Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Not at first. Most whites will be afraid to come down. I'm an exception. So you market to the black middle and upper class in the USA and elsewhere. Jacmel is an area to be showcased. There are others. I hear St. Marc is nice too. But you build with black tourism and eventually whites will follow.
Once someone show the economic imperialists that money can be made there. I am sure your statement will be valid. But I do not think the color of the skin of the tourist matters. If that was the case individuals who do not look like Jamaicans would not go and enjoy Jamaica. šŸ¤”

Curiousā‰

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Let me ask, is your name related to your businessā“If you actually work in the solar industry in DR why did your ignore my private request for informationā“

Thanks for your one sided and not accurate history lesson.Haiti went through alot but never could get it's act together.
HIStory is always one sided. Take the time to educate me. Point out the inaccuracies of my history lesson.

Name one leader that worked for the people.? One?
I can name you the leaders supported by western interests that supported them over the interests of the Haitian people. Tell me where did Baby Doc fly and on whoā€™s military aircraft did he fly on when he left Haiti in 1986ā“
Or should we just shake our exposed buttress at a money making music moment.

I do not know your preferred dance moves. But feel free to post a video to Youtube and a link here for use to reference. That will give me better perspective in order to answer your question. Although I pretty sure I will not enjoy watching your video very much compared to this:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Once someone show the economic imperialists that money can be made there. I am sure your statement will be valid. But I do not think the color of the skin of the tourist matters. If that was the case individuals who do not look like Jamaicans would not go and enjoy Jamaica. šŸ¤”

Curiousā‰

But they stay in AI's or hotels. They don't venture out and they're warned not to.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
How does one "fix their own country" when they are illiterate, jobless and spend their time trying to find clean water and food.

Oh.. I see that you have hit the nail on the head on where a good place to start would be... As far as clean water goes, Millions of free dollars and equipment have been spent on the water treatment plants of Haiti. I know this first hand. This includes months of operator training and critical spares.. So you go back to the same plant 8 months later and the same things are wrong with it. No maintenance has been done.. No data taken, and those same operators that received training that are still there look at you as if they are clueless.. Fact is that those operators don't care about working or the product they are distributing. They just want to get paid for doing nothing.. So let your heart bleed for Haitians for whatever reason you wish for self justification, but the facts at least from a clean water perspective are that you "Can't Make People be Responsible". Second is that no one and no country has respect for anything received "for Free"..

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Haiti is the cesspool of the western hemisphere (shithole just sounds rude). As I have said before if a country ever needed a 20' wall on their border its the Dominican Republic.
This country has enough of a challenge helping itself. Why on earth would you want them to help a country that makes Zero effort to help itself.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
What Haiti needs is the western world to stop (expletive redacted) with it long enough for it to be able to get it own act together. Economic imperialist go homeā€¼

Haiti is the cesspool of the western hemisphere (shithole just sounds rude). As I have said before if a country ever needed a 20' wall on their border its the Dominican Republic.
This country has enough of a challenge helping itself. Why on earth would you want them to help a country that makes Zero effort to help itself.
I do not agree with you my man. In my opinion building walls is an idea being proffered by the idiots all around the world. The Dominican Republic has a interest in having a country with a stable economy and functional democratic government next to it. Only the short sided do not realize that.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What Haiti needs is the western world to stop (expletive redacted) with it long enough for it to be able to get it own act together. Economic imperialist go homeā€¼

I do not agree with you my man. In my opinion building walls is an idea being proffered by the idiots all around the world. The Dominican Republic has a interest in having a country with a stable economy and functional democratic government next to it. Only the short sided do not realize that.
of course they do, but after they built the university in Haiti that Haitians didn't use I am sure the interest in financially helping ungrateful people disappeared.

Reactions: JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
of course they do, but after they built the university in Haiti that Haitians didn't use I am sure the interest in financially helping ungrateful people disappeared.
You might not be aware of this. I went to UNAPEC. Only Haitians were in my language classes. They were all from, how shall we say it ā“ , families of means. Not one of them, not one spoke of using their education in another country other than their own.

So I call technical foul on those claiming Haitians do not care about Haitiā€¼Those proffering that idea are doing no more than the gorilla reach around and fling.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Vegas was apparently not here when the UN and NGO's rolled into Haiti via SDQ. with all the new land rovers an other jeepetas. or the RR at nicolas Ovando.one of the more expensive hotels if not most expensive in santo domingo. They really put haiti in great shape and all but haitians got rich.Of course lets not forget the caloral that accompanied the UN blue hats.

Reactions: aarhus and JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You might not be aware of this. I went to UNAPEC. Only Haitians were in my language classes. They were all from, how shall we say it ā“ , families of means. Not one of them, not one spoke of using their education in another country other than their own.

So I call technical foul on those claiming Haitians do not care about Haitiā€¼Those proffering that idea are doing no more than the gorilla reach around and fling.
I know many Haitians in Canada and the USA. I never heard a single one say they wanted to move back to Haiti.

Reactions: KyleMackey

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I know many Haitians in Canada and the USA. I never heard a single one say they wanted to move back to Haiti.

I was about to say the same thing. I have two Haitian friends in particular whose children were born, raised, and college educated in the U.S. Very bright kids and doing well here. When I ask why skilled and educated Haitian-Americans (and there are many) don't go back and try to help or run for office, the answer is always the same: "It's not worth the trouble. That's why we're here". Substitute Dominican for Haitian and the answer is often the same.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I was about to say the same thing. I have two Haitian friends in particular whose children were born, raised, and college educated in the U.S. Very bright kids and doing well here. When I ask why skilled and educated Haitian-Americans (and there are many) don't go back and try to help or run for office, the answer is always the same: "It's not worth the trouble. That's why we're here". Substitute Dominican for Haitian and the answer is often the same.
So, because my experiences are not the same as yours...are you both saying my experiences are invalid ā“

Maybe it was the hope that springs from youthā“ Very little of which resides with the posters of DR1ā€¼

But every since I got out of my country of origin, I am so happy and I would never want to return eitherā€¼But I often have too.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, because my experiences are not the same as yours...are you both saying my experiences are invalid ā“

Maybe it was the hope that springs from youthā“ Very little of which resides with the posters of DR1ā€¼

But every since I got out of my country of origin, I am so happy and I would never want to return eitherā€¼But I often have too.
Are you saying our experiences are invalid. I love my country of origin, only thing I don't like is the length of winter. Back to the subject, it is in the interest of the Dominican Republic to have a stable and prosperous neighbor, but it is not the DR responsibility to rescue Haiti from Haitians.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Here are a few definitions:
Different: not the same as another or each other; unlike in nature, form, or quality.
Invalid: (especially of an argument, statement, or theory) not true because based on erroneous information or unsound reasoning.

I am saying my experiences are different from yours. So, a quick review of the above definitions should answer your question.

Back to the subject: I understand your position on this issue. But is both possible to realize that something is in your interest but not your responsibility but still find it in your heart to help.

Example: It is in my interest to help extended relatives, but it is not my responsibility.

I am not making the argument that it is the entire responsibility of any one person or nation to help the people of Haiti. But, in my opinion, it is not possible to place all the blame on the Haitians currently living with the country right now without taking into account the larger picture of the individuals, companies and countries that have played a role in the difficulties currently being experienced in Haiti throughout history. I have present plenty of examples in many other posts that I will not review here.

The idea that they (Haitians) need to "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps" is a invalid one in my opinion.

Are you saying our experiences are invalid. I love my country of origin, only thing I don't like is the length of winter. Back to the subject, it is in the interest of the Dominican Republic to have a stable and prosperous neighbor, but it is not the DR responsibility to rescue Haiti from Haitians.
If you love your country of origin, why do you live here in šŸ‡©šŸ‡“ ā“