Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Thank you for a respectful answer to my post. I never suggested that millions of Haitians be admitted. Thousands would be enough.
The D.R. is already struggling and thousands would be too many and millions would not be enough to save Haiti

Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As one of the few posters here who was actually born in the DR, I actually care about the country, and its culturally wonderful neighbour, Haiti. I care that Haitians will die at sea because the DR won't open its doors. It welcomed the German Jews, I'd hoped this thread would be kinder and more compassionate. Are you male or female, AE? Because every time a woman voices a strong opinion here, the old white guys pile on her. Seriously, you don't have to worry about my posts or sharing my computer with another Dominican friend. Once is enough. Guess the DR attracts the MAGA crowd. White male privilege. Men who are afraid of women and of being outnumbered by another, very dark race.
Wah Wah - Kind of tiring to see people hide behind everyone who disagrees with me is a Misogynist, and accuse those responding to their drivel negatively as MAGA.
Maybe you have need for a comfort puppy because that silly band wagon jumping does not work

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As one of the few posters here who was actually born in the DR, I actually care about the country, and its culturally wonderful neighbour, Haiti. I care that Haitians will die at sea because the DR won't open its doors. It welcomed the German Jews, I'd hoped this thread would be kinder and more compassionate. Are you male or female, AE? Because every time a woman voices a strong opinion here, the old white guys pile on her. Seriously, you don't have to worry about my posts or sharing my computer with another Dominican friend. Once is enough. Guess the DR attracts the MAGA crowd. White male privilege. Men who are afraid of women and of being outnumbered by another, very dark race.
You forget to mention your white woman privilege, which now days is several degrees higher than that of a white male. White Liberal females are destroying society, not making it better. They certainly aren't strong independent women, unless you call the Borg independent. There are at least a million illegal Haitians, and another 500,000 legal Haitians in the DR already. Many of them contribute to the economy, but many are a drain on the country, and not just economically. Like any immigrant people, there needs to a process to allow certain numbers in, and effective law and order to control the numbers. The case of the German Jews, as in your family's case, the numbers were much, much smaller.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
You forget to mention your white woman privilege, which now days is several degrees higher than that of a white male. White Liberal females are destroying society, not making it better. They certainly aren't strong independent women, unless you call the Borg independent.
It's called "being a Karen" or Karen privilege, so next time you get to see a "shut up, Karen" being thrown on Facebook or Twitter, you will know to which demographics the person being alluded to belongs to.

There are at least a million illegal Haitians, and another 500,000 legal Haitians in the DR already. Many of them contribute to the economy, but many are a drain on the country, and not just economically. Like any immigrant people, there needs to a process to allow certain numbers in, and effective law and order to control the numbers. The case of the German Jews, as in your family's case, the numbers were much, much smaller.
It always amuses me to no end when Karens like her and other progressive leaning persons liken Haitians to German Jews, when the difference between both populations go beyond the racial question, and fundamentally, speak about one of character/type: Haitians, on the one hand, are fundamentally a peasant population, little removed from their plantation slavery origins, even today. While German Jews, on the other hand, were an urban population, more devoted to the artisan trades and commerce, and this is key, with levels of literacy far beyond what the common Haitian (or even Dominican) today could dream of. It is beyond disingenuous to pretend that the effect of 1.5 million German Jews on the DR would have been the same as the one of the estimated 1.5 million Haitians here today. Let's just say that with 1.5 million Jews, DR would have reached the financial hub status a century earlier instead of it being still on the wet dream status phase it is now.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It always amuses me to no end when Karens like her and other progressive leaning persons liken Haitians to German Jews, when the difference between both populations go beyond the racial question, and fundamentally, speak about one of character/type: Haitians, on the one hand, are fundamentally a peasant population, little removed from their plantation slavery origins, even today. While German Jews, on the other hand, were an urban population, more devoted to the artisan trades and commerce, and this is key, with levels of literacy far beyond what the common Haitian (or even Dominican) today could dream of. It is beyond disingenuous to pretend that the effect of 1.5 million German Jews on the DR would have been the same as the one of the estimated 1.5 million Haitians here today. Let's just say that with 1.5 million Jews, DR would have reached the financial hub status a century earlier instead of it being still on the wet dream status phase it is now.
With the productivity of 1.5 million Jews the DR could support many millions of Haitians or maybe all of Haiti and there would be no need to ask the international community to help the neighbor, the DR could pick up the broken plates on that one. The only problem is the word "could" as in it can't at the moment (and never has). The DR has done more than enough to help the Haitians without interfering in its internal affairs. Perhaps the "Karens" can go to Jamaica and Cuba, as they are the other two neighbors of Haiti, and push for those societies to absorb as many Haitians as the DR has done proportional to their demographic size. The "Karens" can actually be beneficial rather then wasting their time on the DR. Jamaica could take an additional 200,000 and Cuba 1.1 million for a total of 1.3 million.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You forget to mention your white woman privilege, which now days is several degrees higher than that of a white male. White Liberal females are destroying society, not making it better. They certainly aren't strong independent women, unless you call the Borg independent. There are at least a million illegal Haitians, and another 500,000 legal Haitians in the DR already. Many of them contribute to the economy, but many are a drain on the country, and not just economically. Like any immigrant people, there needs to a process to allow certain numbers in, and effective law and order to control the numbers. The case of the German Jews, as in your family's case, the numbers were much, much smaller.
Certainly, less than 0.5% of the population or statistically irrelevant considering the actual amount was much less than that.

It's like seeing the average DNA of Dominicans in one of those sites like 23andme. Very few have anything from the Middle East (Arabs mostly from Lebanon) and they are so few that the Middle East doesn't even registers in the national average. Take into account that Arab immigration into the DR has been taking place at least since the 1880's with the bulk arriving by 1930, hence for much longer and was considerably bigger than the Jews immigration from Nazi Europe. Yet, Arab origin is negligible among Dominicans. Imagine how much less is Jewish origin from that time.

Quite frankly, most Dominicans are of either full or partial colonial origin, many in part from pre-colonial times too. That's at all levels from upper class to lower class, city and country people, cultured and the illiterate; from the north, south, east, and west. There is no legitimate reason why these people should be subjected to what someone's whose family arrived "just the other day" thinks. For a person in such predicament, the review of the history of the DR since colonial times is simply a story read on the pages of a book and nothing more. For others, the vast majority of Dominicans, that's what their ancestors lived through and somehow survived in a way making it possiblle they would exist today. Big difference however you want to cut it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naked_Snake

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
But few years ago the president of an African country said the Haitians will be given free land over there, I forgot the name of that country.

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
He forgot to mention the Japanese Colonia in Constanza.
They developed what today we call La Nueva Suisa.
Agricultura avanzada.

JJ

Reactions: La Profe_1

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Ever notice Karens have extremely high expectations for everybody else but when it comes to them doing their part ....... nada.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
But few years ago the president of an African country said the Haitians will be given free land over there, I forgot the name of that country.

JJ
Senegal but that fell through as Haitians didn't took the offer.

During the 2010 earthquake the Prime Minister of Jamaica promised the hospitals of that island were going to accept as many injured Haitians that need the service, but once Haitians began to arrive in Jamaica they rescinded the offer claiming Jamaican hospitals would be swamped by Haitians. Obviously, Jamaican hospitals are for attending Jamaicans.

Reactions: bachata

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Unlike jews, very few Haitians would qualify as refugees. Refuge has its rules, for instance, that your life is in danger because you're being persecuted due to your race, nationality, religion, or being a part of a social, social, or political group, etc.
It's like the Dominicans going all the way to the US-Mexico border, and doing the same thing. Most Dominicans wouldn't qualify for it. Unfortunately, people from lots of Latin American countries are going through hardships, but still, many of them would probably not qualify as refugees.

Open doors is not the solution. I think that doors have been way too open already. It's very hard for one underdeveloped country to assimilate so many immigrants from another country that's worse off. Even rich countries in Europe collaborated with each other during the immigration crisis.