Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
In a comment I responded to a few weeks ago I basically
said the same thing. I've met a few where I used to live and
all of them were nice people (to me) but I was surprised
when I found out later that all four of them had broken out
of prison over there in Haiti.

I did some volunteer work in Haiti and met little kids who had been incarcerated; my understanding is that people can be jailed for being homeless and numerous other reasons. I think our conception of what a 'convict' is like doesn't apply to the Haitian environment. Maybe someone with more familiarity with Haiti can clarify?

Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I did some volunteer work in Haiti and met little kids who had been incarcerated; my understanding is that people can be jailed for being homeless and numerous other reasons. I think our conception of what a 'convict' is like doesn't apply to the Haitian environment. Maybe someone with more familiarity with Haiti can clarify?

I never heard that nor witnessed it in the north. I have had the police bring homeless kids to me to help, but not putting them in jail.

Reactions: CristoRey

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

I don't know, this was in POP. It was what I was told.

I am a bit confused by these responses. Was it in Haiti or POP that you obtained information that Haiti does not have "convicts" such as other nations?
Actually, you would be correct, in that following the 2010 earthquake, all the Haitian "convicts" escaped prison, and never returned.
This would not occur in responsible nations.
ALL.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
everyone knows Haiti will never prosper until the voodoo hex is removed by 7 voodoo priestess, on the 7th day of of a year ending in 7, and that will never happen

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Buddy I grew up between Duval and New Orleans.
Born and raised in the south, never heard that before.

Sounds like we have us another one of those intellects who
knows what is best for the rest of the world. Clearly you
have no clue about the historical relationship between these
two countries. Haiti is a very real threat to the sovernty of this
nation. I have several Haitians friends living here in Santiago
who will tell you the exact same thing.

Just so I am clear, your rebuttal is where you grew up and how familiar you are with a colloquial expression, your assertion that I "clearly have no clue" about Dominican/Haitian bilateral history, and the opinion you share with "several Haitian friends" in Santiago? With all due respect I don't think that is a very compelling case.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This is not the popular opinion and I'm interested in facts that may dispute it. By any objective measure the problems of Haiti and the Dominican Republic differ more in severity than anything else. In other words, the social and economic problems of Haiti are more intense versions of those of the Dominican Republic, more of the same. No, the Dominican Republic can't independently resolve Haiti's problems but it has a unique role to play due to its geographic location.

Attempts to deny that unique role are irrational and illogical. There is an old saying in the southern United States; "a hit dog will holler". It means forceful rejection of criticism is a tell that the criticized party knows the criticism is truthful. I think that is what is behind the disproportionately emottional dialogue in media and elsewhere among Dominicans when the ills of Haiti and the Dominican Republic are conflated.

The Dominican Republic, like any other country, is motivated to avoid foreign or domestic policies that may exacerbate its socio-economic problems. I think the idea that the Dominican Republic does not have the wherewithal to independently resolve all the problems of Haiti and the Dominican Republic is reasonable. If foreign aid is any indication, the Dominican Republic does not have the wherewithal to resolve all its own problems. Foreign aid and foreign relations come with conditions. The wealthiest countries are not dependent on foreign and therefore determine the conditions of providing it. When the Dominican government balks at being independently responsible for Haiti, my opinion is that it is a reference to sharing its foreign aid with Haiti. In the early 2000s Jacques Chirac, the late French president caught a bit of flak when he referred to Haiti and the Dominican Republic two countries one one island with similar problems. That did not go over well in some circles because it reflected the reality that the rest of the world sees Haiti's problems as regional rather than isolated by its very porous borders.

Arturo, may I be so forward as to ask your nation of origin?

Reactions: CristoRey

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Of course some day Haiti will prosper. Lets have a little optimism. I mean its just not nice towards Haitians all this pessimism.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002

In some cases there is a thin line between incarceration and life as a "restavek"

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
I am a bit confused by these responses. Was it in Haiti or POP that you obtained information that Haiti does not have "convicts" such as other nations?
Actually, you would be correct, in that following the 2010 earthquake, all the Haitian "convicts" escaped prison, and never returned.
This would not occur in responsible nations.
ALL.
I meant Port-au-Prince :)

Reactions: Caonabo

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
If Haiti is an independent country they are responsible for themselves.
Thats very true. I honestly don’t know much about those damages Haiti had to pay to France. But would it be considered legal and fair today.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Seeing this thread I have a hard time understanding the purpose of the Haiti sub forum. I was told it is because what goes on in Haiti always influences the DR. Most posts though are just trashing Haiti and its people. Of course the DR cant be the solution for Haitis problems and of course immigration from there should be tightly controlled and the border. The DR has its own problems. But why the need to completely trash the place. So a bunch of expats on a DR related forum get all upset about Haiti trashing it. Pathetic.

Jan 9, 2004
If Haiti is an independent country they are responsible for themselves.

And they have been unable, despite massive foreign aid, to be responsible for themselves.

Haiti has been the poorest country in the western hemisphere for decades..........reaching back to at least 1956...........which coincides with the rise of "Papa Doc" Duvalier.

The most consistent/longest/effective supplier of beneficial "aid" to the country has been the DR.............in the form of Haitian labor/remittances.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2