Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
How do you find this out. I have looked for the sin bin but it seems to have gone the way of off topic.
He has (under his screen name on first post) a very special status here on DR1. He cleared testing at the airport and received an all expenses paid vaction courtesy of DR1. Isn't that special? Not.

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wallls and borders between countries have
been around for hundreds of years. I fail to
see how they are all of a sudden racist :unsure:
On spot. Anyone can look at most Dominican houses, most have walls on the limit of their property and many have barbed wire on top. Perhaps they are there just for show, because many of the Dominicans that say walls don't work make sure to have walls surrounding their house!

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
On spot. Anyone can look at most Dominican houses, most have walls on the limit of their property and many have barbed wire in top. Perhaps they are there just for show, because many of the Dominicans that say walls don't work have walls surrounding their house!
Yup. Nothing to do with racism and everything to do with keeping thieves out.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
1602766720355.png

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
"Apart from defense, other purposes of the Great Wall have included border controls, allowing the imposition of duties on goods transported along the Silk Road, regulation or encouragement of trade and the control of immigration and emigration."

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The time to have provided funds for a border wall was following the 2010 earthquake, when it was widely reported and observed that ALL of Haiti's prisons were emptied. Thousands of murderers, rapists, and pedophiles released.
To where? Ten years later, and nobody knows.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
There are many things that could be tried, but very few of them that will be tried. The US is involved in enough places and should be involved in far fewer places, not more.
Or said another way. Its only the US who can help Haiti. I agree the US is already involved many places. But none are so close as Haiti. I dont believe the theory with China getting involved.

nsxplus1

Feb 3, 2020
I love living in this touchy-feely society....

(TROLL MODE ON)

Haiti can only be fixed by a Haitian----- Due to the following factors--

Culture, language, religion, thinking, education, history and the list goes on and on

Haitians (the population not the aristocrats) only understand and fear power not laws, not consequences or words from some outsider. Specially when they are hungry or the kids have no food. they have immediate needs for their survival.

History:
  • 1776 US independence
  • 1804 Haiti independence
  • 1822 Haiti invades the Spanish colony DR
  • 1844 DR independence from HAITI
  • 1937 Trujillo kills all Haitians in the DR territory (massacre del perejil)
Haiti has been dominated by dictators and tyrants, taking all of its natural resources as if it was a piggy bank.

The DR will only play nice as long as the international community is paying attention, and they can get more support or aid.

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In this case. Who is paying for it ?
Lol

A few decades ago a small delegation of Dominicans went to Israel to see the border fence they built given the success at reducing illegal crossings, a testament further proven by the decrease of bombings by what they consider terrorists. According to one of people that was part of the delegation, Israel basically offered to pay for it since they were going to finance the whole thing and then not require the DR to pay back the loan. There is a strong appreciation of Israel to the DR for what was done in the 1940's and the founding of Sosúa. Of course, the Dominican president at the time completely ignored once the delegation return and presented the government what the Israelis were offering.

In the mean time Israel continues to expand the border fence, which has been controversial precisely because it works. Otherwise the complaint wouldn't come from the side that it does. A border fence does works if its built with that intention. If its built to appease political or social opinions and not really help reduce the problem, is it any wonder if in that case a border fence doesn't work? Its all about desire.

Reactions: aarhus

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Or said another way. Its only the US who can help Haiti. I agree the US is already involved many places. But none are so close as Haiti. I dont believe the theory with China getting involved.
Hmmmm. Haiti as an American protectorate, kinda like Puerto Rico or the VI? That would go over well with my fellow conservatives.

I still do not understand why France should receive a free pass, and have this mess dumped upon others.

Reactions: aarhus

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I love living in this touchy-feely society....

(TROLL MODE ON)

Haiti can only be fixed by a Haitian----- Due to the following factors--

Culture, language, religion, thinking, education, history and the list goes on and on

Haitians (the population not the aristocrats) only understand and fear power not laws, not consequences or words from some outsider. Specially when they are hungry or the kids have no food. they have immediate needs for their survival.

History:
  • 1776 US independence
  • 1804 Haiti independence
  • 1822 Haiti invades the Spanish colony DR
  • 1844 DR independence from HAITI
  • 1937 Trujillo kills all Haitians in the DR territory (massacre del perejil)
Haiti has been dominated by dictators and tyrants, taking all of its natural resources as if it was a piggy bank.

The DR will only play nice as long as the international community is paying attention, and they can get more support or aid.

Do you structure your theory on the tenets of Google, Wikipedia, or Lehman College?
Or is it just an amalgamation of all?

Reactions: johne

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The Great Wall of Hispaniola.
Aside from national security, just think of the benefit to the economy in these troubling times.
Jobs. Opportunities. Jobs. Opportunities. Jobs. Opportunities.
Engineering. Supply. Construction. Security. Travel and Tourism. Walking/Hiking. Backpackers. Restaurants. Cafes. Chico Bill's Condo's & Nightlife.
Build it, and they will come.
Yes, The Great Wall of Hispaniola.

1602776067434.png

1602776111414.png

nsxplus1

Feb 3, 2020
Do you structure your theory on the tenets of Google, Wikipedia, or Lehman College?
Or is it just an amalgamation of all?
caonabo, what is your point???

1- Are you disputing historical facts?
2- Or are you stating that Dominicans and Haitians have something in common?

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas