Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Listen buster, what do you think this is "a fire sale". Hmmmm , perhaps it would be if there were any trees to burn into charcoal. Dey
done gone, ain't dey??
I bid to high?
This damn La Carta at 10 pesos a cup is killing me, lol

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I still like the idea of Haiti becoming a US or French Protectorate. It would be difficult to convince the Americans and French to take that on.

UKers here will loudly object to what I will say now, but Whitehall has also a quota of blame in this mess. After all, independence was their idea, first floated to the white colonists (after these ones sought aid vía Jamaica to squash the slave rebellion) and later when they negotiated their exit from the mess with Toussaint (this one politely rejected, but Dessalines would retake the idea later, and receive weapons, ammo and naval support from the Royal Navy). The idea was basically to screw France by robbing them of their main source of income (and tit for tat for the French aid to American independence). While it is true that France was royally screwed by having lost what amounted to the source of half their exterior commerce, they would recover later, while Haiti has still yet to recover from having embraced said "stupendous" idea.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think this is uncalled for and this idea is constantly repeated on here. How can you say this. There are many examples of countries that have been turned around. And technology does that countries can leapfrog forward. You never know. If this is the belief of this community why have this Haiti sub forum.
I firmly believe with history as my guide that there is no hope for Haiti. Nobody in their right minds will invest enough money or do enough voluteer work to turn Haiti around. The world has seen how badly every attempt at helping Haiti has gone. There are some broken things to which there is no repair. Is all this a threat to the DR? Yes, and a large threat at that.

Reactions: rfp

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I firmly believe with history as my guide that there is no hope for Haiti. Nobody in their right minds will invest enough money or do enough voluteer work to turn Haiti around. The world has seen how badly every attempt at helping Haiti has gone. There are some broken things to which there is no repair. Is all this a threat to the DR? Yes, and a large threat at that.
Haitis lack of economic development and illegal immigration to the DR is a threat yes. And what do you see as solutions to that ?

Regan

Apr 16, 2020
The UN solution is to make Haiti better by making the DR worse. China is running the UN. If they start loaning to Haiti, it's for the sole purpose of creating default, and justifying occupation, not militarily, but commercially. As long as the escudo Dominicano has a bible in the center, the UN will try, like Trujillo to dilute the culture with anti-western wokeness.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Haitis lack of economic development and illegal immigration to the DR is a threat yes. And what do you see as solutions to that ?
Isreal sent people here a few years
ago to talk border security. The PLD
was in power at that time. Perhaps
the new administration will revisit the idea.

Reactions: Caonabo

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
We could only be so lucky.
Israel knows a thing or two about border security, and has the stones not to bow to international political pressure.
Maybe they can say it’s because of Covid-19 that they have to secure the border

Reactions: JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
He has (under his screen name on first post) a very special status here on DR1. He cleared testing at the airport and received an all expenses paid vaction courtesy of DR1. Isn't that special? Not.
Check again ‼️ I do not need to clear testing at the airport. I LIVE in 🇩🇴. Do you?

And I was not given an all expenses paid vacation courtesy of DR1. I was suspended for three months for the intellectual crime of being "disruptive". But throughout history it has always been disruptive to speak truth to power.

Does that make me special? I don't think so. But I never asked the question or claimed to be either. And when it comes to Haiti I am unsure why grown people up in here cannot agree to disagree. I did my three months and paid my debt to the DR1 society. And my positions on Haiti have not changed. Nor will they based on anything anyone writes here. The hostility to my ideas only add support what my thoughts are.

And from the number of personal attacks directed at the person instead of the ideas tells me there are many intellectually bankrupt people and I will not be meeting them in court.

The problems in Haiti originate with who they are and what they did. And if 🇩🇴 ignores the problem on their flank they will pay the price over the long term. Just one man's opinion.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The DR already pays a price with the failed nation of Haiti next door. The DR is not going to fix Haiti, nor is anyone else.

Not ever. With history as my guide. Haiti is a failed state with no hope of being fixed. There are some things that cannot be fixed.
Haiti is one of those things.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A wall.
Works just fine for Israel.
Or they could do what Egypt does.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The DR already pays a price with the failed nation of Haiti next door. The DR is not going to fix Haiti, nor is anyone else.

Not ever. With history as my guide. Haiti is a failed state with no hope of being fixed. There are some things that cannot be fixed.
Haiti is one of those things.
Perhaps China will step in at some point and buy it. They would love to build a Naval base in Uncle Sam's backyard and I'm sure the incoming US administration would see it as a positive development for the region.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Perhaps China will step in at some point and buy it. They would love to build a Naval base in Uncle Sam's backyard and I'm sure the incoming US administration would see it as a positive development for the region.

You are on the edge and will end up on a vacation from here if you don’t reverse course. Do not go down that path and stick to the subject which is about DR and Haiti.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
History is not a guide. It is entertainment. It is the past. The present is now ‼️ The future has yet to be determined in Haiti.