Haitians cannot even manage their own county.
To the winner go the spoils.
That is the idea of war after all.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
You will be assimilated, resistance is futile...

Are their any Haitian's standing and fighting for their country?
Or are they all just fighting for their peace or running to make a better life for themselves?

After the island is subdued the occupiers could promise everyone who moves to Haiti 1 acre and a bottle of Brugal.
Betcha one island one people works then...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Even as a dream the timing of of this dream is a nightmare: Meaning very little if anything can get done now in the U.S. with a divided House and basically a lame duck president. You say..."ask the U.S. to...". First question I pose is: Who would you ask? Covid, inflation, Ukraine ,recession, Oil, mass killings and on and on. Secondly, in about 6 months all efforts will be to focus on the next election. The attitude will be Haiti, where dat man??
Nope, Vegas, I think your horse has been scratched. IMO of course.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Luis is getting all he wants anyway. He needs and he gets cheap Haitian labor to build the towers and enrich the elites. Same with the hotels that will be built in under developed parts of the DR. And, he gets to look like the good guy by crying to the world "Poor me folks I can't do this alone.". What would he gain by being part of an arranged deal?

Reactions: Auryn

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
:oops:
@NALs you either I have a reading comprehension problem my post
Or I have one with your.
We are two trains on parallel track heading opposite directions.

Because my idea is to simply eliminate Haiti.
As I have not seen any better ideals.
And having to live next to a gangsterment or a gangstertatership is unsettling to me.
The Dominican Republic does not have the military might to take over Haiti
They need help to do it.
But taking over Haiti at this point is the only answer.
If the small expat community posting up in here has one (and most are simply throwing their hands up saying Haiti is failed state) then they are not posting it up in DR1.
Eliminate the first black republic of the world and second oldest country in the Americas? For those two reasons alone it will not happen or even be allowed to happen. Whatever happens to Haiti and whether it expands, remains the same or get smaller; its disappereance will happen when the world ends.

Speak to Haitians about making Haiti disappear and let us know what they say. Here is a hint: see how Haiti got its independence vs how Jamaica got its independence. One had to fight for it with many lives losts while the other simply had its independence handed to them. Haitians and Jamaicans exhibit great pride in their countries regardless current conditions, but to even suggest making Haiti disappear given how it started in the first place is a very crazy idea.

Last edited:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Well in case you have not looked at the conditions in Haiti they be crazy.
Crazy conditions require crazy solutions.
Or put the place on complete quarantine but some drones up and have a real life hunger games.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
It is my opinion that the opinion presented in post #334 is not possible and will simply amplify the current humanitarian crisis ongoing in Haiti.

Because the Dominican Republic is not dealing with a immigration issue. They are dealing with a refugee issue.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
It is my opinion that the opinion presented in post #334 is not possible and will simply amplify the current humanitarian crisis ongoing in Haiti.

Because the Dominican Republic is not dealing with a immigration issue. They are dealing with a refugee issue.

Unfortunately, most Haitians in the DR don't qualify as refugees, they have been arriving for years as economic immigrants. Perhaps a few of the most recent arrivals can be classified as refugees, but that is all.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Unfortunately, most Haitians in the DR don't qualify as refugees, they have been arriving for years as economic immigrants. Perhaps a few of the most recent arrivals can be classified as refugees, but that is all.
Thank you for making my point.
As I have been talking about the current situation
Please review post number #322
And then review the definition of refuge as I provided given the current situation.
Thank you once again.

Given the current situation in the country are you saying that Haitians arriving at the boarder now could not be classified as having fled "war, violence, conflict or persecution" ❓
How are you defining a "few"?
How are you supporting your statement or is it just your opinion?

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
This subject has been beaten to death. The only people who can fix Haiti are Haitians.
The only people that can fix DR are its people and that can never happen either. That president does Not want it. He spouts B-S about Haiti like just about every dominican on our
planet. So very sad. But DR one day might regret its selfishness.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The DR is dealing with an illegal immigration issue. People like the Haitians who cannot find a way to make a living in their home country are not refugees. Just like my home country has people with no chance to earn a good income, they are not going to get asylum by crossing the border and asking for it.

If the DR granted asylum to what you suggest are refugees, that would be different. They are not refugees and there is no such asylum.

At least some people realize Dominicans are not interested in fixing the problem, as Nadie21 points out, that is because there is no fix that anyone can make, let alone the DR. It is pointless to suggest otherwise. The DR has not been selfish with respect to Haiti. It is being realistic.